• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hobgoblin Stats

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Hobgoblin Stats

Postby Lowery_79 » November 5th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Hello All,

I was going down a rabbit hole so to speak looking for Stats for a Hobgoblin for HQ. I wanted to share what I found and see if the forum agrees with these Stats or if something with them should change:
Mo A D B M
8 2 3 2 1

Just to see them together:
Orc
Mo A D B M
8 3 2 1 2

Goblin
Mo A D B M
10 2 1 1 1

The only thing that seems off to me is the Hobgoblin's mind point. From an old D&D Monster Manual I have, it says: "Hobgoblins are intelligent, organized, and aggressive".
"Hobgoblins feel superior to goblins or orcs and may act as leaders for them. In such cases the goblins and orcs are seen as a lesser race. Thus they are used as battle fodder".

Also on this site it gives Stats for or Monsters to be used for HQ:
http://www.heroscribe.org/lucasx/hqmonsters.htm

As always thanks for your time
Last edited by Daedalus on May 3rd, 2021, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved topic from General Heroquest Discussion room
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hobgoblin Stats

Postby Maurice76 » November 6th, 2019, 5:00 am

So, just raise the Hobgoblin's mind point to 2, problem solved ;).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 6th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I recently introduced hobgoblins into my HQ with the following stats:
Mv 9, Att 3, Def 3, Bdy 2, Mnd 2

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Lowery_79 » November 6th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Thanks for your guys input. Not that I can't use them else where but my main reason for wanting the hobgoblin stats is so I can have one mounted on a wolf leading my wolf riders into field battles. Though I have not figured out how to run an outside quest for heroquest. But no mounted monsters would be in a dungen for sure.
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby The Admiral » November 7th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Lowery_79 wrote:Thanks for your guys input. Not that I can't use them else where but my main reason for wanting the hobgoblin stats is so I can have one mounted on a wolf leading my wolf riders into field battles. Though I have not figured out how to run an outside quest for heroquest. But no mounted monsters would be in a dungen for sure.

I'm not so sure. Giant Wolves are at home in the dungeon, so a normal wolf with a Goblin rider would be quite feasible. In fact I have just done stats for them in a quest I have just played, although it was in fact in an outside setting!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Lowery_79 » November 7th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Hey Admiral, just seen your last post. I was not sure weather to make the wolfs of the would riders normal size or giant wolfs. I have posted about them here before if you wanted to look that post up. I needed to play test things first, but until now I have not had a chance to do that. now that winter is coming here. My one friend that could help me with play testing should have more time.

But I'm very interested in the quest you just played through with the outside setting. would you care if I see that quest and what rules you go by to make a quest like that?
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Pancho » November 8th, 2019, 4:33 am

I’ve used goblin wolfriders in Heroquest. I think it can fit well, given the right dungeon setting*. I just gave them the stats of a goblin and a giant wolf. The combined unit gets two attacks, one from the goblin and one from the wolf, and the Hero can choose which monster to target during his own attack. If the giant wolf is killed the monster is replaced with a simple goblin, and vice versa.

*I’ve written a quest where the Heroes have to infiltrate a fort surrounded by the camp of an entire goblin army, in order to assassinate their chieftain. It makes sense to me that there would be a lot of wolves in that setting (going by Warhammer fantasy lore).

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 8th, 2019, 5:45 am

Lowery_79 wrote:Hey Admiral, just seen your last post. I was not sure weather to make the wolfs of the would riders normal size or giant wolfs. I have posted about them here before if you wanted to look that post up. I needed to play test things first, but until now I have not had a chance to do that. now that winter is coming here. My one friend that could help me with play testing should have more time.

But I'm very interested in the quest you just played through with the outside setting. would you care if I see that quest and what rules you go by to make a quest like that?

The quest was Interlude 1 of 'The Destruction of the Tomes' Questpack. That quest actually specifies two Giant Wolves, but I substituted two Goblin Wolf Riders. I play them as two separate monsters that move together. Each must be targeted separately and if one dies it is replaced by a single model of the survivor. They each make a separate attack. I use the figures from Battlemasters, so if the Goblin dies I just remove him, and if the wolf dies I replace the whole figure with a Goblin Spearman. The stats are as follows:

Wolf = Mv 10, Att 4, Def 2, Bdy 3, Mnd 1
Goblin Spearman = Mv 10, Att 2d, Def 2, Bdy 1, Mnd 1

Here is the pic I took.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 8th, 2019, 5:47 am

Pancho wrote:I’ve used goblin wolfriders in Heroquest. I think it can fit well, given the right dungeon setting*. I just gave them the stats of a goblin and a giant wolf. The combined unit gets two attacks, one from the goblin and one from the wolf, and the Hero can choose which monster to target during his own attack. If the giant wolf is killed the monster is replaced with a simple goblin, and vice versa.

Great minds! :)

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Lowery_79 » November 8th, 2019, 10:49 am

Thanks for the info and thanks for the visual. I’m at work now but later today I would like to show you guys something else and I had another question on this topic thanks
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Return to Monsters