• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Spiced Up edition A Hero's Quest.

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HeroQuest Spiced Up edition A Hero's Quest.

Postby Gold Bearer » January 24th, 2016, 9:47 am

Maybe when an undead monster is killed with all skulls it's properly killed. That would make it easier to kill them with smaller weapons to represent precision strikes to the brain, or neck I suppose for skellies. Not sure if it's worth adding or not. It's quite nice but it makes the whole mechanic more fiddly.

Skull = Get back up on 1BP, White Shield = Stay down, Black Shield = Get back up full BP but can't take a turn this round.

I think they should be able to take their turn when they get up, at least most of the time. It would pretty much kill it as a threat if they couldn't.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » January 24th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Gold Bearer wrote: It's quite nice but it makes the whole mechanic more fiddly

Agreed

I think they should be able to take their turn when they get up, at least most of the time. It would pretty much kill it as a threat if they couldn't.

Not really, have you PT'd it yet? The threat is in the need to put it back down again. If there are multiples is the threat.

Skull = Get back up on 1BP, White Shield = Stay down, Black Shield = Get back up full BP but can't take a turn this round.

I'd say it needs to be more like
Skull = Dies, White Shield = Stays down, Black Shield = Gets back Up. Especially if it can move and attack that turn.
Skull = Nothing Happens, White Shields = Gets back up, Black Shield = Dies. If can't move or attack that turn. The only problem I have with this option is it doesn't match the symbols correctly. Balance wise it's the best option.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 24th, 2016, 4:41 pm

I've changed mine to skull = get buck up but can't take a turn, white shield = stays down, black shield = gets back up and can take a turn and they always get up with 1BP.

What do you think?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 25th, 2016, 6:03 am

That's better.

I've realised a problem with the mummy paralysis curse. Should it be, each hero on first encountering the mummy, just the first Hero or 1 hero per Mummy. if 1 hero per mummy that suggests it's the mummy specifically locking the Hero. if it's each hero some kind of fear strike over each. Just the first Hero allows for the second to come in an attack, making this more dangerous when alone.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 25th, 2016, 10:31 am

Here's my write up for undead...

Undead Special
The curse on this tomb is strong. The Undead are easily reanimated and must be 'finished off'.

When reduced to 0BP, lay the monster down in its square. Downed monsters don't block LoS or movement but movement can’t end on. The EWP rolls 1Cd6 for each downed before attempting to move.

Skull = Reanimated, can’t move or attack this turn.
White Shield = Nothing happens.
Black Shield = Reanimated, can move and attack this turn.
Reanimated = Stand the monster up, it now has 1BP.

A Hero can ‘finish off’ a downed monster by moving onto its square and using their attack action.
To ‘finish off’ a downed monster, move onto its square and spend your attack action

Still wish I could work in a death.

Edit: I rewrote the last line. The use of 'it' and 'their' to some might not read clear enough. As it/their can refer to the Hero or the Monster. Obviously a Hero can't spend a monsters attack action but still... needs to be clear. Removing Hero from the sentence now leaves 'it', 100% sure, a reference to the monster. And, 'your' being the actor is clearer then using the word 'their'.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 25th, 2016, 1:37 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Should it be, each hero on first encountering the mummy, just the first Hero or 1 hero per Mummy.
Probably just the first hero. Otherwise it will be frustrating for the other players knowing that their turn will end if they move into the room.

mitchiemasha wrote:Downed monsters don't block LoS or movement but movement can’t end on.
On...

mitchiemasha wrote:Skull = Reanimated, can’t move or attack this turn.
White Shield = Nothing happens.
Black Shield = Reanimated, can move and attack this turn.
Reanimated = Stand the monster up, it now has 1BP.

Still wish I could work in a death.
Why? Finishing downed monsters is the best part. :)

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 26th, 2016, 1:29 am

If a word is repeated but is unnecessary, it can be removed. Reading rules can get tedious as you read the same word over and over. Especially off putting the more words contained, like this post!

Gold Bearer wrote:On...

The sentence starts with 'downed monsters', it then says what they don't do. The 'but' becomes the conjoining word, this links the 'ended on' to the subject matter from before, which is 'downed Monsters'. So, Downed Monsters, movement can't be ended on. (Edit:Which needs to include 'unless finished off'. Line needs to be rewrote, argh, lol)

I write my rules to take up as little space as possible. A paragraph will get rewrote many times as I realise new interpretation, possibilities.

Chaos Tokens - From Advance HeroQuest
The Evil Wizard Player draws a token using the ‘Rotation’ and/or ‘Egg Timer’ rules. Once drawn the EWP can look at the token but keeps it secret from the Heroes. A token can be activated at various moments throughout the Quest. To activate, the EWP calls out its name, reveals it to the Heroes and implements the effect. Multiple tokens can be held but only one activated at a time, discard after use.

Rotation - At the start of the EWP phase, if no monsters were in play that turn.
Egg Timer - Every 2 mins the Heroes take to complete a round. Increase decrease accordingly… 30s/Hero in play. Pause the timer when revealing a room.

That used to take up over half a page, trying to get all the mechanics in. The more I realised possible interpretations, the more wordy it got. After many months I managed to get it down but keeping all the mechanics.

It's considered bad writing to repeat a word too many times. It's also considered bad to rely too heavily on 'it', especially when starting a sentence (as the reader has yet to learn what 'it' is referring to). When writing rules, the Chaos Tokens are a perfect example of these problems. One either has to keep repeating the word 'tokens' or use 'it'.

I'll give a simple example of a current correction, fixing a potential miss interpretation and removing a repetition. "Once drawn the EWP can look at the token but keeps it secret from the Heroes". I change this to "Once drawn the EW can look to check the type but keeps it secret from the Heroes". Before it didn't specify which side you could look at (edit: Sorry... The first example didn't specify which side the EW could look at), lol!!! I should put 'token' before 'type' and I may re add it.

To activate, the EW calls out its name, reveals it to the Heroes and implements the effect.

That is also bad. With in the sentence their is no reference to what the 'it' is referring. But, as the 'it' is always the token in the entire paragraph, it can be excused. Just like the 'check the type' sentence.

Other things that can be removed... 'Player', 'the tokens' after multiples, 'from the heroes' after secret and I changed 'rules' to mechanics. I hate the term rules. No one likes rules, especially kids. What's better, game Mechanics or game Rules? The term rules usually refers to restrictions people don't like. The word has a natural aversion.

The Evil Wizard draws a token '*randomly*' using the ‘Rotation’ and/or ‘Egg Timer’ mechanic. Once drawn the EW can check the token type but keeps it secret. A token can be activated at various moments throughout the Quest. To activate, the EW calls out its name, reveals it to the Heroes and implements the effect. Multiples can be held but only one activated at a time, discard after use.

I wish I still had my first write up, it was way too long. How I was trying to explain the EW can't look before drawing, then I had images of people drawing art not actually picking a token. The word pick, in my head, suggests I can choose which one I want. Issues with an EW not realising he has to show heroes but not til it's used etc. Even the rotation mechanic was way more complicated but the same. Words can mean many things to different people!

I've become over fascinated in this subject...lol!!! Lots to learn, far from an expert.

Edit: see '*randomly*' this can imply at anytime which you'd then learn is incorrect... So a better version would be "The Evil Wizard draws a random token using..." This is exactly what I'm on about. I've changed the wording many times in just sharing the info in this post. Writing mechanics really opens your mind to interpretation, it's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by mitchiemasha on July 14th, 2016, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 3rd, 2016, 10:58 am

Oops! can I have this thread moved to the HQ rules section of the forum please.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 14th, 2016, 5:56 am

Good idea of presenting just two pages of key rules for Inn members to check out. I also like how your Mind Point creation formula works--nice description. I can see how some skills like healing or monster control fit as two-point skills. Only a bit of judgment is needed to weight it properly, and it looks like you nailed it.

knightkrawler wrote:Can anybody link me to where Sotiris' token system rules?

http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=2654
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 14th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Daedalus. I've been struggling with that concept for years. I know how I want it to work but getting it in to a a few lines that makes perfect sense has seen it rewrote many times. I kind of want the... say one picks a character with weapons skill but put's it to attack, that's always +1 to attack. Puts it to defence +1 defence. Puts it to range +1 to range.

Other mods like the Undead Finished off rule are going to be quest specific for the expansion i might finish in 3 to 4 years.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules