• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Revisiting Quest Locations

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Revisiting Quest Locations

Postby Davane » November 27th, 2020, 10:12 am

I was just wondering how people felt about quests where the same locations are visited repeatedly.

Take Barak Tor, for example, in the Games System. Both Quest 11 and Quest 13 are supposed to take place in the same location.

Do people like this idea? What about the concept of a location like a fortress, where the Heroes can explore it's secrets over several quests?
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Revisiting Quest Locations

Postby Pancho » November 27th, 2020, 4:03 pm

I quite like the ideal of this. If it’s done right it can really add to the atmosphere of the quest.
As an example in drathe’s Return of the Black Banner quest pack there is a quest where the Heroes are tracking down Skulmar. If my memory serves me, it’s located in the same dungeon as the final level of Return of the Witch Lord, but the entire dungeon is empty, long deserted, and the traps are already sprung as per the original quest. It’s only in the final centre room that the mother of all ambushes is sprung. I thought that was quite a cool idea.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 29th, 2020, 6:40 pm

I also agree with it. It is like the player can have a deja vu and should remember what was behind that corner or what way was the best to go through.
I am working on a custom questpack titled "The Faceless Sorcerer" where you have to visit the same location several times because verytime you will be able to unlock something new...
So if the player is smart he will remember wich way to go first because he left something unsolved, leaving unnecessary rooms closed.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Shadzar » November 30th, 2020, 5:44 am

Sooner or later depending on the size of your world, you will either revisit places or quit playing, such is the law of diminishing returns. you can't cover a world entirely with dungeons, and the oceans would be hard to have them under them unless you just had one super long dungeon that goes under an ocean to get to new places. So eventually you will have places that you return to.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby wallydubbs » February 14th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Search for the Ogre Fortress and Flight to the Surface in Against the Ogre Horde is another example. There's also Quest 5 and 14 in the Japanese quests.

I prefer it when quest areas revisited are spaced out like these 2 examples.

Like the 2 I just listed, as well as Barak Tor, the two quests are similar but not exactly the same. There's subtle differences. Revisiting locations is fine, but think in the case of Barak Tor and the Game System, it's done too soon.
In the Japanese quests you have 9 quests in between and 5 in AtOH, so the heroes will barely notice any of the differences. There's only 1 quest between Burrow of the Witch Lord and Return to Barak Tor, so the Heroes have a better chance at noticing the inconsistencies in the quest. As much as I understand why the heroes had to return so soon, I feel they could've been more spaced out.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 14th, 2021, 9:48 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Search for the Ogre Fortress and Flight to the Surface in Against the Ogre Horde is another example. There's also Quest 5 and 14 in the Japanese quests.

I prefer it when quest areas revisited are spaced out like these 2 examples.

Like the 2 I just listed, as well as Barak Tor, the two quests are similar but not exactly the same. There's subtle differences. Revisiting locations is fine, but think in the case of Barak Tor and the Game System, it's done too soon.
In the Japanese quests you have 9 quests in between and 5 in AtOH, so the heroes will barely notice any of the differences. There's only 1 quest between Burrow of the Witch Lord and Return to Barak Tor, so the Heroes have a better chance at noticing the inconsistencies in the quest. As much as I understand why the heroes had to return so soon, I feel they could've been more spaced out.

I changed the maps to be more consistent and left falling blocks as now a permanent structure in the return visit.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 16th, 2021, 3:49 pm

The Dark Company comes to mind. As for revisiting them.. you can replay quests, but Zargon/Morcar is advised to change things around, especially if it's being replayed due to a total party kill or failure to complete your mission.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Quests and Quest Packs