• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Experimental Alchemy (Alchemist rule thread)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Experimental Alchemy (Alchemist rule thread)

Postby j_dean80 » January 2nd, 2017, 1:29 pm

How I would make the Alchemist unique from other Heroes:

Alchemists traditionally are not Sorcerers so I would not give him any Spell Cards. He should be able to create Fighting Potions and Healing Potions as his main focus. Leave attack and defense similar to Wizard. I would give him the same MP but 1 extra BP. (That should make up for the lack of all the Spells.)

Every time another Hero draws a treasure card with a Potion the Alchemist also receives a half of that same Potion.

He should have a formula chart to mix different Potions. As an Action, he can mix a new Potion. (If he has the needed Potions on the recipe.) When in a room with an Alchemist Bench he can mix a Potion as a free Action or choose a basic Potion off the Bench (Once per Quest).

Between Quests he would gain 4 basic Potions.

Each time he mixes a Potion roll 1 white die. If a black shield is rolled then his mix failed and he loses 1 BP.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » January 2nd, 2017, 2:38 pm

I wrote up a card deck for my Alchemist that is based on potions.
The difference to spells is most of them do not require an action.
He may choose 6 from 12 before a quest and he may use one equipment card that a wizard is not allowed to.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 6th, 2017, 11:18 pm

My current plan for the Alchemist: Color-code all the Potions and give him a set of roughly 24 formulas, which he can use a number of in between Quests up to his Mind Points. Some formulas are more complicated than others - the number of "winged grail" icons dictates how complex the reaction is.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Pay special attention to that last one: according to the Wikipedia article on the alchemists' Magnum Opus, or Great Work, there are four processes to undergo, corresponding to the colors Black, White, Yellow and Red. Nigredo is but the first of those four. To see the rest, you'll have to look through my Dropbox folder of Alchemy!

(i offer no apologies for the fact that these cards are not written with players of vanilla hero quest in mind)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 7th, 2017, 4:04 am

Seem to be some itallic formatting missing ;)

I take it the notes I put together for you where not useful. I barely remeber back then though! Seems like forever!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 7th, 2017, 8:02 am

Although the Latin-ese names were cool, in the end I decided it would be simpler to just stick with the original potion names and re-label them with color/potency combinations. I mean, imagine going through the Treasure Deck and finding an "Ignis Ratio" or an "Aqua Vitae" - what's a Barbarian to do when he can barely read, let alone think?! :P

I do feel a little bad about wasting your hard work, though - there's nothing inherently wrong with names like "Terra Summa" and the like, and they win big style points. Perhaps I just haven't been creative enough to use them yet.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 7th, 2017, 8:14 am

May steal them back for another project...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 7th, 2017, 8:46 am

Five of 12 Concoctions for my Alchemist who basically has the Wizard role including rules,
BUT discarding a concoction is not an action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » April 7th, 2017, 8:51 am

Five more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » April 7th, 2017, 8:54 am

And the last two plus the card back.
The Alchemist picks 6 of these 12 before a quest, which weighs back down the advantage of no-action-casting.
The icons under the titles are quite intuitive methinks.
A target figure (that man with the full-body-halo) must be adjacent or the Alchemist himself.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » December 8th, 2020, 12:49 am

So I was thinking about the new Potion German dice and it brought me back to this thread. I would use the blue set (4 Potion/1 Skull/1 Blank) when the Alchemist mixed a recipe. If he rolls a Potion his mix is successful. A Blank then his mix fails, he loses his used potions. A Skull and his mix explodes causing 1 BP damage. If there is an Alchemist Bench then he doesn’t roll the dice, it’s always successful.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules