• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Legacy of Sorasil quest pack?

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Legacy of Sorasil quest pack?

Postby Shkoyach » September 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Any headway made on this project? I could contribute significantly from the design end if someone supplied me with the actual map data and text.
Shkoyach

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 12th, 2021, 5:18 pm

It has been five or six years since any real progress was posted here.

Looks like you may have to be the one to pick it up... good luck, if so!

That would be the last major project, and a great undertaking since this is the only HQ adventure that was not originally a board game.

I'd start by watching that long play to try to get the layout of the maps. I see lists of monsters have been posted. I came up with some stats for the heroes (based mainly on my own imagination and a sense of what I thought was balanced back in 2019). The game looks to be very much more like a D&D type game than Hero Quest, despite the official license (though this makes it easy to track down appropriate minis for most if not all of the new stuff).

So maybe it would work better with Modular rooms and outdoor tiles and such? Or you could do like others have done on the Inn already and use those big outdoor maps. I've never even played the game (only seen the videos, not in full of course)...

If you complete this, the HQ fan community will owe you a debt of gratitude for sure!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 12th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Shkoyach wrote:Any headway made on this project? I could contribute significantly from the design end if someone supplied me with the actual map data and text.

Are you good at drawing?
I see there are some drawings inside the original booklet of the game, maybe they can be useful too:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 12th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Also here is a table with Legacy of Sorasil stats for the Heroes.
They updated the stats for each of the four classic characters (you can notice Dwarf is stronger than Barbarian but slower).
They also add two new stats, Strenght and Perception. For the four classic Heroes, Strenght is the same of Body.
Having a look at the new stats and knowing the boardgame stats, could help to determinate the stats for the four new entries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 12th, 2021, 8:52 pm

Finding patterns here is rough if you want to relate it back to the original game... in the original game it's been pointed out that the Body and Mind of each hero add up to 10 (hence a hypothetical balanced fifth hero could have 5 body and 5 mind to "fit in").
The largest body point total for a party in theory is 25 (or 27 with Sir Ragnar and he can't fight); but adding the max number of mercs in WOM adds an additional 12 (12 single BP men at arms) for a total of 37.
In BQP there are only 6 mercs (of 2 BP each) that can be hired, again, leaving a total of 37 BP in a party. Then again, the Barbarian can wear the Amulet of the North for 2 additional BP (39 total).

In the EQP there are no official mercenaries, and the Elven Bracers (which add 2 BP for the Elf) are not officially in the quest, so this is all homebrew speculation, the BP total is 25 again.

You could use some voodoo math to make it make sense, or else consider these to be all brand new characters and squeeze their stats into believable categories based on how they compare to each other. The Dwarf is strong but slow, etc.

The movement could be simulated like the Elf rolling 2d6, the Ranger 2d6 -1, Wizard/Cleric/Mystic/Paladin/Barbarian 2d6 -2, and the Dwarf 1d6.
The Dwarf has the highest defense, maybe he's wearing Plate Armor? (that explains the slow movement!).

Or maybe most of the characters are normal speed, but the Ranger gets +1 movement and the Elf has +2?
Or maybe the Elf is wearing elven boots, giving him fast movement from the start, the Ranger is fast and the regular heroes are normal and the Dwarf is wearing plate that slows him down?

You could divide the "Mind" by 2.33 and round up to come up with close to what they're supposed to have (doesn't work for the Barbarian and Dwarf who have the same mind).

Not sure what Strength is, but it's the same as Body for the four classic heroes and less than the body total for the new heroes.

I have no idea.

A much bigger job would be mapping out the dungeons... either on the classic board, in modular fashion or using new outdoor maps.

Good luck: https://stare.e-gry.net/recenzje/heroquest-ii-legacy-of-sorasil/poradnik-2

Google translate from polish to english: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=pl&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fstare.e-gry.net%2Frecenzje%2Fheroquest-ii-legacy-of-sorasil%2Fporadnik-2

From earlier in the thread... lots of commentary about the video game drawing things out and being boring as a result, probably needing to condense things to make it work better as a board game...

Nephew of Mentor wrote:So, here's what I have found so far, and without playing even a second of the game.

The point of the game is to attempt to save the ruined Empire of Rhia(do they name the empire of the HQ games in the other expansions?). It seems like this empire is in far worse shape than the Empire of the other HQ expansions. The narrator to the introduction says his power is failing and he is on the verge of defeat. All of this suggests this would have to be a late quest. This could also explain the high stats for the characters.
There are 9 scenarios(quests?)

There are 8 classes of heroes to choose from.
Barbarian(Obvious model for the Barbarian): Body 8 Attack 7 Defense 7 Mind 2
Ranger: BP6 ATT5 DEF5 MIND4
Paladin: BP8 ATT7 DEF6 MIND5
Cleric (possible Elf): BP6 ATT5 DEF5 MIND10
Fighter(Likely Dwarf model): BP9 ATT7 DEF8 MIND 2
Wizard (Obvious Wizard model): BP4 ATT4 DEF2 MIND14
Adventurer (Likely Elf model): BP4 ATT5 DEF5 MIND6

Mystic (possible Elf): BP4 ATT4 DEF2 MIND14

There are many spells from the original HQ release, but there are also some spells that were used in the Wizards of Morcar by the enemy, so this would likely come after Wizards(though I can say nothing of difficulty).

The spells from Wizards include: Fear, Lightning Bolt, Rust, and Wall of Fire
There are four spells that I think are new: Healing wind, Flame of Healing, Wall of Water, and Demoralize
For some reason the site I found only listed two earth spells whereas all other domains had five.

I got all this from the source quoted by the Goblin King.

Goblin-King wrote:Please, let me see what you got so far.
And Yes! That is in my opinion the biggest problem... Not knowing what all the items does. I'll compile a list, and put in all known information. Because I like making lists...
But I fear many items will have to be totally re-imagined. Some probably add to non-existing stats, while other add to normal stats out of proportion. There are really not much room for a weapon between the shortsword and broadsword in terms of damage... Never the less... Here it is:

List of items in Hero Quest 2 - Legacy of Sorasil:
Bold indicates items that already exist in Hero Quest.
Prices are min/max price (price in HQ) - As it turns out, prices are pretty compatible with normal HQ.

Normal Equipment:
Dagger - 20/25 g (25)
Staff - 40/50 g (100)
Short Sword - 100/125 g (150)
Broad Sword - 200/250 g (250)
Great Sword (Longsword?) - 300/375 g (350)
Axe (Battle Axe?)- 400/500 g (400)
Chain Mail Armour - 400/500 g (450)
Plate Mail Armour - 700/900 g (850)
Toolkit - 100/125 g (250)
Polearm - 200/250 g
Boots of Speed - +2 Movement - 200/225 g

Artifacts:
Dagger of Might
Biter Dagger
Staff of Doom
Staff of Teleportation
Bane Short Sword
Venom Broad Sword
Palaestra Sceptre
Armour of Darkness
Helm of Casting
Gauntlets of Strength
Ring of Wonders
Ring of Elements - Must be worn to hit Golem(s)
Bone Key - Needed to open Skull Gate
Amulet of Tambor Rin
Ring of Movement
Ring of Sure Sight
Amulet of Protection
Gauntlets of Virtue
Ring of Swift Wind
Helm of Defense
Old Parchment
Crystal of Swift Wind
Ring of Courage
Ring of Detection
Ring of Rock Skin

page 8 has the ending credits: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1112&start=70&sid=903ea69e2529a9df6c28c77c1d82cd82

I'll leave this giant project to others, and I mean it, good luck! I am content to grab little things, like a few monster ideas, a equipment ideas (boots of speed!) and some heroes imagined my own way (the four, plus the extra spells).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Shkoyach » September 17th, 2021, 12:09 pm

I'm really no good with all this conversion stuff. The most I could aid with is fromthe artwork standpoint. LIke if someone had it all mapped out but couldn't do the design, I could contribute in that aspect, which obviously many others here have talents for that. It just seems like a cool opportunity for using some Heroquest content.
Shkoyach

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby SmellierOne38 » December 10th, 2021, 2:01 pm

I've been trolling the site for a while but don't post much. I took a shot at the Legacy of Soril. I couldn't find any cheats. I'm not computer expert. I tried looking at some files with a hex editor, trying to hack some files. Apparantly you can't even save the game until after the first level. I wanted to make a save file, then hack it to give the characters good stats. I have done that before with old games.

My plan was to use "super characters" so I could walk around and map the level. I tried 2 times to beat the first level but failed.
SmellierOne38

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 10th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Welcome, newcomers and lurkers alike! ;)

There are videos on youtube of people playing, maybe those could be used to supplement the process? Judging by what I've seen it would be a long haul, so any conversions to the board game would probably need to be simplified, abbreviated or adjusted in scale just because you'll be wandering around a lot in big empty spaces by the look of it. I mean, assuming you're not using a modular board, you could use multiple boards, but it would start getting ridiculous if you wanted it to be a 1:1 conversion. Right?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby SmellierOne38 » December 13th, 2021, 12:08 am

I tried a different emulator, and got the save file to work (sometimes). But I still can't even beat the first map. This means I can't save the game and examine the save file. Actually, I made a party of heroes and applied the discretionary points to body and saved it before starting the first map. Then I made a different party and gave the discretionary points to fight and saved that. I compared the files and they were identical. I don't know how the game knows the difference between the save files when I load them. I wanted to beat the first level, save it, and see how it differs from the original save file. But, honestly, the game is so slow, tedious, and difficult that I don't think it is worth it. There is no way to heal mid level.
SmellierOne38

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 13th, 2021, 1:14 am

Really, you can't even use magic to heal?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext