• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hydra!

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Re: Hydra!

Postby Big Bene » May 7th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz are biblical monsters of the seas, lands and skies respectively. Neither have specific characteristics, but are often used loosely in fantasy regardless.

Ziz is not exactly biblical. He is mentioned in jewish myths, but not in the bible itself. :ugeek:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » May 9th, 2017, 3:25 am

While not exactly featured heavily in the bible...
wikipedia wrote:There is only passing mention of the Ziz in the Bible, found in Psalms 50:11 "I know all the birds of the mountains and Zīz śāday is mine" and Psalms 80:13-14 "The boar from the forest ravages it, and Zīz śāday feeds on it." (Hebrew: וְזִיז שָׂדַי‎), and these are often lost in translation from the Hebrew.
Emphasis is mine.

So yes and no. If you regard the Hebrew bible as "canon" it does indeed feature Ziz.
But most other languages has replaced Ziz with simply insects, beasts or animals.

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » May 15th, 2017, 9:25 am

Goblin-King wrote:While not exactly featured heavily in the bible...

wikipedia hat geschrieben:
There is only passing mention of the Ziz in the Bible, found in Psalms 50:11 "I know all the birds of the mountains and Zīz śāday is mine" and Psalms 80:13-14 "The boar from the forest ravages it, and Zīz śāday feeds on it." (Hebrew: וְזִיז שָׂדַי‎), and these are often lost in translation from the Hebrew.

I stand corrected. My bad.
Normally, when making claims like this, and not really sure, I recheck the Hebrew source. Seems I'm getting old...
Of course, the Hebrew bible is canon. No "Yes and No" here, just "No". I missed that one.

Having said this, our little side discourse seems to have stopped the thread dead, which is a pity.
The real topic here are the monsters from "real" folklore made into Heroquest rules, which I think is a field of endless possiblilities.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » May 15th, 2017, 9:46 am

Which is not necessarily bad:

So far, we stated:
* Different viewpoints about a monster and how to use it in a Quest, by some preferring the "the MONSTER" variant and some preferring the "a monster" variant
* A host of special-rule-free statlines that can exhaust a fully equipped group
* Some examples of how you can special rule the hydra and the gorgons, so that they actually become special

So, on we go, with the other "historic" monsters! :)
I vote for excluding the manticore, because it was featured in the super-cheap copy of Heroquest, DSA Boardgame, first variant. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 15th, 2017, 9:56 am

Moving on: There's also the lammasu from ancient Mesopotamian religion, perhaps most known for it's inclusion in the Chaos Dwarf army.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » May 15th, 2017, 11:51 am

I've done a little research in Norse mythology, and came up with maybe two (the third is a joke) that could be used.

Draugr "Again-Walker" - Undead monster or Phantom, maybe could be used as a way to bring a fallen boss back to life. This monster is also used in Skyrim.
Hamingia - Shape-Shifter
Ratatoskr "Drill-Tooth or Bore-Tooth" - Means Squirrel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » May 16th, 2017, 5:13 am

Thor-in wrote:Ratatoskr "Drill-Tooth or Bore-Tooth" - Means Squirrel
Ratatoskr is
Anderas wrote: "the MONSTER"

it is a very special squirrel that runs up and down the Midgart Tree Yggdrasill and exchanges news between the dragon at the root s and the eagle in the leafs - malevolent forces of nature who seek to destroy the Tree (=the human World).

By the way, the DSA boardgame part 1 was all but cheap. It had some great ideas: The heroes with the dial base (an early forerunner of Heroclix), the threedimensional part of the dungeon with the stairs, which can easily and very stylish been included into Heroquest, the openable chests for the treasures, the concept of collecting the figures of killed monsters for experince points (very haptic and HQ-style). The problem was that the basic gaming concept is broken - you play the same quest all the time. This is because they tried to think of something original and not copy Heroquest too close (like other games of the area). Pitily, they didn't come up with an idea as good as Heroquest (which would have been near impossible anyway). But the game definitely has it's merits.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 13th, 2017, 1:52 am

Aw man, this is the second time my Hydra is late to the party!

As for the OP's request for other mythical beasts, don't forget the salamander and even the hypocampus and sea serpent if you can get around the water issue.

Here's a dragon and basilisk stuff from the Inn that might help spark some ideas.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 13th, 2017, 11:36 am

I have only had one group of adventurers defeat a hydra regardless of game system.
My players would much prefer to interrupt a pair of amorous dragons.

For HQ How would I build a Hydra...?
1st determine starting heads. 1 for every Hero in play and an extra head for each 3 sell swords the heroes have employed sounds good...
Move: 5
Attack Per Head: 3
Defend: 8
Mind: 1 {Dominant Head: 2}
Body: 10
The heads of course regenerate...2 new heads appear for each head destroyed. A head is destroyed on any attack inflicting 3 or more body points per blow. This mechanic may be avoided if the players specifically dictate they are actively avoiding the heads, but this will require the heroes to attack with one less attack dice. If a head is destroyed it must be cauterized with fire, acid or raw magic. This will take an action by the next hero who has a torch, an acid flask or a spell caster. A spell caster need not use a spell card to summons the raw magic to seal the wound, but he will have to of course get close enough to do it and make his dice roll. The beast may not defend against cauterizing attacks, but the hero or sell sword must roll a skull. These cauterizing attacks are taken with 2 combat dice. If a destroyed head is not cauterized before the EWP takes his turn then two new heads will appear in it's place. These heads may take immediate attacks.
The beasts necks are long and very agile. The monster may strike any target in the same room. In hallways the beast has a range of 3 squares.
If 'defeated' the corpse of the hydra must be cremated or it will regenerate over time.

The unique monster known as the Lernean Hydra has all of the above combat statistics x3. This hydra is a god slayer so expect to die if you meet it.

Some rare versions of these monsters are reported to employ breath weapons. Fire, acid and chlorine attacks are most common.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » May 4th, 2018, 2:40 pm

So....

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on Norse Mythology, Vampire Folklore, Norse Mythological Creatures, and soon Christianity (not so much in that order). I ran across a name of a being that intrigued me.

Lilith.

Lilith first showed up in Babylonian Talmud between the 3rd and 5th centuries. In Jewish Mythology she is Adam's first wife (before Eve). I'm not going to get into the whole religion part about Lilith. Lilith is said to be a dangerous demon of the night that steels and feeds on the blood/flesh of a new born. Sounds like a Vampire to me, but I continue to read on. I further discover that she had numerous spirits and demons with Cain, from the Mythology of Cain and Able and Lilith. Interesting.

I continue on with my readings of Norse Mythology now and run across a the name of a Germanic Legendary Creature, The Grindylow. So I read about the Grindylow and it references to Grendel, and it being the son of Cain. Very interesting, wait Lilith had a "son" with Cain, so is The Mother of Grendel Lilith????

So now I'm onto Vampire Folklore, and the first "Vampire" to ever be recorded is Lilith, ex-wife to Able, "Mother of Grendel", a baby stealing/eating demon that needs blood to survive. Very, very interesting.

Now I'm not trying to be 100% accurate or talk about religion. I just find it funny that we have one Mythological Creature showing up in many different myths and folklore.

So why not create a monster based of the "supposed mother" of a hole crap ton Mythical creatures?
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Monsters