• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Cultists

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Cultists

Postby Pancho » Thursday April 19th, 2018 10:58am

I'll be ordering these sinister looking folks from Reaper shortly;

Image

They are part of a Death Cult that believes the dead shall inherit the world from the living, and they wish to raise the Witch Lord to rule over all that remains.
Any ideas for what stats/rules I should use for these fanatics?

I was thinking 2 body points, not sure about the rest.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Cultists

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday April 19th, 2018 12:26pm

9 move - 1 attack (incl. diagonal) - 2 defend - 4 mind - 2 body - can cast a spell instead of attacking: announce it and draw a chaos spell card at random and cast it immediately. spell goes back into the deck.

if you feel that's overpowéred, give him the choice only if there is another cultist in his line of sight.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5822
Images: 27
Joined: Friday May 25th, 2012 2:26pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby Pancho » Thursday April 19th, 2018 1:55pm

knightkrawler wrote:9 move - 1 attack (incl. diagonal) - 2 defend - 4 mind - 2 body - can cast a spell instead of attacking: announce it and draw a chaos spell card at random and cast it immediately. spell goes back into the deck.

if you feel that's overpowéred, give him the choice only if there is another cultist in his line of sight.

I like it. They will be in dungeons with the usual undead creatures so I want them to stand out from those. 9 movement stands out well from the slow moving zombies etc. Rubbish in attack but can cast spells instead. Nice. I was thinking of poisoned daggers but maybe spells are a better option.
Perhaps necromancy spells rather than Chaos ones? And maybe each cultist only gets to cast one (random) spell. That will stop them from being overpowered, along with the line of sight thingy you came up with.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby Anderas » Thursday April 19th, 2018 2:37pm

What about:

Every cultist has +1 BP for every other cultist currently with him in the room.

Because they feel fanatic and strong in masses.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3200
Images: 33
Joined: Saturday September 20th, 2014 7:02am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday April 19th, 2018 2:52pm

Anderas wrote:They feel fanatic and strong in masses.


That's what I included the line of sight thingie for casting spells for.
There's a lot of other weaker monsters that your suggestion would fit. Zombies, Kobolds (the D&D lizard-type), Skinks, Giant Rats...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5822
Images: 27
Joined: Friday May 25th, 2012 2:26pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby The Admiral » Thursday April 19th, 2018 4:05pm

knightkrawler wrote:9 move - 1 attack (incl. diagonal) - 2 defend - 4 mind - 2 body - can cast a spell instead of attacking: announce it and draw a chaos spell card at random and cast it immediately. spell goes back into the deck.

if you feel that's overpowéred, give him the choice only if there is another cultist in his line of sight.


9 movement seems a bit much for a human. I would go 8. that's standard human movement (7) +1 for fanaticism. 8 is still fast compared to the undead host. I wouldn't give them a diagonal attack armed only with a dagger. Other stats look good. I would allow each to cast one randomly drawn spell (Per quest, not per turn) from a pre-selected undead type deck, but with no massively powerful spells for these guys i.e. no Cloud of Chaos, Firestorm or lightning Bolt.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wednesday April 8th, 2015 7:31am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby Pancho » Thursday April 19th, 2018 4:06pm

I think the increased power if other Cultists are in line of sight works better with spells than it does with body points. Think of it like a group chant; the chanting is more powerful if another cult member is adding his voice to the spell casting.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday April 19th, 2018 4:10pm

Pancho wrote:I think the increased power if other Cultists are in line of sight works better with spells than it does with body points. Think of it like a group chant; the chanting is more powerful if another cult member is adding his voice to the spell casting.


That was the theme I had in mind and transferred in the least complicated rule I could think of.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5822
Images: 27
Joined: Friday May 25th, 2012 2:26pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby Pancho » Friday April 20th, 2018 3:31am

knightkrawler wrote:
Pancho wrote:I think the increased power if other Cultists are in line of sight works better with spells than it does with body points. Think of it like a group chant; the chanting is more powerful if another cult member is adding his voice to the spell casting.


That was the theme I had in mind and transferred in the least complicated rule I could think of.

I was just looking at the Necromancer spells from WOM and I think these would work well for the group chanting spells.
If a Cultist is within line of sight to another they may cast a group spell. The 1st cultist may draw one Necromancer card drawn at random from the deck of 6 and cast it, so long as a 2nd Cultist who hasn't carried out his own attack or spell this turn is in line of sight to the 1st.
Otherwise a cultist is limited to attacking with his dagger.
Attack 1, not diagonal but may be thrown (unlimited number of daggers).
Defence 2 (no armour).
Move 8 (like Admiral said, 9 would be a little too fast).
Mind 4 (they are spellcasters after all).
Body 2 (to keep them in line with other humans).

They should be interesting monsters to encounter. Frequently found in pairs :twisted:


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Cultists

Postby The Admiral » Friday April 20th, 2018 5:06am

Pancho wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:
Pancho wrote:I think the increased power if other Cultists are in line of sight works better with spells than it does with body points. Think of it like a group chant; the chanting is more powerful if another cult member is adding his voice to the spell casting.


That was the theme I had in mind and transferred in the least complicated rule I could think of.

I was just looking at the Necromancer spells from WOM and I think these would work well for the group chanting spells.
If a Cultist is within line of sight to another they may cast a group spell. The 1st cultist may draw one Necromancer card drawn at random from the deck of 6 and cast it, so long as a 2nd Cultist who hasn't carried out his own attack or spell this turn is in line of sight to the 1st.
Otherwise a cultist is limited to attacking with his dagger.
Attack 1, not diagonal but may be thrown (unlimited number of daggers).
Defence 2 (no armour).
Move 8 (like Admiral said, 9 would be a little too fast).
Mind 4 (they are spellcasters after all).
Body 2 (to keep them in line with other humans).

They should be interesting monsters to encounter. Frequently found in pairs :twisted:


Yes, I like most of that. The thrown daggers is a great idea. You could really go to town on the dagger aspect as to what effects they could have if they manage to inflict non defended damage on a Hero. Necromancer spells are excellent, not too overpowered, but with the undead theme. I like the concept of these guys drawing strength from each other, but I see the cultists as low level casters, not full blown sorcerers etc. The ability for multiple spell casting seems overpowered to me. I think I would play their spellcasting as follows:
When a room containing cultists is encountered, the Evil Wizard player should draw one random Necromancer Spell. One of the Cultists in the room may cast that spell as long as their is at least one other cultist present in the room at the moment of casting.

Whichever mechanism is used, the Heroes will take time to work out how it works, and when they do, they will be trying to get at the Cultists while their minions try to hold them off. Do you ignore the Chaos Warrior to try and prevent a spell? Choices, I like Heroes to have to make choices.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wednesday April 8th, 2015 7:31am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Monsters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests