• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Wizard Clearing House of House Rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: The Wizard Clearing House of House Rules

Postby Jade » August 7th, 2017, 11:52 pm

So, as I understand it, the Wizard has two primary problems:
#1: He often runs out of useful things to do, so ends up sitting around twiddling his thumbs.
#2: He can't keep up with the rest of the party as they scale in damage (let alone toughness)—he falls behind and becomes even more lame.

As an attempt to remedy these issues, I'm considering the following house rules:

#1: Wizard LOS—the Wizard may ignore monsters and heroes for determining LOS.

#2: Evercast—The Wizard may choose one spell available to him that he never loses and may cast over and over again. It must be one of the following spells:
  • Swift Wind
  • Pass Through Rock
  • Veil of Mist
  • Fire of Wrath

#3: At some point, the Wizard will get a 4th group of spells. Not sure when this should be yet, but not at very first. This is to help him keep up in utility with the other heroes to some small extent.

#4: At some point, the Wizard will get access to the extra three spell groups. Also not sure when this should be, but no later than when he becomes a Champion.

Regarding the Evercast ability—I suspect that Fire of Wrath will be the most popular choice, but I figured I'd leave options. Regardless, my goal is to make it difficult to abuse and not exceptionally powerful (though starting out with a ranged weapon that can be used over and over again would be quite powerful). I also intend to add a rule that the Evercast spell is temporarily lost (turned over) when cast, and an action must be used to restore it so it can be cast again. As such, the Evercast spell can never be cast twice in a row, and can be cast every other turn only if the Wizard isn't using any other actions. For the utility spells this is likely a non-issue, but it makes Fire of Wrath even less OP.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » August 8th, 2017, 12:25 am

This is actually pretty good. One cool exploit that comes to mind is you take the three elements that are not of the spell school your perma spell comes from. That way you start play with 10 spells. :D

I give the wizard the 4th deck of elemental decks after a measly 10 quests. As I give the Elf the elf spells it doesn't cause an issue.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 8th, 2017, 7:23 am

Jade wrote:#1: He often runs out of useful things to do, so ends up sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

I've never notice this but then again we ALWAYS play mods.

#2: He can't keep up with the rest of the party as they scale in damage (let alone toughness)—he falls behind and becomes even more lame.

There's still things that he scales with from the armoury.

#1: Wizard LOS—the Wizard may ignore monsters and heroes for determining LOS.

We do this depending on the type of spell.

#2: Evercast—The Wizard may choose one spell available to him that he never loses and may cast over and over again. It must be one of the following spells:
  • Swift Wind
  • Pass Through Rock
  • Veil of Mist
  • Fire of Wrath

I'd appose this as default, unless a special character trait. I prefer it to stay with inscribing scrolls at the sorcerers table or the wand of recal etc.

#3: At some point, the Wizard will get a 4th group of spells. Not sure when this should be yet, but not at very first. This is to help him keep up in utility with the other heroes to some small extent.

We do this with the Talisman or any other way MP is increased by 2.

Regarding the Evercast ability—I suspect that Fire of Wrath will be the most popular choice, but I figured I'd leave options. Regardless, my goal is to make it difficult to abuse and not exceptionally powerful (though starting out with a ranged weapon that can be used over and over again would be quite powerful). I also intend to add a rule that the Evercast spell is temporarily lost (turned over) when cast, and an action must be used to restore it so it can be cast again. As such, the Evercast spell can never be cast twice in a row, and can be cast every other turn only if the Wizard isn't using any other actions. For the utility spells this is likely a non-issue, but it makes Fire of Wrath even less OP.

I'd prefer that to be a artifact found in a Quest, the Staff of Wrath. Adding the tapped card mechanic and action to restore is a good addition. It would be interesting to make the Evercast more a character class specific. Like how Vail of Mist would be that of a sneaky illusionist rather than a generic wizard.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » August 8th, 2017, 8:34 am

In the US version (which is what I have), the Wizard maxes out at 2 Att 3 Def, and only with artifacts. The only upgrades he is allowed to purchase at the armoury (apart from potions from the expansions) are the quarterstaff, which in the US version is 1 Att die w/ diagonals, or daggers, which are 1 attack die but may be thrown. Short of artifacts, he has no access to anything above 1 Att 2 Def. So I really don't think he scales much with the Armoury.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 8th, 2017, 9:31 am

Jade wrote:In the US version (which is what I have), the Wizard maxes out at 2 Att 3 Def, and only with artifacts. The only upgrades he is allowed to purchase at the armoury (apart from potions from the expansions) are the quarterstaff, which in the US version is 1 Att die w/ diagonals, or daggers, which are 1 attack die but may be thrown. Short of artifacts, he has no access to anything above 1 Att 2 Def. So I really don't think he scales much with the Armoury.

Oh dear, that is bad. UK/EU have the Staff 2Ad6, Cloak of Protection +1Dd6, Bracers +1Dd6. Giving 1 extra Attack and Defence D6 over US. I guess it was the American who wanted to insist on making the wizard weaker. The UK spells are better too. It was always a good idea to cast Rock Skin on your self in the 1st turn, there's no point saving this spell. However it would usually take getting half way through the 1st Quest pack to figure this out. With the Wizard you improve by learning how to play him, effective use of the spells, which is quite fitting for those who like Wizard characters, unlike those who prefer the blind brutality of a barbarian. This means if you already know how to play the Wizard effectively, you're seriously OP if at the start, it's the Heroes that need to catch up.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » August 8th, 2017, 11:00 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Oh dear, that is bad. UK/EU have the Staff 2Ad6, Cloak of Protection +1Dd6, Bracers +1Dd6. Giving 1 extra Attack and Defence D6 over US. I guess it was the American who wanted to insist on making the wizard weaker. The UK spells are better too. It was always a good idea to cast Rock Skin on your self in the 1st turn, there's no point saving this spell. However it would usually take getting half way through the 1st Quest pack to figure this out. With the Wizard you improve by learning how to play him, effective use of the spells, which is quite fitting for those who like Wizard characters, unlike those who prefer the blind brutality of a barbarian. This means if you already know how to play the Wizard effectively, you're seriously OP if at the start, it's the Heroes that need to catch up.
Not to mention being able to use Borin's Armour and the Spirit Blade for a total of six defence and three attack dice, four against undead.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » August 8th, 2017, 11:23 am

a wizard in Borins Armor and wielding the Spirit Blade...that would rock

But it would fly like a lead balloon. Breaks two almost cardinal rules of magic users in the RPG culture of this side of the world...no armor or swords for the wizard.

As I have a UK version and like 3 American version sets I do pull out some of the cards for the wizard from the UK set. Like the bracers.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » August 8th, 2017, 11:27 am

cynthialee wrote:a wizard in Borins Armor and wielding the Spirit Blade...that would rock

But it would fly like a lead balloon. Breaks two almost cardinal rules of magic users in the RPG culture of this side of the world...no armor or swords for the wizard.
Armour yes, not so much swords. Warhammer and LotR springs to mind.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jade » August 8th, 2017, 11:31 am

Gold Bearer wrote:
cynthialee wrote:a wizard in Borins Armor and wielding the Spirit Blade...that would rock

Armour yes, not so much swords. Warhammer and LotR springs to mind.

HeroQuest is actually the only thing I'm aware of that bans Wizards from using swords.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » August 8th, 2017, 11:51 am

Jade wrote:HeroQuest is actually the only thing I'm aware of that bans Wizards from using swords.
D&D ;)

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Rules