• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Experimental Alchemy (Alchemist rule thread)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Experimental Alchemy (Alchemist rule thread)

Postby Kurgan » December 8th, 2020, 3:38 am

j_dean80 wrote:So I was thinking about the new Potion German dice and it brought me back to this thread. I would use the blue set (4 Potion/1 Skull/1 Blank) when the Alchemist mixed a recipe. If he rolls a Potion his mix is successful. A Blank then his mix fails, he loses his used potions. A Skull and his mix explodes causing 1 BP damage. If there is an Alchemist Bench then he doesn’t roll the dice, it’s always successful.

I was thinking along similar lines. I already have my Alchemist character (which is simply a full-redressed "demagicified" version of the Wizard), but having a use for those Potion dice would be really neat. Mixing potions is great, but the question is... why can't any other character do it? I guess because there IS some element of danger and mystery involved that only he (or she) is capable of doing.

I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering how many cards are "too many" to manage. But if there's a deck just for this character, that's not so bad. He may not play in every quest and doesn't have to split them with others, after all. There's already precedent for characters that have their own cards both in my own system and that of others (even the Remake does this). I'm definitely on the "simplicity" side for this. In the classic Game System, the Wizard is the most complex and strategic character to play effectively, after all.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Lemmeron » December 8th, 2020, 6:36 pm

This thread has been a good read with some great ideas and types of cards. My thoughts on alchemist are a bit more simple for keeping with hero quest complexity.
Mine is a scholarly dwarf

He (or she) draws a few cards from this alchemy set at the start of each quest
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

more details can be found in my thread here for those interested.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 10th, 2020, 11:18 pm

So I got my Alchemist from Reaper but couldn’t find a good female so created it at Hero Forge. Now I just need to hash out my Alchemist abilities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 12th, 2020, 9:36 am

Homebrew is good. So not a fan of Sascha Dubois or that Herbalist? It's true most of Reaper's female casters seem to be clerics, druids, wizards, or witches.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » December 12th, 2020, 10:18 am

Kurgan wrote:Homebrew is good. So not a fan of Sascha Dubois or that Herbalist? It's true most of Reaper's female casters seem to be clerics, druids, wizards, or witches.

None say “Alchemist” to me. I was looking for a flask in hand.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby monnock777 » July 12th, 2023, 11:15 pm

For my alchemist he has this ability.

Alchemist Kit
In each room you may search for alchemical components. Using the 3 blue combat dice. Rolling 1 per room, when you have collected a skull, shield and evil shield. You draw 2 random potion cards keeping one of them. Alchemist workbench will give any 2 dice facings once.

Blue dice have facing of 3 skull, 1 shield, 2 black shield.

After mulling over this, it doesn't seem to work well. What systems have you used that seem to work well.
monnock777

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » July 15th, 2023, 9:21 am

In the new Rise of the Dread Moon we have basic confirmation that the Wizard is already an Alchemist (doesn't need a re-agent kit to craft potions at the Alchemist Bench from the 20 card deck). But, that's Avalon Hill's system. Still lots of room for creativity in this area and different approaches!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby monnock777 » July 17th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Kurgan wrote:In the new Rise of the Dread Moon we have basic confirmation that the Wizard is already an Alchemist (doesn't need a re-agent kit to craft potions at the Alchemist Bench from the 20 card deck). But, that's Avalon Hill's system. Still lots of room for creativity in this area and different approaches!

I understand that new official rules are coming out all the time now.

Update my alchemist kit rule.
Alchemist Kit
In each room you may search for alchemical components. Using 2 yellow combat dice. For each shield you roll you can claim at potion chit. At anytime when unseen by an enemy you can craft a potion. Each potion has a different component cost. Each potion chit is worth 1 potion cost range from 3-6 components. Alchemist workbench will have 1 red die of component chits.
monnock777

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Previous

Return to Rules