• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Revised Edition

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HeroQuest Revised Edition

Postby slev » October 11th, 2020, 8:58 am

No problemo!

Now working on Playthings of the Damned...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Black Drazon » January 4th, 2021, 2:16 am

Hello again, slev! I wandered back in to see how much progress you had made, and was really impressed by all the updates! Sorry to hear about the website. While I was doing my read, I made another pass of edits, make of them what you will. Maybe you're aware of these, maybe you've even addressed them somewhere, and sorry if that's the case! Unfortunately, I only thought to take down notes part-way through my read of the Quest Books, which I did dead last. I went back over the rest of the content but I definitely overlooked some typos that I remember, but can't find any longer. Sorry about that!

Rule Book
  • The rules for Exploration mention the Sentry ability, but the rules for Doors (one paragraph later) do not even though Sentry should also apply there. I would either mention Sentry in both, or in neither.
  • Strictly speaking, the rules for Jumping never actually say that rolling a Skull causes you to stop jumping, to suffer the effects of the current square, etc. It only says that rolling shields does the opposite.
  • Disarm Traps Action: Typo: "If a Furniture Trap, it's effects" instead of "its"
  • Recording Damage: While this isn't required, no recommendation is given for keeping track of Mind Point damage to Monsters or Ment-at-Arms.
  • The Maze, The Labyrinth: While these quests appear before the Advanced rules, you might want to clarify that they won't provide any Fame in the note at the end of the quest.
  • Advanced Rules, New Quest Packs, typos: "Playthings of the damned" instead of "Damned," "Rise of the dark God" instead of "Dark," "Balance" instead of "balance."
  • Fate, typo: "this is the ,most"

Dungeon Guide
  • A Hurricane Trap ends after one or more figures picked up by a trap, "have been blown into a Chasm, Pit Trap or Well of Darkness Trap." Does this mean that the leading figure falls into a trap, and the others stop where they stand, or something else?
  • This is nitpicking on my part, but the phrasing of the Cage Room is unusual: the cage isn't locked or unlocked, but is rather a one-way door that requires outside help to exit.
  • Circle of Power, Lava Island, Pit of Chaos: These tiles suffer a common problem in that some squares are only partially covered by the special element in question, making it unclear which squares are affected by the special rules and which aren't. I assume the Circle of Power covers the entire 3x3 area, but the Pit of Chaos is partially unclear, and the Lava Island's "Lava spaces" especially unclear.
  • Giant Stone Boulder: The Boulder has the Long icon for its attack, which doesn't make sense. I assume you meant to use the Piercing icon, as per the original rules.
  • Werewolf's Curse: Instead of "The Hero counts as a Giant Wolf," it might be more accurate and convenient to say that the Hero "attacks as a Giant Wolf." Whatever the phrasing, I'd also recommend you copy the Giant Wolf's attack stats here (6 white dice, Long).
  • The Inn of Chaos: You explicitly mention that Skarflok's FAME rule does not apply if he escapes the board, but do not do the same with other characters that can do the same in later quests, like Skulmar or Kessandra. It might be better to consolidate this to the FAME rule itself. That said, this is also the only mention that Skarflok will even TRY to escape, so you'll want to move that as well.
  • Dice Notes: Typos: "bot readily available" and, "make tyour own"
  • Design Notes: Typos: "single rule set a s a sytnethsis"

Cards
  • It might be worth noting in the advanced rules whether Scrolls should be played as-written, even though they contain the Basic version of the respective spells, or if they should use the Advanced variant.
  • Distillate of Resolve, typo: "Any your Body Points or Mind Points"
  • There are two Gem of Negation cards in the current distro, one with smaller descriptive text than the other.
  • There are also two Sky Orbs, one with a typo in its descriptive text.

Basic and Chaos Spells
  • Because there is a Cantrip spell group in the Advanced deck, it is probably best if spells not describe themselves as "cantrip" in their descriptive text, unless they belong to that set.
  • Pass Through Rock, Earthquake (or the Earthquake tile): Neither of these spells make any amenity for "solid rock" like in the original game. Even if you intend to get rid of the "solid rock" rules and want to treat every room as "hollow", it still raises the question of what the player has to do if they moved into a dead-end room with Pass Through Rock, since they shouldn’t be able to get out.
  • Control Fiend (Basic and Advanced) and the Chaos spell Command still use a red die and shoot for a specific number, even though every other spell has been converted to use skull dice and a specific symbol. Personally, I think the red dice are much more cut-and-dry, but if you prefer the skull dice, I think these two should be included.
  • I don't really understand what's meant by Fire of Wrath and Fireball's "For this attack, treat friendly shields as skulls." I think it means "Treat friendly shields as skulls and ignore regular skulls," giving the spells similar odds to the original game, but that's pretty unwieldy, and could also be accidentally read, "Treat friendly shields as skulls in addition to skulls," changing the odds from 5+ to 2+. It might be better to say, "For every Friendly Shield rolled, inflict one BP."
  • Was the Fireball change done to power down Fire spells from enemies, or deflected spells from the heroes? After all, "friendly shields" are less frequent on the enemy side. If this is the case, I'm not sure I agree. spells are almost completely toothless if Morcar has to roll a Black Shield on a white die to do damage.
  • While you probably have more experience with the Apprentice spell system than me, but I worry that some of the long strings of icons might be hard to read. [casting action][discard]:[missile attack]([white die]=Spellcraft)[fire][piercing] reads like an algebra problem, and not an easier version for younger players!
  • The Physical Focus Apprentice item has the redundant keywords "Sequestered/Sequestered".
  • Several Apprentice items repeat the description of the Aegiomancer's Grimoire from the Advanced set, even though the description clearly does not apply. These include: the Mystic Eyeglass, Ring of Power, Seeing Stone, and arguably the Spell Grimoire.
  • Skills: Mystic Sight and Mystical Insight could probably stand to have more distinct names.

Advanced Game
  • Dungeon Cards: When a card reads that a monster type "may exchange their white dice for [another kind of dice]," this applies to all of the monster's stats and abilities, right? Attack, defence, missile, etc?
  • The Chaos Shield spell has a similar effect to the above, if you roll a 3: I assume this replaces the white die for all the caster's stats?

Advanced Spells:
  • Many Advanced spells include variant use conditions, usually marked with the words, "You may replace this Spell's Cost with [new cost]." For example, Control Fiend allows you to discard the card instead of doing a +4 mastery test and spending a Mind Point. Currently, those costs appear in front of the main spell description, but I find that very confusing to read: they're essentially modifying a description that you have yet to read, and only make sense in hindsight. I think it would be better to move them until after the paragraph they're meant to modify.
  • Several spells (Breach, Mountain Rune, possibly more) mention a "Breach marker," but this marker is not detailed in the Dungeon Guide. Context suggests it allows you to open holes in walls, in which case my previously mentioned concerns about "solid rock" should also apply here.
  • Ice Bridge: The spell refers to the "Ice Bridge overlay," but in the Dungeon Guide, the overlay is called "Magical Ice."
  • Sleep (Advanced), typo: "IF you do so" instead of "If"
  • Two Skill cards are currently misfiled in the Advanced Spells folder.

Quest Packs (General)
  • I don't know much about creating PDFs, but judging from some of your later Quest Books, you seem to know a way to rotate PDF pages to face the proper direction. This is nice and convenient, I prefer it. Unfortunately, early Quest Books don't use this feature yet, so it might be nice to add that during your next edit.
  • Quest Books 8+ are missing Mentor's scroll texture, but you probably already know that too.
  • Personally, I find the grey used for Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles to be much too faded. I realize they need to be distinct from the black of the Undead, but still. Would a black circle with a grey picture work, like the icons used on expansion pack monsters?
  • I recommend that any empty chests be labelled as such, even if the original source didn't. Unlabelled empty chests can be found in (at least): Ogre Horde, The Pit of Chaos; Realms in the Mirror: The Avenger Returns, On Sacred Ground, and Gliness Fen, Tomb of the Dark God, and The Challenge of White Mountain. I specifically mention a few instances where chests are empty and aren't described as such, but do have other notes, since these are harder to spot.
  • In several books, the word "Shamen" is used. The proper plural is "Shamans."

The Gathering Storm
  • The Trial: The quest description mentions that the heroes will surely be made Champions for their success here. Assuming players have been present for every previous mission without dying, this is potentially true in the Advanced game, where killing Verag will get players their 15th Fame point and might use it to buy a promotion. However, this is not true in Basic, as this is their 11th quest out of the required 10. Make of that what you will.

Ogre Horde
  • The Outer Caves: Just like in the original quest book, a secret door in room A opens directly into a table prop. How is this handled? It might be better to move it one square south.
  • The epilogue pre-assumes that the player characters are Champions (once with a capital C, the second time just as general praise).

Wizards of Morcar
  • Tower of the High Mage: The door required to enter the southwestern batch of rooms is missing, making the quest unsolvable. It should be on the western side of the fireburst trap room.
  • Crypt of the Necromancer: Room B is a Room of Darkness, but doesn't use the tile for it on the map.
  • The Epilogue repeats twice, once with the "Epilogue" header, and the second time without the header but with Mentor's seal.

The Frozen Throne
  • I'm curious why you chose to rename the pack from The Frozen Horror (and the Elf pack as well), especially given the Warcraft connection in "The Frozen Throne"?
  • The prologue pre-assumes that the Barbarian is a Champion (twice).
  • Rooms marked as Ice Vaults do not use the tile for it on the map (The Frosted Path, Room F; The Halls of Kelvinos, Room A; The Heart of Ice Level 1, Room B).
  • The Heart of Ice, Level 1, typo: "Until this door is unlocked, not effect" instead of "no effect"

Realms in the Mirror
  • The Avenger Returns: The description at D initially describes a chest (which isn't there) and goes on to clarify that it's actually describing a tomb only after the fact.
  • Terrellia's Maze: The Entrance/Exit door is missing.
  • The Caverns of Solace: Both the secret door and the letter B marker are missing from the would-be Room B.
  • Hidden Realms: Note B should probably specify that it teleports the player into the cell in Room G, rather than to the side with the Ogre, either by explicitly saying it goes into the cell, or by saying it goes to square G like in the original version.
  • (Hidden Realms continued): Three objects (a wall tile, Skeleton and Zombie) on the west side of the map have been moved one tile west each. This blocks the only route to room K and makes the map unsolvable.

The Crown of Corruption
  • The Prologue presupposes that the characters are Champions.
  • The Hall of Hurdan: "At the start of the Quest the" The sentence abruptly ends here.
  • Into the Maw: Except the narrative, the notes here do not seem to pertain to this Quest. They seem to have been copied and pasted from The Low Chambers, the next quest.
  • The Low Chambers: The map is missing its letter markers.
  • (continued): In the southwest corner of the map, there does not seem to be an entrance to the adjoined yellow and small blue rooms.
  • (continued): If you ask me, the title of this quest is far too similar to "The Lower Gallery," just a few quests later.
  • The Skaven Workings: The notes state that "The chaos Sorcerer gains the FAME ability." This should read "The White Seer".
  • Chamber of the High Seer: The notes state that "The White Seer gains the FAME ability." This is correct, but since the White Seer has a name, "Kur'Ik gains the FAME ability" would be more specific.
  • The Grand Warren: Is Room E intended to destroy Artifacts?
  • The Heart of Corruption: Note D has unnecessary line break and typos: "wa;;s" "space marked 'X'.S"
  • (continued): There does not appear to be a way to access room K, rendering the quest unsolvable.

Through the Demon Gate
  • Throughout the book: "Collage" should be "College."
  • Introduction: Typos: the "A" after the dash should be lowercase, "he now rains" should be "he now reigns"
  • Vault of Shadows: Note D should probably be placed closer to the door in question.
  • The Secret Librarium: Is a demon is placed via the portal using an Ambush card if the portal is not yet on the board? Are they stored in the unexplored room until later?
  • The Mourning Halls: Should Rutger not have the FAME ability?
  • (continued), Typo: No space between "Skulls of Doom.Rutger's," Also: "Spiral Sttairway"
  • The Hidden Vaults: Typo: "Hear, beneath the World," instead of "Here".
  • The Prison Between Worlds: Note E should probably read "only becomes active if the Shadow Key enters the same room" since a literal reading implies the portal can still be activated using a regular Test of Wisdom.
  • (continued): The Goblins at E are described as "weak Shamen" but are actually stronger than the Shamans in the previous quest.
  • (continued): Typo: "Firebursts Traps" instead of "Fireburst"
  • The Crystal Gates: Marker C should be closer to the portal. Marker D might be better off in the bottom-right for similar reasons.
  • Realm of the Dark Portals: One marker B and both marker Ds are off the map. I recommend markers J, K and L be placed closer to their portals.

The Dark Company
  • A picture of the four adjoined maps, like the one found in the original, might be helpful for quick reference.
  • Map 1 is missing its numbered door markers.
  • The door to Room G is missing.
  • Note L is missing. In the original quest, it gave a Potion of Healing worth 4 BP.
  • Map 3 includes a new D marker next to one of the secret doors in Room U. This may be misplaced. If not (i.e. if you intend it to be identical to Note B on Map 1) they should probably both be marked separately.
  • The epilogue presupposes that the players are Champions.

The Shadow Falls
  • I'm not sure I like the title for this Quest Book. I think you intended to say "The Shadow falls over the land," but the phrase "The Shadow Falls" is an established fantasy cliche meaning "The Shadow is defeated," which doesn't work anything but the final entry in a story.
  • Starting in this chapter, many named characters do not have FAME, no matter how notorious they might be in the story. Just wanted to confirm this is correct.
  • The Halls of Durrag-Dol: Typo: "Alter" should be "Altar"
  • (continued): The quest doesn't make it clear: are treasures "dedicated" at the altar surrendered after the quest, or do the players get to keep them if they follow procedure?
  • Revenge of the Air Mage: Note B might be more concise to say that the Gargoyle has WEAKNESS [fire icon].
  • The Shadow of Barak-Tor: The special rule for Skeletons uses the term "Armour Suite," which is not an established game term.
  • (continued): Note B says that the enchanted scythes are described "below," when they are actually above.
  • (continued): The portcullis at C is said to be locked, but no method is provided to unlock it, unless I overlooked something. This isn't the last time you mention a locked portcullis with no key, so I feel like this is a mechanic that I've either overlooked or that isn't mentioned.
  • Burrughast's Revenge: The narrative introduction for this quest is accidentally copy and pasted from The Gathering Storm - Race from the Dark.
  • (continued): The Gargoyle described at Note A does not appear on the map.
  • Peril at Frost Peak: Typos: "Galrod Has" instead of "has", "aility".
  • (continued): Does Galrod's ability count as an Action?
  • (continued): Maybe this is a technical problem on my end but, for me, the image for the quest map is corrupted, with a bunch of rainbow static on the right.
  • The Plague of Zombies: "Grak gains the FAME Ability" should read "The Deathmaster gains the FAME ability."
  • Torak Spire - Palace of the Witch Queen: The narrative introduction for this quest is accidentally copy and pasted from The Gathering Storm - Bastion of Chaos.
  • (continued): The indent in Note A is extra-large.
  • (continued): The "B" side of the teleport trap is missing. It looks like you accidentally covered it up with marker C on the map, I can just see its edge peeking out.
  • The Well of Tears: While Ghullar is supposedly standing in a magic circle, the circle does not appear on the map, and the tile used in the southeast of the map looks much more like a circle of magic than Ghullar's empty room. While it was only used a few quests ago, the Circle of Power tile might be useful here.
  • (continued), typo: "This affect ends" should be "effect"
  • (continued): The page after Map 2 is blank, with the notes appearing the page after that.
  • (continued): Marker C on Map 2 is misaligned with the grid.
  • The Nameless Hold: Typo: "If any of them loose" instead of "lose".
  • Realm of the Demon Bane: The map seems to be missing from my copy?
  • Return to the Nameless Hold: In place of "Summonation," use "summoning".
  • The Epilogue is a copy and paste of the epilogue of The Gathering Storm.

Knights of Chaos
  • None of the major villains in this Quest Book have FAME. This may be the last Quest Book, but since some characters may have died recently, Fame is still important!
  • The Barbican: The map is missing its letter-markers.
  • The Dark Passage: The narrative here is copied from The Gathering Storm - Prince Magnus' Gold.
  • (continued): Another locked portcullis with no obvious way to unlock it.
  • (continued): A door icon is floating in the middle of room C.
  • Galleries of Insanity: This map is missing its letter-markers.
  • The Throne of Demok: This map is missing its letter-markers.

Tomb of the Dark God
  • Introduction, typo: "To better bed it" should be "wed", "A Lord's has had".
  • Fortress of Digos, typo: No period after "with the news"
  • Ruins of Way: While this chest's trap is described, its contents are not listed. I recommend it say "The chest is empty."
  • (continued): The quest revolves around the Talisman of Life, but the artifact card calls it the Talisman of Preservation.
  • Castle Dread: The narration still mentions the "riddle you found," referring to the Ancient Scroll card from the original JPN quest pack. Since the riddle was removed from this version, the entire sentence should be altered.
  • (continued), typos: There is a space after the double quotes that open the narration, "Eye of the stone Dragon" is missing a capital on "Stone," wandering monster "Sleleton"
  • Ship of Ghosts: The narrative is copy and pasted from The Gathering Storm - Race from the Dark. When you go to fix this, watch out, because the original JPN narrative mentions the riddle again. Also, don't forget the extended narration in the Notes section.
  • (continued), typo: no capital letter on "Warlock"
  • Malediction of Darkness: Note D says Lord Godor "acts as a Chaos Warlock," but the Warlock is just the model. I think you mean Chaos Sorcerer monster?
  • Valour Valley: The title is spelled in the British fashion, but the narrative spells it in the American fashion.
  • Atop the Black Mountain, typo: no space after "he shouted a spell,"
  • (continued): While the original quest book doesn't bother, I'd recommend saying that Hakinoki escapes when the floor collapses, explaining his survival into the next quest.
  • Beneath the Black Mountain: Note A should read "these rooms," as there are two room A's.
  • Temple of Ice: This map is missing its letter-markers.
  • (continued): I recommend the trapped chest at A be marked as empty.
  • Doom of the Chaos God: While this matches the original quest, Room A is inaccessible and probably needs a door.
  • Typos: "Esc ape", "the throne conceals the one each" instead of "conceals one each" "stone Dragon" not capitalized again, no colon and unnecessary indentation after "the following Chaos Spells", several spells not italicized.
Last edited by Black Drazon on March 27th, 2021, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Drazon

Postby slev » March 27th, 2021, 9:30 am

Hey comrade, nice to see you back around.
I'll look through this as soon as I can and get the appropreate update smade!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 27th, 2021, 10:23 am

slev wrote:Hey comrade, nice to see you back around.
I'll look through this as soon as I can and get the appropreate update smade!

Maybe you could upload & open source all of it into Git Hub and gain one or two co-workers through it.

There seem to be people interested in cleaning the errors so why not leverage it.
Last edited by Anderas on March 28th, 2021, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby iKarith » March 27th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Slev! Good to see you dude! Probably you won't recognize me, I was Ghost (possibly of 1791) over on Biff's forum. Disappeared because … life got complicated, medically and otherwise. Looking for life to get uncomplicated. (Still have all the medical issues, sadly…)
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » March 28th, 2021, 5:38 pm

iKarith wrote:Slev! Good to see you dude! Probably you won't recognize me, I was Ghost (possibly of 1791) over on Biff's forum. Disappeared because … life got complicated, medically and otherwise. Looking for life to get uncomplicated. (Still have all the medical issues, sadly…)

Hey comrade. Yeah, I dissapeared myself for a bit when my life went crazy. Heading back towards sanity here.

Hope your life uncomplicates real quick!

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby iKarith » March 28th, 2021, 8:35 pm

slev wrote:
iKarith wrote:Slev! Good to see you dude! Probably you won't recognize me, I was Ghost (possibly of 1791) over on Biff's forum. Disappeared because … life got complicated, medically and otherwise. Looking for life to get uncomplicated. (Still have all the medical issues, sadly…)

Hey comrade. Yeah, I dissapeared myself for a bit when my life went crazy. Heading back towards sanity here.

Hope your life uncomplicates real quick!

Thanks—the covid vaccine did a lot. The fact we stopped my chemo and had to restart it means that the side-effects that eventually went away are back though. Time…

Went out yesterday for the first time in OVER a year. For 12+ months, ALL of my grocery shopping had been via delivery service. Not last night, I was able to go out where there are people! … people are scary, I'm going back to my delivery services. :lol: But it's nice to have the option.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SaoirseIRL » April 3rd, 2023, 6:00 am

slev wrote:I thought I'd make a little thread here for this, since I'm in the process of putting all the files abck on my site as/when they are re-created.

For those who don't know, this is a ground-up recreation of the original materials from the various editions, blended together with the rough edges smoothed off and other metaphors all mixed up too.

Link for my site is in the sig.

And if people are willing to take a gander and provide any feedback they may have, I'd be grateful.

Hello Slev,

I came across the dropbox folder for HQR. In light of the rerelease of Heroquest, what would be the difference for your HQR v2.6 and Kellar's Keep 2021? As I understand it you were blending the US, UK and Japanese versions to make HQR.
SaoirseIRL

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Previous

Return to Rules