• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [4 Quests] - The King under the Forest

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby Daedalus » December 15th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I like the idea of Spears. Most likely the Heroes will retreat to the double doors between the nearby stone sarcofagi. Without Spears, the Skeletons will lose their threat of numbers there, and the battle will be reduced to a slow, door-guarding grind. But beware, if one Hero is trapped there with Bretwald, then the Cleric will almost certainly perish. For that matter, Bretwald's lone companion Hero is also probably doomed. Pass Through Rock would be vital if the closing-door ploy is pulled with the Heroes' main strength locked out. Me, I wouldn't enter the hall in the first place unless it were necessary, or I was very bored.

Can a Hero take the lantern from a dead Bretwald? I figure yes. Also, consider an alternate ending text if Bretwald is killed.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby The Road Warrior » December 17th, 2012, 8:20 am

Daedalus wrote:I like the idea of Spears. Most likely the Heroes will retreat to the double doors between the nearby stone sarcofagi. Without Spears, the Skeletons will lose their threat of numbers there, and the battle will be reduced to a slow, door-guarding grind. But beware, if one Hero is trapped there with Bretwald, then the Cleric will almost certainly perish. For that matter, Bretwald's lone companion Hero is also probably doomed. Pass Through Rock would be vital if the closing-door ploy is pulled with the Heroes' main strength locked out. Me, I wouldn't enter the hall in the first place unless it were necessary, or I was very bored.


This room has been deliberately designed to avoid doorway defending, I find it very boring and frustrating when I'm the evil wizard :(
It is important to remember that there are 2 rooms here with the doorway B being the one that will close. As the Heroes can only search when Bretwald is in the room I think it is likely that more than 1 hero will be trapped inside for this battle as they will search the small room before moving on to the larger crypt. The two double doorways into the larger room will be open (I will have to create some doorways for this!) so the skeletons may still have the option of surrounding the Heroes. I intend for it to be a very tough battle for the Heroes.
I agree that Pass Through Rock will come in useful if the wizard or elf is trapped outside the crypt, also the Genie and Fire of Wrath. This gives me an idea for treasure in the chapel, perhaps some holy water and 2 random spell scrolls from the 3 mentioned?

Image

Daedalus wrote:Can a Hero take the lantern from a dead Bretwald? I figure yes. Also, consider an alternate ending text if Bretwald is killed.


I'm not going to add a rule for this to the pack. I think it should be up to the Evil Wizard depending on how strong the Heroes are and how evil he/she is feeling.
My wife managed to kill Bretwald and the Barbarian with the poison gas trap in quest 1, Bretwald revealed a secret stash of healing potions, saving them both so they could finish the level. I think next time I will allow a hero to pick up the lantern but they will not be able to use a crossbow, shield or two-handed weapon whilst they are holding the lantern.
Image
Join in the community project.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 639
Joined: November 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby Daedalus » December 18th, 2012, 10:30 am

Ah, now I understand your trapping room idea. It should work fine. So fine, in fact, that I'd do away with the Spears--it's overkill, in my opinion. You will already be able to surround the Heroes and get plenty of attacks off, which is what you want. Also, the sarcophagi and the narrowness of the entry room will prevent the Skeletons from using diagoal attacks anyway. Their number and better defense (with Shields) will be enough to keep the battle tense, I think.

A Flame of Wrath scroll or vial of Holy Water could be enough to make the Wizard feel he contributed to the battle. He still can cast some spells here, as well. Make it a test of his mettle rather than upping his power too much. (I imagine the bonus item is intended for the weakest melee Hero.) I think including one, the other, or both in the chapel is appropriate. I wouldn't include the Genie spell as a scroll, as Skeletons only have 1 BP.

While on the subject of the chapel freebies: I don't feel more than one free healing benefit needs to be granted. If it is always available, you will lose a lot of tension as players know they can just retreat and return to full Body Points. I'd let the player controlling Bretwald choose when to pray for the healing. A divine message or more mundane inscription would alert Bretwald of this power when he first enters the chapel.

Another thought about the demise of Bretwald: Another cleric could be inspired by the martyr to step up and fill his shoes. This way the original parchment texts can be retained with a minimum of change by the Morcar/Zargon player. All you would need is a sentence or two of explanation and the new cleric's name.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby gravaillon » December 18th, 2012, 7:59 pm

TMU wrote:
gravaillon wrote:Very great job ! :shock:
Can I translate it in french and remaster it for my heroquest's 2012 edition and put it on my blog (http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com)?

I thought you couldn't translate your remastered HeroQuests 'cause of your bad English?!? :bites-lip:


I'm "Bad English" because I'm french ! And everybody knows that french people are always bad in english no ? :mrgreen:
Anyway, I can easily understand english and translate it to a GOOD french !
What about you? Can you be a good french boy ? :goblin:
Tu penses qu'on peut dénigrer quelqu'un parce qu'il fait des erreurs en anglais, mais qu'il essaye tout de même de parler anglais car toutes les bonnes choses sont en anglais... Et là personne ne fait l'effort d'essayer de lui répondre en français. Donc quand on ne fait pas d'effort, on admire ceux des autres même s'ils ne sont pas probants... :chaoswarrior: :chaoswarrior: :gargoyle:
You understand ?
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
User avatar
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 375
Images: 35
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 3:23 pm
Location: Angers, France
Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby Sjeng » December 19th, 2012, 2:06 am

I do :D and dude, it wasn't meant as an insult, I'm sure, but as a joke. No "denigration" intended.

Je parle un petit peut Francais, et rire aussi, mais ecrir et parler Francais est plus difficile ;)

And I speak Dutch, German, English too :D I'm just too lazy to bother translating stuff. English is fine, and almoast all Dutch people know English, so I simply prefer it over any other language :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby gravaillon » December 19th, 2012, 4:04 am

I'm joking toi guy :D
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
User avatar
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 375
Images: 35
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 3:23 pm
Location: Angers, France
Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby Ethica » December 19th, 2012, 5:25 am

Good quest pack! You've clearly put alot of work in here. I think the third quest is the best one.

I know you've already finalised it but I have some suggestions too-

Quest 1 note A, you say zombies but have skeletons in the room.
Quest 2 note E, you don't need this note.
Quest 2 I think it would be nice to offer something in this quest (gold, some potions or a quest treasure) otherwise it's just a wild goose chase.
Quest 3 You have 2 chests but no notes to say if there's anything in them.
Quest 3 Warrior's Crypt. You could have 4(or less if there's not 4 heroes) pressure stones/levers or something in the corners of the room that needs all heroes need to be in the room to activate. When they do so the tombs open. As a reward perhaps each tomb could have a few gold coins in it.
Quest 4 Here's an idea about the swords, Why don't you give Morgrin's Spectre 12 body points and 0 in defence. Each sword can remove only 1 body point before it immediately vanishes/dissolves/explodes? This gives Morgrin 12 hero turns or a minimum of 3 morcar turns to wreak some havok.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 751
Images: 19
Joined: January 14th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby The Road Warrior » December 19th, 2012, 6:05 am

Thanks Ethica.

I clearly need to revisit the maps and correct them :oops: , another job to add to my to do list!!! But you have made this job much easier, thank you.

Quest 1 note A - Skeletons doesn't make sense given what the quest note says about Bretwald recognising them. I think I swapped the zombies to Skeletons when playtesting this level. I'll swap at least one of them back

Quest 2 note E - I think this is required due to the Illumination rule. e.g. a Hero stands on square E and opens the door, Bretwald stands behind him illuminating the square the Hero is on and the square directly in front of him. Only the two Mummies standing diagonally next to the Hero will be revealed as he is touching them. I want all of these monsters placed on the board simultaneously, for effect (thinking about it I might add a few more Skeletons behind this door as there is room, when I tested this level the Heroes had already found the staircase but just had to know what was behind the door before leaving, they ran for the doorway as soon as they found out!).

Quest 2 was designed to take advantage of the Illumination rule and force the Heroes to run around in the dark for a bit. There isn't really much opportunity for the Heroes to search as they are in the dark

Quest 3 - I will remove these :oops:

I have deliberately kept treasure to a minimum to tie in with the conclusion of the quest pack where the Heroes open the quest and find, well, not a lot really. I added the books in quest 4 a few days ago to compensate a little for this, but they won't know the true value of these until they have completed the quest pack.

Quest 4 - The swords have become an important part of the storyline for a sequel quest pack I am thinking about, so the Heroes will have to keep them.

I agree with you about Quest 3, it's my favourite too. But I'm hoping that the Battle at the end of Quest 4 will also be epic.
Image
Join in the community project.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 639
Joined: November 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests]- The King under the Fo

Postby TMU » December 19th, 2012, 9:24 am

gravaillon wrote:What about you? Can you be a good french boy ? :goblin:
Tu penses qu'on peut dénigrer quelqu'un parce qu'il fait des erreurs en anglais, mais qu'il essaye tout de même de parler anglais car toutes les bonnes choses sont en anglais... Et là personne ne fait l'effort d'essayer de lui répondre en français. Donc quand on ne fait pas d'effort, on admire ceux des autres même s'ils ne sont pas probants... :chaoswarrior: :chaoswarrior: :gargoyle:
You understand ?

Sure I understand :) Mais pourquoi dites-vous que votre anglais est mauvais quand nous pouvons tous voir comment écrivez-vous? :mrgreen:
Sjeng wrote:and dude, it wasn't meant as an insult, I'm sure, but as a joke.

Definitely didn't mean to insult you gravaillon, an if I did, I apologize :oops:
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1870
Images: 15
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Location: Rauma, Finland
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest