• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Equipment Maintenance and limits

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Equipment Maintenance and limits

Postby Stig » Saturday March 13th, 2021 3:38pm

Hero example.png

My system has icons on the custom cards that integrates all of this:

http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5328

The players add the equipment to the appropriate colour coded dock, and they cannot exceed the number. For example, arms are on the left, are coloured yellow, and typically have a limit of 2, shown inside the yellow gem.

Players are only allowed one TYPE of each item. So one weapon, one ranged weapon, one shield etc.

Items have a load icon (a rucksack) at the bottom, showing how heavy they are. Different heroes can carry different amounts.

That way, this whole encumberance thing is organised with a few simple icons on the hero character and weapon cards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie!
Stig

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Sunday March 14th, 2021 6:30am

arntisdale

I think you are correct, when you take into account your 'accessories', especially the Equipment Belt and the Satchel then our rulesets are broadly equivalent. Good to know we have reached the same place but using different paths!

Stig

I like the icons and colour coding to simplify encumbrance further but I'm not a fan of the rule below;

Players are only allowed one TYPE of each item. So one weapon, one ranged weapon, one shield etc.

If I can carry a shield, crossbow and a battleaxe, all of which are significant pieces of kit, why couldn't I have a short sword on one hip and a hand axe on the other?
Next Quest: Quest for the Spirit Blade
Other Activities; Polishing my own full House Rules and working on creating my first Quest!
House Rules (HeroQuest Gold): https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1pckufkz534w ... .docx?dl=0

As a general principle* I use EU 2e rules but where they are not clear or otherwise problematic then I look to other versions for clarity / improvement before resorting to house rules

*By general principle I mean I ignore it when it suits me
Bareheaded Warrior

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » Sunday March 14th, 2021 10:55am

Thanks - I should have been more clear; in my system a hero can only be *equipped* with one type of weapon, so they can't hold two shields, two bows etc. They can *carry* as many as they like in their pack up to their hero limit.

So when they find the Spirit Blade, they can chuck their old weapon on their back, but not fight with both

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie!
Stig

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Tuesday March 23rd, 2021 7:13am

When I am considering adding a 'house rule' I try (as a general rule) to work out what problem I am trying to solve by adding/modifying the rule, using the principle that less is more when it comes to rules so if I can remove a rule with breaking anything that I'll do so.

Thanks - I should have been more clear; in my system a hero can only be *equipped* with one type of weapon, so they can't hold two shields, two bows etc. They can *carry* as many as they like in their pack up to their hero limit

If you are ruling that a Hero can only be *equipped* with one type of weapon that would prevent a Hero from wielding two hand axes, a perfectly valid option I think especially as under your restriction they could wield a short sword and hand axe I presume (two bows is different as I consider them double handed weapons), consider what problem are you trying to resolve with this restriction, what would break if you remove it?
Next Quest: Quest for the Spirit Blade
Other Activities; Polishing my own full House Rules and working on creating my first Quest!
House Rules (HeroQuest Gold): https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1pckufkz534w ... .docx?dl=0

As a general principle* I use EU 2e rules but where they are not clear or otherwise problematic then I look to other versions for clarity / improvement before resorting to house rules

*By general principle I mean I ignore it when it suits me
Bareheaded Warrior

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules