• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack Series] [27 Quests] - AlterQuest

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack Series] - AlterQuest

Postby TMU » July 25th, 2015, 4:15 am

"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » July 25th, 2015, 9:47 am

I'm not changing it. That's a funny coincidence, though!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » February 17th, 2017, 12:06 am

Coming soon: the third expansion of the AlterQuest series, "Shadow of the Darkdelve"! I've currently written seven out of 10 quests for this sequence of events. Gameplay highlights include...
  • A series of five rather overpowered Artifacts as the objectives of the middle five Quests
  • A smattering of new monsters, including the minor demons known as Chaos Furies
  • A Quest in which the board layout was cribbed directly from slev's last Quest Pack ("Knights of Chaos"), down to the placement of traps
  • A Quest in which the board starts out frozen, but melts after reaching the treasure at the other end of the dungeon, changing the entire layout
  • A Quest in which the monsters don't move, because they've all been turned to stone
  • An end boss with 23 Body Points
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 17th, 2017, 12:36 am

Muahhahhaa!

Very good i am lookinf forward to it. The melting quest, i would like to see it!

It's good to see you back!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 3rd, 2017, 2:05 pm

I'm getting to this late, but I have some questions and comments that I hope will prove useful (some, at least) in regards to a general-use and card-text revision.

The Trials
Quest 2: E) A wooden shield appears to reference Slev's armory. As I recall, it can simply be treated as a regular shield in a standard game. [Maybe note it as such..-edit]
Quest 3: B) Is Vortex a renamed Hurricane Chaos spell, or a new Necromancer spell from your files? I can't find it. [Found it in your cards zip. Looks like a renamed Tempest. -edit]
Quest 4: C) Potion of Resilience seems to reference Slev's EU-based card. Perhaps the note should also mention Potion of Defense to avoid confusion for NA players.
D) A suggested figure for Sir Bram isn't noted. I suppose the good ol' Chaos Sorcerer would work, but did you have something special in mind? I thought of a Paladin figure from Heralds of Chaos. [It should be different from the Valkyries. -edit]
Quest 5: A) For purposes of needed cards, I assume Fireball = Ball of Flame. [Found it in your cards zip. -edit]
B) Should Marston's failure to escape be noted with the B) entry, or is there a log? Is the information used in a specific Quest you have made or will make? (I haven't read forward yet.) [I see everything is tied in later, and a log isn't needed. -edit]
D) Leather armor , also from Slev's armory, doesn't fit vanilla HQ. Perhaps it's best to note gold or a couple of daggers be substituted in a standard game.
Quest 6: It may just be me, but I'd modify "...This grave site is the resting place for the dead lords of one of the Empire’s ruling houses...." > ...This grave site is the resting place for the dead lords of one of the Empire’s former ruling houses.... The Heroes are being sent to loot it, after all. Then again, maybe the house crossed Mentor.
The Dwarven Rune of Seeking should probably be linked or included as an image in your OP. [Found it in your cards zip. -edit]
E) I believe Sleep can be used in place of (Slev's?) Torpor--correct? [Found it in your cards zip. -edit]
Quest 7: C) Torpor--same as Quest 6, room E.
D) Should the note be made with the D) entry? [Having read the next series,
I understand now writing in the entry works fine. -edit]

F) Revitalization Potion--one of Slev's. Will you keep it at restoring up to 6 Body Points, or standardize it to 1d6?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 5th, 2017, 7:45 pm

I neglected to mention this earlier, but the Chaos Sorcerer and Orc Boss special ability, Range 2, probably could use some explanation in the introductory pages.

Rise of the Valkyries
Quest 1: C)The Alchemist's Shop that Spellbombs come from needs to be referenced--maybe in a new zip file.
D) Slev's cards has Coil of Rope. Maybe you should include it in a new zip.
Quest 2: C) I found Rejuvenation Salve in Slev's cards. I couldn't find Barbarian Mead , Empire Rum, or Orcish Grog potions. Zip for the drip.
E) The more I see of the note entries, the more I feel a log would be helpful in tracking these events. It could go at the end of the pack.
Quest 3: A) Poison damage is listed. Do you have special rules to include in the introductory pages?
Restoration. Draught Dr. Evil: All right, zip it.
C) Potion of Regeneration Dr. Evil: Zip it! Zi-i-ip.
D) Mind Blast Dr. Evil: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, ex-zip-it A.
E) Healing Wave Spell Scroll Dr. Evil: Look! I'm "Zippy" Longstocking!
G) Perhaps a secret-door exit is in order here--it's a lonnng way back.
Quest 4: Revitalization Potion Dr. Evil: (to Devo's "Whip It") When a problem comes along, you must zip it! (imitates whip) Zip it good
Quest 5: B) Elixir of Life Dr. Evil: (speaks faux Japanese)... Subtitle: "Zip it".
F) Magewright Staff I could find this anywhere. Dr. Evil: Zip! Would you like to have a suckle of my "zipple"?
G) Gathering Hall I couldn't find this tile at the Inn. It looks like it might be a photoshopped AHQ tile. Dr. Evil: Zip it. Unveil the time portal.
Quest 6: For the die symbols rolled, I'd change "Shield: Orc or Fimir...Walrus: Chaos Marauder or Chaos Warrior" > White Shield: Orc or Fimir...Black Shield: Chaos Marauder or Chaos Warrior
Quest 7: C) I couldn't find Unholy Water. Is it a misprint? If not, zip.
Quest 8: C) I also couldn't find Sigil of the Paladins. Zip.
D) Oil of Alchemy Zip.
E) Couldn't find Drain Body. Is it a misprint, or one for the zip file? Found the Blizzard Spell Scroll, though it should be zipped, as well.
Quest 9: B) Magic Resist Tonic--zip.
C) The doors of this room need to be numbered.
F) Tonic of Renewal should be zipped.
Quest 10: A) Mace should be added to a zip file.
B) Is it necessary to rescue all of the Paladins from those Quests?
E) I see the Throne Room tile was shortened a bit. That explains the dimensions of the Gathering Room tile from Quest 5--it's a shortened AHQ tile. Perhaps you could include some information on altering these tiles in the pack's introductory notes pages.
Control spells aren't part of vanilla HQ, so I imagine that part can be ignored by players not really n the know.

Great stuff! I can see you've been careful with your monsters (Questimator in action.) The story line was built up nicely for an epic feel. I especially liked the noted parts that take effect in later Quests--very cool.

I reformatted the OP a bit, mainly to add a specific components list. Feel free to adjust the monster numbers. They were figured using a room and adjacent room or corridor.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » May 6th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Thanks for going through everything I've posted thus far; you've provided a boost of inspiration to add a "Compatibility Mode" to this series of Quest Packs. I intend to upload an updated Quest Pack with all the fixes you mention within the next week or so, hopefully alongside the release of Quest Pack #3: Shadow of the Darkdelve. Then it's on to another "stand-alone" Quest Pack for a while, so our mutual friend The Admiral has something to look forward to now that he's cleared Heralds of Chaos.

Also, this:

Rewards:
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack Series] [17 Quests] - AlterQuest

Postby The Admiral » May 11th, 2017, 10:37 am

Thanks Count! The initial 7 quests will make a perfect intro for Eagle the Elf's fresh crew before they join him for 'Vengeance for Vengeance'. Looking at those first quests and your new cards I only have a couple of questions:
1) How does a wooden shield work?
2) What does a Potion of Revitalisation do?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » May 11th, 2017, 9:30 pm

A wooden shield, as it turns out, is exactly the same as the Shield offered in vanilla Hero Quest's armory. I used to have it destroyed by Fire damage, but decided that was stupid and changed a few other things around in my custom armory instead.
Potion of Revitalization heals 6 Body Points. I will probably not be removing the names of any potions I copied off of slev; instead, I will just write the effects in the Quest Notes (assuming they fit).

Rewards:
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 12th, 2017, 4:46 am

Count Mohawk wrote:A wooden shield, as it turns out, is exactly the same as the Shield offered in vanilla Hero Quest's armory. I used to have it destroyed by Fire damage, but decided that was stupid and changed a few other things around in my custom armory instead.
Potion of Revitalization heals 6 Body Points. I will probably not be removing the names of any potions I copied off of slev; instead, I will just write the effects in the Quest Notes (assuming they fit).

Thanks. In that case I might make something up for the wooden shield. Perhaps only 50gc, but roll a 1d6 if you successfully defend any attacking skulls and it is destroyed on a 1?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs