• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Alternative EU quest maps - in case all Heroes die...

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Alternative EU quest maps - in case all Heroes die...

Postby Zenithfleet » December 30th, 2012, 12:31 am

Alt map for Quest 9 - Race Against Time:

Okay, this one got a bit of a makeover. The original is in no sense a 'race against time', so I added a pile of monsters to give the Heroes a reason to run. If they take the usual trapdoor at the start, they'll meet a horde of undead around the corner. They could stand and fight, or retreat to discover the other trapdoor, or flee past before the monsters can attack. In the latter case, they'll be pursued.

Meanwhile, anyone lucky enough to discover the new trapdoor at the start will have a winding but apparently danger-free passage ahead of them. There are no traps in this Quest, but hopefully the Heroes won't know that... as TV Tropes would say, Nothing Is Scarier. So whoever takes the long corridor ought to be nervous. Exactly how you want them to feel just before the Gargoyle jumps out on them. :P
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Zenithfleet » December 30th, 2012, 12:35 am

Quest 10 doesn't need a new map, so here's Quest 11 - Bastion of Chaos:

Nothing spectacular here - just redistributed the monsters. Because I have to make the As, Bs and Cs match the original Quest Notes, it's a bit limiting (e.g. the Gargoyle trap will always work the same no matter where it's placed). Oh well...
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » December 30th, 2012, 12:41 am

And finally (for now), Quest 13 - Quest for the Spirit Blade:

This one had me scratching my head for a while. Curse that four-secret-door limit!

The Spirit Blade is in the same old room, but temple has crumbled a bit more since the previous visit, so the Heroes will have to find a new route. They might find an unexplored and long-buried section of the temple on the way, including the unfortunate remains of a forgotten wizard or sorcerer and his ancient cache of gold.

That's all for now - I'll see if I can make a few for Barak Tor and the expansions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these new maps, too - constructive criticism is always welcome |_P
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » December 30th, 2012, 7:03 am

Zenithfleet wrote:Not yet... give me time ;)

Just meant that will you do :) Take your time.
Zenithfleet wrote:Sadly, this alternative map still provides no explanation for who the Stone Hunter actually is. :?

In Finnish version of the game, quests name is translated to Stone Monsters, and it means four Chaos Warriors in the quest.
Zenithfleet wrote:I'd love to hear your thoughts on these new maps, too - constructive criticism is always welcome |_P

I like the idea, and if you want to, you can just play these instead of the original ones. Keep up the good work! |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Derfel Link » December 14th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Hi Zenithfleet, nice to hear about your project! Did you ever manage to finish it and would agree to upload somewhere the .xml files? I'd be glad to host them with the others at HeroScribe.Org.
Cheers

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Derfel Link

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 24th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Damn the downfall of Photobucket!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 6th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Using the Inn's quote function, then a url copy-and-paste of the Photobucket image to a browser (without the tags), it's possible to access and download images from Photobucket, then repost them from another file-sharing service--I used Imgur. Any Inn member can repair a missing post image by quoting it later as I have here. Just insert the new image link and delete the Photobucket link.

Zenithfleet wrote:Alternative map for Quest 1 - The Trial

Same basic layout, but different monster and treasure placement. Notice that Verag has left his throne room to go worship at the altar of his dark gods. Probably to complain that the last bunch of Heroes were too feeble to be any challenge, and could he please be sent some tougher ones. He may be about to get his wish...

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 2 - The Rescue of Sir Ragnar

Quick ladz, let's dig out a new cell in which ta stash da puny 'ooman so da next lot of stoopid adventurers won't find 'im... Hey, dat gives me an idea. Oi, Snagitz! Grab dem leftovers from dinner last night an' put 'em in the old cell. 'S gone stale anyhow. Don't worry ladz, fresh meat's on the way. Hur hur hur...

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 3 - Lair of the Orc Warlord

I've always really liked the compact layout of this one, so didn't try anything fancy. Ulag seems to have become a bit paranoid and barricaded himself in the broom cupboard though...

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 4 - Prince Magnus' Gold

Never much liked this one - just a lot of empty rooms and doorways, plus a pointless 'outlaw' penalty. I've tried to knock it up a notch with a blast from my spice weasel. (BAM!) Hopefully there's at least a chance that the Heroes will pick up the chests while there are still monsters on the board, so that the one-die-for-movement rule actually gets used. Meanwhile, Gulthor is clearly following Ulag's sterling example, having retreated with the treasure to a more secure location.

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 5 - Melar's Maze

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Oh no oh no oh no. Mucking around with Melar's Maze is like redecorating a church with spraypaint. (Well, maybe not quite.) I love love love this Quest, and it was nerve-wracking to figure out how to revamp it. The throne puzzle, for instance, is clever the first time, when people aren't yet used to searching, but tedious the second time when you know what to do.

The solution I hit upon was to assume that the Heroes made it a fair way into the Maze on their previous try. (There's not much to hurt them early on, after all). Because of this, some of the tricks and traps have already been set off - the falling block has fallen, and the throne has moved to reveal a door. Of course, the Maze has a few other tricks up its metaphorical sleeve... For instance, will the Heroes work out that they can make the throne move again? (And where did that fireplace come from? The Maze moves in mysterious ways!)

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 6 - Legacy of the Orc Warlord

This one assumes that the Heroes tried to escape once, failed, and were thrown back in their cell - under heavier guard this time. Busting out through the door will be tough - better to take the long way round.

Meanwhile, Grak is over in the 'guest chamber' busy rummaging through his collection of, ahem, 'hospitality facilitation implements'. If only he could remember where he put that swirly metal thing with the clockwork spikes...

More tomorrow - must go do that sleep thing now.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 6th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Now for the rest:

Zenithfleet wrote:. . .Anyway, on with the maps! Here's Quest 7 - The Stone Hunter:

Sadly, this alternative map still provides no explanation for who the Stone Hunter actually is. :?

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 8 - The Fire Mage:

Again, this map assumes the Heroes have already met Balur in the first room in their previous attempt. (Note that the XX square is where Balur starts and the X square is where he's placed after he runs through the wall.)

Zenithfleet wrote:Alt map for Quest 9 - Race Against Time:

Okay, this one got a bit of a makeover. The original is in no sense a 'race against time', so I added a pile of monsters to give the Heroes a reason to run. If they take the usual trapdoor at the start, they'll meet a horde of undead around the corner. They could stand and fight, or retreat to discover the other trapdoor, or flee past before the monsters can attack. In the latter case, they'll be pursued.

Meanwhile, anyone lucky enough to discover the new trapdoor at the start will have a winding but apparently danger-free passage ahead of them. There are no traps in this Quest, but hopefully the Heroes won't know that... as TV Tropes would say, Nothing Is Scarier. So whoever takes the long corridor ought to be nervous. Exactly how you want them to feel just before the Gargoyle jumps out on them. :P

Zenithfleet wrote:Quest 10 doesn't need a new map, so here's Quest 11 - Bastion of Chaos:

Nothing spectacular here - just redistributed the monsters. Because I have to make the As, Bs and Cs match the original Quest Notes, it's a bit limiting (e.g. the Gargoyle trap will always work the same no matter where it's placed). Oh well...

Zenithfleet wrote:And finally (for now), Quest 13 - Quest for the Spirit Blade:

This one had me scratching my head for a while. Curse that four-secret-door limit!

The Spirit Blade is in the same old room, but temple has crumbled a bit more since the previous visit, so the Heroes will have to find a new route. They might find an unexplored and long-buried section of the temple on the way, including the unfortunate remains of a forgotten wizard or sorcerer and his ancient cache of gold.

That's all for now - I'll see if I can make a few for Barak Tor and the expansions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these new maps, too - constructive criticism is always welcome |_P

I've just noticed while recovering these that Quest 12, Barak Tor--Barrow of the Witch Lord, and Quest 14, Return to Barak Tor, weren't included in the thread. :(
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » March 6th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Daedalus wrote:I've just noticed while recovering these that Quest 12, Barak Tor--Barrow of the Witch Lord, and Quest 14, Return to Barak Tor, weren't included in the thread. :(

No.. he sayd it already:

Zenithfleet wrote:I've created new maps for all the Quests in the EU base game except for #1a (The Maze), #12 and #14 (the Barak Tor quests, which I'm frankly nervous about messing with), and #10 (Castle of Mystery, which doesn't need changing for obvious reasons).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 7th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Right-o. I merely skimmed the topic, as I was focusing on the posts with missing images. However, you omitted his qualifier "So far."

Zenithfleet wrote:. . .

So far I've created new maps for all the Quests in the EU base game except for #1a (The Maze), #12 and #14 (the Barak Tor quests, which I'm frankly nervous about messing with), and #10 (Castle of Mystery, which doesn't need changing for obvious reasons).
. . .

I would have hoped (and still hope somehow) that Zenith fleet--who still occasionally visits the Inn--would decide to undertake Quest 12 and Quest 14 for completeness, despite his stated nervousness. The squeaky wheel gets the grease . . . sometimes, anyways.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs