• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Wizard Clearing House of House Rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: The Wizard Clearing House of House Rules

Postby cynthialee » November 21st, 2014, 7:56 pm

So I was thinking on my proposal for the mechanic where if a mage kills he keeps the spell...

Alternant idea in a similar vein:
Artifact Blood Stone Relic
This artifact enables the Wizard to claim a portion of the life force of a recent victim to refresh a prior cast spell. This Artifact may be called on twice per Quest. The victim must have been killed via magic for the Blood Stone Relic to harvest life force. Activation of this artifact reduces the casters Mind Score by one point.
Only the Wizard may equip this item.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sajungzak » November 21st, 2014, 8:03 pm

So... The circlet I posted links to on the first page of this thread allows the wizard to cast each spell twice and choose either +1 MP or +1 BP. It is a set of artifacts that can be found throughout the Gathering Storm.
In the UK it is called Karlen's Circlet. Adapting it for the US quest book, I changed the name to Wardoz's Circlet.

What do you think? Is this op?
Last edited by sajungzak on November 21st, 2014, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 21st, 2014, 8:09 pm

sajungzak wrote:So... The circlet I posted links to on the fist page of this thread allows the wizard to cast each spell twice and choose either +1 mp or +1 bp. It is a set of artifacts that can be found throughout the gathering storm.

Is this op?

Not at end game, but for starting or midlevel yeah...a bit OP for sure. For endgame characters it is pretty spiffy. Although I would make it +1 Mind always if you wanted to include a perma buff on the item.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sajungzak » November 21st, 2014, 8:15 pm

It would be easy to change it to pick one extra from each spell group. Each piece is separate, though, so it could be held back until appropriate.

I like having cards for a major house rule like this. Feels official.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 21st, 2014, 10:39 pm

sajungzak wrote:It would be easy to change it to pick one extra from each spell group. Each piece is separate, though, so it could be held back until appropriate.

I like having cards for a major house rule like this. Feels official.

I do too. Just has the Official feel.
I printed out a bunch of HQ stuff from here at the Inn, made cards and whatnot.

I really like assigning the Elf Spells to the Elf and just giving all the Elemental Spells to the Wizard.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » November 22nd, 2014, 12:06 am

cynthialee wrote:Alternant idea in a similar vein:
This artifact enables the Wizard to claim a portion of the life force of a recent victim to refresh a prior cast spell. This Artifact may be called on twice per Quest. The victim must have been killed via magic for the Blood Stone Relic to harvest life force. Activation of this artifact reduces the casters Mind Score by one point.

The description of how it works sounds like an evil chaos magic item that only a minion of Zargon would use. So it is not really appropriate for the wizard HERO. If he uses it more than a few times he is using the power too much and it corrupts him… Then the three other heroes are sent out to find the wizard and when they do he's just like Wardoz.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 22nd, 2014, 12:07 am

Looking over this old post: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=941&hilit=buffing+the+wizard ...a few of the big differences between the NA and UK editions are that the UK staff has 2 attack dice instead of 1 (like in the NA edition,) UK has cloak and bracers purchasable by the wizard, and finally, the artifact cards... I wasn't aware that in the UK version there are no restrictions for the Wizard using artifacts (Borin's Armor, Orc's Bane, Spirit Blade, the works...) and not that these pics from the sticker pack that Sjeng scanned aren't "canon," BUT check at our magic boy workin' it in Borin's Armor:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 22nd, 2014, 1:02 am

whitebeard wrote:
cynthialee wrote:Alternant idea in a similar vein:

The description of how it works sounds like an evil chaos magic item that only a minion of Zargon would use. So it is not really appropriate for the wizard HERO. If he uses it more than a few times he is using the power too much and it corrupts him… Then the three other heroes are sent out to find the wizard and when they do he's just like Wardoz.

Been thinking on this for the last hour and I must disagree.
If the Wizard has to use the life force of greenskins and chaos minions to put an end to the evil one then it is what it is. There are no black and whites in the world, just infinite shades of grey.
If it was an RPG and the Player let misplaced moralizing get in the way of doing what needs to be done then I think that would net a sanction on their Alignment for D&D, Humanity for Vampire and Karma for Saga.
Sometimes one has to do some grizzly stuff to keep society safe.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » November 22nd, 2014, 2:50 am

whitebeard wrote:The wizard does not have 4 body points. With his healing he has at least 8 to start every quest. These should be viewed as his to give away, or not. He is definitely not weak for this reason.

Yes, he is weak because of 4 Body Points. If he heals himself, he has a maximum of 7, as he can't wait for zero to spend his spell.
It happened to me that the wizard was full, and searching for treasures. After all, if you're full, what can happen to you?.

:wizard: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Wandering Monster. :skeleton:

:skeleton: :skull: :skull:
:wizard: :blackshield: :skull:
:wizard: :redheart: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:

Morcars Turn.
:wizard: :skull: :skull:
:wizard: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:

Yes, he is weak because of 4 BP.

Plus, missing Tools everywhere.
Whereas, if the wizard can use Borins Armour and Orc Bane and Spirit Blade and such in the UK version, i wouldn't regard him as underpowered anymore, the opposite.
Then he can do the fighting AND the magic. Not bad after all!
Maybe this is the solution, just invent three or four differend Staffs for the wizard, with different Fight Stats. One is more to store magic, the other one has an attack dice more (so 3 in the europe version), and so on.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 22nd, 2014, 3:24 am

Anderas wrote:Yes, he is weak because of 4 Body Points. If he heals himself, he has a maximum of 7, as he can't wait for zero to spend his spell.
It happened to me that the wizard was full, and searching for treasures. After all, if you're full, what can happen to you?.

:wizard: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Wandering Monster. :skeleton:

:wizard: :blackshield: :skull:
:wizard: :redheart: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:

Morcars Turn.
:wizard: :skull: :skull:
:wizard: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:

Yes, he is weak because of 4 BP.

Plus, missing Tools everywhere.
Whereas, if the wizard can use Borins Armour and Orc Bane and Spirit Blade and such in the UK version, i wouldn't regard him as underpowered anymore, the opposite.
Then he can do the fighting AND the magic. Not bad after all!
Maybe this is the solution, just invent three or four differend Staffs for the wizard, with different Fight Stats. One is more to store magic, the other one has an attack dice more (so 3 in the europe version), and so on.

QFT. Seen exactly this happen at least four times. It would help to tweak the NA rule for dead heroes and using healing spells as opposed to potions in the event of a hero losing the last BP. In itself, this could help strengthen the Wizard in relation to Barbarian and Dwarf, if not the Elf, too. I'm assuming here they both have one healing spell, but the Wiz might have both.

Here's a simple idea with several variants: Once per quest, when the Wizard loses his last Body point, he may sacrifice two Mind points for regaining one Body point (or three for two ?). (When he does this, he must pay 75 gold coins between quests to regain Mind points sacrificed this way to add to his starting Mind points score).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Rules