• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

minotaurs, ghosts, nith goblins and more

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Re: minotaurs, ghosts, nith goblins and more

Postby Sjeng » April 16th, 2012, 6:50 am

Templar wrote:
drathe wrote:Flora generally means plant life.

Thank you. You learn something new every day. :D

When designing a new quest the other day I felt like I needed some kind of weak, swift undead monster to be a contrast to the Flora Horra (or abomination, I'm 50-50 on this now :P ), simply an undead version of a goblin.

Ghoul
Attack 2
Defence 1
Mind 0
Body 1
Move 8

Cool! And now I have ghouls, I can use them too! (from a mantic box, morgoth's revenge, if you're wondering)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » April 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Templar wrote:I really want a third beastman-type monster, and at the same time I am looking for something with a strong attack but pretty bad defence.

This doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but while posting about a Battle Masters / Hero Quest crossover on another site, I came up with HQ stats for the Battle Masters Beastman:

Move 7
Attack 3
Defend 3
Body 1
Mind 2

In power, a Beastman is between an Orc and a Fimir. A nice perk is a Battle Masters Beastman has the Hero Quest look, as it was produced by Milton Bradley shortly after Hero Quest. They also come cheap with a partially complete set of Battle Masters on Ebay.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » April 18th, 2012, 5:10 am

Templar wrote:...I think this model might fit as an "insect-man":

I am sure that this monster comes from the ad&d, but I can't remember how they call it or where I've seen it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thrawn » April 21st, 2012, 12:40 pm

It's a thri-kreen. They existed on many worlds, but were best known for being a playable race in the Darksun setting back in the 80's and 90's.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 21st, 2012, 9:24 pm

Back when we played AD&D a Thri_Kreen was one of the last things you wanted to see. Nasty bugs with allot of friend bugs with adamantium weapons. /shivers
At least when we survived an attack of bugs the adamantite weapons we looted from their corpses was worth allot to the local Dwarven Smiths.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Templar » April 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm

Sjeng wrote:Cool! And now I have ghouls, I can use them too! (from a mantic box, morgoth's revenge, if you're wondering)

They look very nice, but too dynamic for Heroquest in my opinion. Static poses is where it's at! :mrgreen:
Daedalus wrote:This doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but while posting about a Battle Masters / Hero Quest crossover on another site, I came up with HQ stats for the Battle Masters Beastman:

Move 7
Attack 3
Defend 3
Body 1
Mind 2

In power, a Beastman is between an Orc and a Fimir. A nice perk is a Battle Masters Beastman has the Hero Quest look, as it was produced by Milton Bradley shortly after Hero Quest. They also come cheap with a partially complete set of Battle Masters on Ebay.

The models are very nice, and you have made reasonable stats...if I get a hold of some of these dudes, I will definitely incorporate them in my bestiary!
cynthialee wrote:Back when we played AD&D a Thri_Kreen was one of the last things you wanted to see. Nasty bugs with allot of friend bugs with adamantium weapons. /shivers
At least when we survived an attack of bugs the adamantite weapons we looted from their corpses was worth allot to the local Dwarven Smiths.

So they had good weapons? Well that is good news if I want them to have a good attack. :D
I was only going to explain the high attack value with lightning reflexes, but excellent weapons are a great complement. Thanx for the info!
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 22nd, 2012, 4:37 pm

Thri Kreen in the MM2 ussed pole arms made of adamantium similar to the Ransuer and thrown weapons that were a large triangle of adamantium.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » April 24th, 2012, 5:43 am

@Thrawn and cynthialee , wow, thanks for the info!

@Templar, Google images have some nice artwork to feed your imagination and I can “see” a very good campaign for your table of 2-4 quests with only this one thri-kreen miniature. 4 quests, one for each thri-kreen guardians and when you kill them you are awakening their ancient thri-kreen God. Put some chaos spells with scorpions and desert stuff, maybe try to find more info for this race from books and internet to support your scenarios, and you will have a perfect weekend table.

Try some special rooms with moving sand, booby traps, egyptian runes, and poisonous pits- could give the necessary perfume.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 24th, 2012, 4:21 pm

I have a different suggestion for that high attack, low defense beastman. Toco researched deeply and discovered original Milton Bradley concept art for the Dwarf and Wizard expansion packs that were never released. I don't wanna step on his toes, so rather than grabbing his picture to post here, I'll provide this link to his site: http://www.toco.be/ahq/unreleased/index.htm

Scroll towards the bottom and you'll find a Ratman holding a Battle Axe/Axe or Halberd. I'd say the Ratman has 2 or 3 Defend dice and 2, 3, or 4 Attack dice. One or two of the Skaven from Advanced Heroquest could work for the Ratman (or mod them):

These Marauder Skaven also fit the bill nicely:

Scrolling to the very last picture, you'll find the Centaur armed with a Battle Axe/Axe and a Shortsword. Looks like 2 or 3 Defend dice and 3 to to 4 Attack dice plus 2 Attack dice that could be combined for 5 to 6 Attack dice against a single, unfortunate opponent! It never made it to the prototype figure stage, but that's probably for cost-cutting reasons rather than appropriateness for inclusion in Hero Quest. Here is a cheap Mage Knight Centaur Lieutenant that has a single Battle Axe:

Brunor from Heroscape could be modded with an Axe, but he's big, probably 5+ Body big (compare to the dragon rider):

Here's a cheap D&D Miniatures Harbinger Centaur that would need some modding:

Confrontation has some Celt Centaurs:

Scratch-building could build you one from Warhammer parts. Check out this from Cool mini or not:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Templar » April 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Daedalus wrote: Scroll towards the bottom and you'll find a Ratman holding a Battle Axe/Axe or Halberd. I'd say the Ratman has 2 or 3 Defend dice and 2, 3, or 4 Attack dice

I could easily see this type of skaven as some of the albino stormvermin, the grey seers bodyguards. A simple skaven would be a 2 AD/2 DD monster, but the elite of the elite skaven might have a 4/2 stat line for sure :P

I'm less into the close combat centaur though...I prefer the shooty ones 8-)
Patroclus wrote:I can “see” a very good campaign for your table of 2-4 quests with only this one thri-kreen miniature. 4 quests, one for each thri-kreen guardians and when you kill them you are awakening their ancient thri-kreen God. Put some chaos spells with scorpions and desert stuff, maybe try to find more info for this race from books and internet to support your scenarios, and you will have a perfect weekend table.

Sounds nice. :D
When I'm finished with my current grand camaign, then I might give it a try.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Monsters