• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Postby washi » August 27th, 2020, 10:28 am

Where may I found the original japanese rulebook? I only found the adaptations

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: Português (Brasil)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » August 28th, 2020, 8:16 pm

There's a photocopy scan of it around here somewhere...

Try HERE.

Also HERE

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby washi » August 29th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Thank you. I think it is commendable that they have translated and adapted the Japanese material to our rules but I find very interesting to have access to the original version, for those who want to play it as it was designed. A friend asked me for the manual because he will try to translate it into Brazilian Portuguese.

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 29th, 2020, 11:16 pm

It would be a very interesting (and different game) some things in common to the UK version, some totally unique! It's like a whole new experience...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby washi » August 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Yeah. This friend of mine had lived some time in Japan and still studies the language. He's playing HeroQuest for the first time and want to translate to learn more about the language and, of course, to play this parallel adventure.

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » October 3rd, 2020, 3:15 am

FYI, I have made the questbook and artifact cards unavailable for the time being. I'll return them or explain why I'm not willing to at a later time.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 3rd, 2020, 8:29 am

bastianbux wrote:FYI, I have made the questbook and artifact cards unavailable for the time being. I'll return them or explain why I'm not willing to at a later time.

Thanks for the work on this though. My kids and I have been playing through this one. Very slowly as of late, but hopefully get back to it soon.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 3rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Thanks for bringing them back!!!

Edit: the link to the A4 version on page 1 seems broken... try this one.

[ Link removed: see explanation below ! ]

Edit 10/25/21: I forgot that I had this copy. Since bastianbux said he didn't want his files shared on the forum anymore (as of August 2021), I'm removing this. Yes, while I disagree with him on his reasons for leaving, nobody can force him to stay, and so I can respect his wishes, even though he didn't specifically contact me with the request to remove them. So this is purely a gesture of goodwill. Those who are interested in playing the Japanese quests in English, I encourage you to check out the excellent project being done by HispaZargon elsewhere on the forums. Thanks for helping lay the foundation upon which projects like his could grow and thrive! Peace |_P
Last edited by Kurgan on October 25th, 2021, 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 14th, 2020, 3:46 am

[I have created my own version of "Holy Flame" cards and also of Healing (which I have renamed Recovery) based on the ideas presented here for use with my 'new' character classes. Holy Flame is basically the same spell as "Arrows of the Night" from Wizards of Morcar, but still, cool idea! Heal Body and Water of Healing are identical, after all.]

And just for fun... I got the image from the web, so only problem is I don't know what the characters on the box say (intended to be used by the "Magician" aka the Wizard, you could add text saying it can be used four times per quest, I think infinite uses is overkill, but it is in the rules, so season to taste).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on November 25th, 2020, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: [Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos GOLD

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2020, 1:55 am

I was half asleep so my math might be a bit fuzzy, but I was basing this on the idea that the Heroes always get the maximum amount of gold per quest.

I'm assuming they get all 6 "good" treasure cards (which could be 300-350... the max based on lucky die rolls with the variable gold treasure). And that these treasures get discarded.
Any rewards for completing the quest.
Any gold values within each quest itself that the Heroes get to keep.
The "monster bounty" based on assuming they kill every monster to collect the gold for each one. Remember that in these rules, the Wandering Monsters can't be fought, they do an unblock-able attack and then disappear.
You can sell stuff for half value, but you don't actually find much you can sell (other than "gems worth X gold" which I just consider that value already equivalent in gold).

By the end of Quest 13 (their last chance to level up) they would have 14,445 gold (on the high side) or 13,845 on the low side. They can roll to "level up" on up to 12 occasions (all four heroes could attempt if each of them has 500 gold to contribute on each occasion, I guess they could keep rolling until they ran out of gold too).

[Edit: I made a mistake here. According to the translated rules, the "leveling up" procedure doesn't begin until Quest 4, when the Intermediate Rules kick in. So really, the Heroes have up to 10 opportunities to "level up." You could modify the game so that you are using "Expert" rules from the beginning I suppose. Also, if you are NOT searching for Treasure in the first three Quests, that means a lot less Gold. You still get it from killing monsters and you can still get it from Searching for Treasure IF there is a "quest specified Treasure." But no TREASURE CARDS to use until Quest 4!]

If we assume limited availability of equipment, then they could buy everything they need from the Armory and have a lot left over to try to level up with. They can also buy potions. By the end I theorize:

They could have:

Wizard: 9-11
Elf: 12-13
Dwarf: 13-14
Barbarian: 14-15

Body points each. Now it's not a guarantee, because in theory the Wizard could get all the gold and keep rolling for himself, and keep failing and get nothing. The "Dragon Eye" thing is the alternative if we're using EU or NA rules instead. If we forgo the Monster rewards, that's a lot less gold (4,745 less!). For comparison sake, there was only one quest in the NA/EU where you got bounties. The bounties were a bit more than the individual ones here and Wandering Monsters did count there of course. So 10,200 if you're going to play with NA rules and before you buy or sell anything (obviously different prices for Armory/Equipment in the other versions) on the high end... or 9,600 on the low end. Again, if I did my math right. You get even more gold if you complete the final Quest (1,580-1,630 by Japan rules), but that's the end, so unless you're going to try to level up one more time and apply those characters in other quests, that's it. I guess you could "try for the high score." ;)

Still, it's a unique game. You get can get at least 3x the gold you'd get in any NA quest pack, if I recall correctly.

Anyone wants to check my math... I'm going by the translated PDF of the quest book. ignore the Wandering Monsters, since again, in the Japanese rules, you can't actually fight and kill them, so there's no reward to add for those each quest.

monster gold rewards (bounties):

goblin: 5
orc: 20
fimir: 30
skeleton: 10
zombie: 20
mummy: 50
chaos warrior: 100
gargoyle: 150

Armory: 3 shields (150 buy, 75 sell), 2 helmets (250 buy, 125 sell), 1 chain mail (500 buy, 250 sell), 1 plate mail (850 buy, 425 sell), 1 spear (150 buy, 75 sell),
1 hand axe (250 buy, 125 sell), 1 crossbow (350 buy, 175 sell), 1 short sword (250 buy, 125 sell), 1 broadsword (500 buy, 250 sell), 1 staff (100 buy, 50 sell), 1 cloak (350 buy, 175 sell),
4 heal potions (200 gold, restores 2 BP each; can't be sold?) <--- assuming as they get used up, you can buy them again, of course Treasure deck has 2 heal potions, one that restores 4 and one that restores 3). You also find some Heal Potions in the quests too if memory serves.

(to sell at half value: shield & 2 short swords)

(no battleaxe, long sword, dagger, bracers or tool kit), flame/fire axe, frost/freeze/ice bow, and silver sword/blade can be used as weapons later on.

Can't search treasure on quest 1.
treasure only inside rooms.

6 "gold" successful searches (cards)

treasure hoard 100
gem 50
jewels 80
gold x 1 red die (10-60)
gold 25
gold 35
300-350 gold per quest Treasure searches.

if no monster rewards counted, "Dragon Eye" worth 500 gold.

can't kill wandering monsters, but if you could... (up to 5x each quest thus 100 for Orc)

1) 400 gold (rewards total) + 115 (monster reward): 515 (+20 if each Wandering Orc)
2) 400 gold (rewards total) + 1 jewel (100), + 100 = 600, + treasure deck = 900-950 + 220 (monster reward) = 1120-1170 gold (+20 if each wandering Orc)

[Here Subtract 300-350 since Treasure CARDS are not being used yet until Quest 4]

3) 600 gold (rewards) + 100 gold (bonus) + 100 + 280 (monster reward) (+20 each wandering Orc) + 300-350 (treasure deck) = 1380-1430

[Here Subtract 300-350 since Treasure CARDS are not being used yet until Quest 4]

4) 200 (chest), treasure deck + (+10 wandering skeleton) + 320 (monster reward), shield (75 sell-back value) = 820-870

5) treasure deck (300-350) + 285 (monster reward) (+10 wandering skeleton) = 585-635
(4,620 so far!)

6) 550 + (monster reward) 250 + 300-350 (treasure deck) (+10 wandering skeleton) = 1100-1150

7) 715 (monster reward) + 600 (reward for completing), +300-350 (treasure deck) = 1615-1665
(+50 wandering mummy)

8) 550 (monster reward) + 300-350 (treasure deck) = 850-900
(+50 wandering mummy)

9) 700 + 300-350 (treasure deck) + (+50 wandering mummy) + 345 (monster reward) = 1345-1395

10) 325 (monster reward) + 300-350 (treasure deck) + (+50 wandering mummy) = 625-675

11) (can't visit armory yet, not healed yet) 170 (monster reward) + 300-350 treasure deck = 470-520
(+50 wandering mummy)

12) (+50 wandering mummy) + 1000 + 300-350 (treasure deck) + 540 (monster reward) = 1840-1890

13) (+50 wandering mummy) 630 (monster reward) + 300-350 (treasure deck) + 650 = 1580-1630

14) (+50 wandering mummy) 300-350 (treasure deck) + 580 (monster reward) + 500 reward for each for winning (2000 total) = 2880-2930

[Here I mixed up some rules. The gold bounties for killing monsters are only present in the Japanese rules. But in those same rules, the Wandering Monsters can't be fought, they just appear, attack (and you can't defend) and then disappear!]

240-600 extra gold if they're lucky.

14,445 high (13,845 low) 28 rolls (445 left) up to 7 BP each:

[Subtract 600-700 because Quests 1-3 don't use the Treasure Cards, when you search for Treasure, you either find nothing or the one specified in the Quest notes,
using the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert rules progression according to the original translation. 13,145 on the low end is still a lot of gold! ]

Wizard: 11
Elf: 13
Dwarf: 14
Barbarian: 15

OR you can buy equipment:

11,670 left:

Barbarian: Plate Mail, Silver sword, crossbow, Helmet, Shield (6 defense, 3/3 attack)
Dwarf: Chain Mail, Flame Axe, Helmet (4 defense, 4 attack)
Elf: Frost Bow, Broadsword, Shield (3 defense, 3/3 attack)
Wizard: Staff, Rod of Memory, Cloak, Talisman of Life (3 defense, 2 attack)

23 attempts (170 gold left, not enough to buy a healing potion)

Wizard: 9
Elf: 12
Dwarf: 13
Barbarian: 14

sell 1 Shield, 2 shortswords = 325 extra gold (495 left, not enough for another attempt, but
could buy 2 healing potions, 95 left over).

So a lot of things change depending upon what rules you use. NA Treasure Deck has less overall gold than the Japanese deck, or the EU deck. Japanese Rules don't allow Treasure Cards until Quest 4, but give gold bounties for monster kills throughout the campaign (earlier quests have a lot fewer monsters, but they are easier to kill having only 1 body point... though the 2 body point monsters require you get 2 hits on them to kill them in one go). Japanese rules state that Wandering Monsters get a free attack (that can't be defended against) and then disappear, so there's no opportunity to kill them and get an extra bounty.

So it's a bit of a mess, but the bottom line is that whatever rules you use, you will end up with a lot of gold here, which is intended to be used to level up primarily, because Equipment in this version is limited, unlike the other versions (except the 1st/Premiere EU Edition).
Last edited by Kurgan on December 14th, 2020, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext