• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

House Rules / Homebrew I use (2025):

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: House Rules / Homebrew I use (2025):

Postby Kurgan » March 8th, 2025, 5:53 pm

I just have a simple take on it... "see" for purposes of missile fire or spell casting means the same thing as "unobstructed line of sight." So no distinctions between "visible" or "sight" either, it's all just the same thing.

Otherwise I'm saying you can be in a single square wide corridor and there's a row of orcs ahead of you and you can shoot the last one in line with your crossbow, bypassing all the other orcs ahead of him. I don't allow that. The first one in line blocks the rest of them, even though you know they are there, you can't hit them. Same with magic. So if the heroes are all lined up and the Wizard is bringing up the rear and the dwarf is next to him and then the elf and finally the barbarian is the further away, sorry, the Wizard can only cast a spell on himself or the dwarf... and the elf can only cast on himself, the barbarian, or the dwarf but not the wizard.

While I am choosing to interpret"see" for the purposes of searching to just mean are they on the board in the same room/corridor with you.

Avalon Hill's take on seeing for the purposes of searching is very old school and literal. If you're in the room with a monster, even if he's in a corner surrounded by friendly characters and there's a bookcase between you and him (and under a Sleep spell), it doesn't matter... you can't search for anything because the enemy is "present" in the room.

If if there's an open doorway and you could trace a line out that doorway and there's a monster in the next room or corridor from where you are, THAT stops the search (I think that's silly, but that's what is there and they don't want to change it). Now swap that door for a secret door, even if it's open, and for some reason the search is now allowed (at least according to the Companion App).

In the EU edition(s) there was a line about how you couldn't be adjacent to a monster to search. I agree with that. So if you're in a room and you want to search the room and you're at the doorway and there's a monster on the other side, maybe I'd say sure, that stops the search somehow. But if he's out the door a ways? Who cares. I allow the search. After all, you're not searching the area of that monster, you just happen to know he's there.

I like the idea that a monster (or hero) could "take cover" in the very corners of a room (or behind some big obstacle) to hide from the missile fire or spell attacks of an enemy, at least temporarily--forcing the enemy to get closer to engage. I don't think it's so great that you have to virtually clear the whole board (rather than just the strict area you're in) to search. Others may freely disagree of course!

The EU edition had some spells (namely Fire of Wrath and Genie) that allowed you to hit monsters that were on the board, but not within LOS or even anywhere near the same room/corridor. That was cool, so their simply them being "visible" on the board was enough. But those don't really exist in the NA/remake rules that I can recall. I haven't yet implemented any "seeking" spells like this so far.

So I'm not going to worry well I can see him but I can't see him. I'm just going to ask... is he being shot at or cast upon? Then trace the unobstructed line. Is he searching? Then check the room/corridor for enemies (and don't count sleeping ones).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: House Rules / Homebrew I use (2025):

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » March 10th, 2025, 7:58 am

Kurgan wrote:I just have a simple take on it... "see" for purposes of missile fire or spell casting means the same thing as "unobstructed line of sight." So no distinctions between "visible" or "sight" either, it's all just the same thing.

Otherwise I'm saying you can be in a single square wide corridor and there's a row of orcs ahead of you and you can shoot the last one in line with your crossbow, bypassing all the other orcs ahead of him. I don't allow that. The first one in line blocks the rest of them, even though you know they are there, you can't hit them. Same with magic. So if the heroes are all lined up and the Wizard is bringing up the rear and the dwarf is next to him and then the elf and finally the barbarian is the further away, sorry, the Wizard can only cast a spell on himself or the dwarf... and the elf can only cast on himself, the barbarian, or the dwarf but not the wizard.


Obviously I agree with your scenario with the single square wide corridor with a row of Orcs, as it is exactly the same as my previously posted example with Monsters C and D, but the piece that I am missing from your ruleset is if you employ a "if you can see it you can hit it" rule (and logically the same thing in reverse "if you can hit it then you can see it"), then the first of your long line of Orcs (or Monster C in my example) can be hit and therefore can be seen, but those behind him (Monster D) cannot be hit so according to your rule cannot be seen, so which rule are you applying that results in them being put on the board in the first place?
:skull: = one hit
:blackshield: = one hit & pushback
:whiteshield: = cancels one hit

HQ versions: "Original" - 1989 1st edition & 1990 2nd edition, "Remake" - 1990 NA remake & 2021 reprint

HQ Golden Rules
FAQs, Errata & Clarifications for the Original Editions
HQ Common Notification System

1BP = :goblin: :orc: :skeleton: :zombie:
2BP = :fimir: :mummy: :chaoswarrior:
3BP = :gargoyle:


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog.
User avatar
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: December 8th, 2013, 11:12 am
Location: UK
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest