• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spiked Shield.

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Spiked Shield.

Postby mitchiemasha » March 8th, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally my spiked shield was 'Any skulls rolled in defence hit the Attacker'. I liked it because it's simple but obviously this is seriously OP. It was supposed to be the Heroes reflection of the Orcs Waaagh mechanic, 'Skulls rolled in defence hit the attacker, even if killed'. With a recent update to 'Defended with white shield rolled in the initial attack roll' (thanks to a few other threads here), instead of a freshly rolled defence.

This reflected mechanic with a well equipped Hero means an average roll would be devastating, blocking all the hits a monster could deliver and killing it with the counter. It's not a problem for monsters to have the rule... as they'd likely die from not rolling enough shields in the first place.

New Armoury Rule

Spiked Shield: Any extra White Shields rolled in defence are hits against the attacker.

Thematically i think this fits perfectly. If faced with 2 skulls and the Hero rolls 4 White shields, that's 2 hits against the attacker. The extra unneeded power of the block are hits. Which is how this should work.

Any thought? I'm unsure about the word 'extra', should this be 'excessive' hits? what 1 word explains it perfectly?
Last edited by mitchiemasha on March 8th, 2018, 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spiked Shield.

Postby knightkrawler » March 8th, 2018, 12:24 am

"Any white shield rolled in defence in excess of blocking all hits are in return hits against the attacker."

I know how you're a stickler for brevity, but I can't think of any shorter wording.
You talk sense there, thematically.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 8th, 2018, 12:38 am

knightkrawler wrote:"Any white shield rolled in defence in excess of blocking all hits are in return hits against the attacker."

I know how you're a stickler for brevity, but I can't think of any shorter wording.

Brevity. I've just learnt (or should that be learned) an new word, thank you.

That wording would be perfect for the actual rule book but the line is too long for the table.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » March 8th, 2018, 12:46 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Any extra White Shields rolled in defence are hits against the attacker.

Thematically i think this fits perfectly. If faced with 2 skulls and the Hero rolls 4 White shields, that's 2 hits against the attacker. The extra unneeded power of the block are hits. Which is how this should work.

Any thought? I'm unsure about the word 'extra', should this be 'excessive' hits? what 1 word explains it perfectly?

I would maybe go with - "Any excess White Shields rolled on defense become return undefended hits on the attacker."

Or shorter version - "Any excess White Shields rolled count as hits on the attacker."
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 8th, 2018, 1:09 am

j_dean80 wrote:I would maybe go with - "Any excess White Shields rolled on defense become return undefended hits on the attacker."

Or shorter version - "Any excess White Shields rolled count as hits on the attacker."

The 1st suggests that the attacker doesn't get to defend to those return hits.
The 2nd might suggest that White shields rolled in attack would count as hits, as defense isn't specified but... It does specify 'the attacker', which would make it defence only. This could work.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 8th, 2018, 2:59 am

After a few more hours thought!
Some may interpret the words "Any excess White Shields rolled count as hits on the attacker" as... White Shields rolled when you attack, are hits on yourself. Believing the weapon to have a negative in use.

Currently I'm going with
"Spiked Shield: Excess White Shields in your defence roll hit your opponent"

Thank you for the input. Any more thoughts welcomed and appreciated. I think about this way too much.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 8th, 2018, 5:10 am

i guess it's clear enough for your table. it's your style anyways, so it's fine. some might ask and debate the meaning of "in excess". as in "in excess of what"?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » March 8th, 2018, 7:38 am

You could cap it to one skulls worth of an attack if you have any excess shields, so the attacker loses 1BP if you have any excess white shields and the attacker didn't roll any black shields.

You could also only allow it's attack if you successfully defended their attack.

Just ideas, I think I'd definitely make it only if you successfully defend.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » March 8th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Gold Bearer wrote: I think I'd definitely make it only if you successfully defend.

Yes... that should be how it works. I moved away completely from the idea of it being skulls.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 8th, 2018, 4:34 pm

knightkrawler wrote:i guess it's clear enough for your table. it's your style anyways, so it's fine. some might ask and debate the meaning of "in excess". as in "in excess of what"?

It's driving me insane, lol! The words scrambling in mind, constructing, deconstructing, rearranging. Some sort of 'Word plague' or 'curse'!!!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules