• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Postby Gold Bearer » February 26th, 2016, 12:13 pm

I didn't want to say anything while the quest was still going but now that Jari's left the dungeon, I think the troll slayer is overpowered. He is very vulnerable at times but I still think that many attack dice is just too much. If he had a battle axe as well it would be even more.

I'd suggest that he can only add as many attack dice as he looses defence dice. He'd still be extremely powerful in combat and very slayer-like. :2cents:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » February 26th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I didn't want to say anything while the quest was still going but now that Jari's left the dungeon, I think the troll slayer is overpowered. He is very vulnerable at times but I still think that many attack dice is just too much. If he had a battle axe as well it would be even more.

I'd suggest that he can only add as many attack dice as he looses defence dice. He'd still be extremely powerful in combat and very slayer-like. :2cents:

I play my slayer as in the white dwarf article with +1 att and -1 def. When Berserk he is +2 att and -2 def.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 26th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Doesn't that one have trap disarming? I really don't think that suits a troll slayer. I went the route of loosely basing it on the WH ones because that was introduction to them. No armour of any kind, +1 attack dice with an axe and +1 if attacking something with more than four defence dice.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » February 26th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I didn't want to say anything while the quest was still going but now that Jari's left the dungeon, I think the troll slayer is overpowered. He is very vulnerable at times but I still think that many attack dice is just too much. If he had a battle axe as well it would be even more.

Attack dice do tend to be more valuable than defend dice, and not just because attack dice have more relevant faces per die. If there are a lot of monsters in one room, however, I'd be more circumspect about falling into a blind rage. It's kinda funny how the "berserker" power requires careful thought to use properly!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » February 26th, 2016, 6:33 pm

I couldn't disagree more and I'm actually really pleased with how this Trollslayer turned out. Yes he rolls a crazy amount of attack dice but I can only think of 1 time when it actually paid off. On the other hand he limped out of most quests and I'm willing to bet that Sotiris really thought he had a good chance of killing him on many occasions. Compare this with Mitchiemasha's Hero in this pbp game. He is rolling 6 defence dice and can walk into a room with 3 or 4 monsters, kill everything and walk out again without losing a single Body point.

The whole point of the design of this Trollslayer is that he is a Boss killer. He can kill a boss with one or two hits, but 2 or 3 goblins can kill him just as easily.

Gold Bearer wrote:I'd suggest that he can only add as many attack dice as he looses defence dice. He'd still be extremely powerful in combat and very slayer-like. :2cents:

Read the rules again as this is exactly how this hero works!!

Count Mohawk wrote:It's kinda funny how the "berserker" power requires careful thought to use properly!

I too realised the irony of this.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » February 26th, 2016, 7:44 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:I couldn't disagree more and I'm actually really pleased with how this Trollslayer turned out. Yes he rolls a crazy amount of attack dice but I can only think of 1 time when it actually paid off. On the other hand he limped out of most quests and I'm willing to bet that Sotiris really thought he had a good chance of killing him on many occasions. Compare this with Mitchiemasha's Hero in this pbp game. He is rolling 6 defence dice and can walk into a room with 3 or 4 monsters, kill everything and walk out again without losing a single Body point.

The whole point of the design of this Trollslayer is that he is a Boss killer. He can kill a boss with one or two hits, but 2 or 3 goblins can kill him just as easily.
It's mainly that lesser monsters don't stand any chance of surviving his attacks.

The Road Warrior wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:I'd suggest that he can only add as many attack dice as he looses defence dice. He'd still be extremely powerful in combat and very slayer-like. :2cents:
Read the rules again as this is exactly how this hero works!!
Oh, I thought he attacked with more than six dice on at least two occasions. If it was capped at +2 dice max he'd still be a kickarse fighter.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sotiris » February 27th, 2016, 3:13 am

The Trollslayer played in 5 quests; he died in one quest and retreated in another with 1 B.P.
I think he's not overpowered; at least this version of Trollslayer.

One thing that i would change to this hero is that i would not let his defense to fall in 0. Everything stops at 1 die, not lesser. I would keep this rule here too.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 28th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Oh it's because he defended with four dice, giving him eight max attack dice. I think that's definitely too much.

Just allowing him bracers in defence (troll slayers don't never use armour) and starting his rage when there's a monster in sight at the start of his turn (at the moment he never attacks with his standard number of dice), plus Sotiris' suggestion would be a big improvement I think. He'd get a maximum of four attack dice when he starts and with a battle axe and bracers he'd get a maximum of six attack dice.

That's just what I'd do, take it or leave it. |_P

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » March 4th, 2016, 8:45 am

The version we played in the pbp game was altered slightly to fit with Sotiris' system for Hero creation.

This character and the accompanying quest book were finished well over a year ago and I will not be changing it now. I do not even consider your suggestions to be an improvement. So I guess I leave it. |_P
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » March 4th, 2016, 10:57 am

You're being snotty for no reason again. :roll:

Fine, if you don't think attacking with max eight dice, NINE with a battle axe is a bit much and you think it's appropriate that this hero can use armour. |_P

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs