• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help making things look pretty.

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Help making things look pretty.

Postby Orc26 » October 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm

So I've been trying to find a way to make my custom quests/quest packs look semi presentable. I was able to get Heroscribe to work, but don't have photoshop or word to finish the quests with. Is there any other options that my failure of searching the threads of the inn are hiding?

Also how do I share images, I would like to share how awful the collected chicken scratch quests I have are. :-)
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Help making things look pretty.

Postby Orc26 » October 8th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Ok I've tried loading the image to my google drive and maybe this will work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_BqoYWzr0kuFehNHVFOw04OthljAexGm/view?usp=sharing

I highly doubt anyone will click that, because even I know not to click strange links on the internet. (And I got Heroscribe from a signature)
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby StratosVX » October 8th, 2020, 8:12 pm

OpenOffice might work. I haven't used it but it is a slimmed-down version of Microsoft Office and it's free. I use a Mac and I use Pages. I can try to convert it for you, but it won't be for months yet. I'm transitioning jobs and I go to school so my free time is non-existent right now.

As for sharing images, just do what you did above. If you ever want to share images that will be printed, don't use an image sharing site like Imgur. They tend to scale the images down to 72 dpi, which is garbage for printing. Just use a file hosting service like your google drive.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Hey Stratos, it was your signature's hero scribe that worked for me! (The one from the Heroscribe website kept telling me to install a version of java and no matter which one I installed it wouldn't work.)

I guess I was kind of hoping that there was some kind of program that I could import my map into, type up my quest notes, pick the wandering monster and hit a button and get a beautiful looking quest page output. I can probably fumble my way through doing it myself in google docs. (Or I may even give open office a try.)
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » October 9th, 2020, 12:25 am

Orc26 wrote:Hey Stratos, it was your signature's hero scribe that worked for me! (The one from the Heroscribe website kept telling me to install a version of java and no matter which one I installed it wouldn't work.)

I guess I was kind of hoping that there was some kind of program that I could import my map into, type up my quest notes, pick the wandering monster and hit a button and get a beautiful looking quest page output. I can probably fumble my way through doing it myself in google docs. (Or I may even give open office a try.)

This was the objective of HeroTeX. You just use a text editor to write your content, then compile with LaTeX (PDFTeX) to create the document. It actually works, I wrote the DungeonsDark quest pack with it. But it is always a challenge keeping everything to one page!

At this point it should be possible to use a cloud base LaTeX compiler.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 9th, 2020, 1:00 am

I found a tool to do pretty maps with! And it was hiding in the in! All I needed to do was keep looking! Happy Days.

Beautified map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17wBdApJ584rOcs0-K4Vy2LVJaK5jucrs/view?usp=sharing
Link to thread containing the amazing tool made by Patroclus that I just used to make that http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=1299

[Is there some awesome way that I can include a picture of it here without you all needeing to click into my google drive to see? Also I regularly move files around in my drive and I think the links go blarg when I do that.]
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Return to Quests and Quest Packs