• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Beefing up the Gargoyle

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Re: Beefing up the Gargoyle

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » October 12th, 2022, 11:12 am

I've just been reviewing the Revenge of the Weatherman Quest for inclusions in my scroll of conversion for HeroQuest Gold and the presence of the Ice Gargoyle monster, gave me an idea...perhaps we could have different flavours of Gargoyles, one for each element...

The Gargoyle's card text suggests that Dark Magics are used in their animation … what if the dark magics used were the summoning and imprisoning of an Elemental…into a stone statue* (or *ice in the case of the Water Gargoyle)?

Gargoyle (Earth) is default unless otherwise stated (the Ice Gargoyle already appears in “Revenge of the Weatherman”) and I would consider replacing the Gargoyle from KK’s Grin Crag with the new Fire Gargoyle (and dropping the immune to spells) and watch as the Heroes try and fireball it!

Earth Gargoyle

Vulnerable to 'Air' element, so Genie spell gets and extra AD against this monster

Resistant to Earth Spells (also not sure what difference this would make)

Fire Gargoyle

The one I introduced above, the Lava monster with eyes that glow with fire and when the monster moves you can see the molten core beneath the stone exterior.

Vulnerable to Water spells, sacred water - extra AD and chill attacks

Resistant to fire spells (so it gets to roll its DD in defence)

Ice (Water) Gargoyle

Resistant to water spells: Sacred Water, Chill Attack

Vulnerable to fire magic & alchemist's fire - extra AD from those spells or artefacts - by fire attack I mean fire attack spells, flaming weapons, arrows, fireball traps, exploding chest traps, alchemists fire flasks and similar

General

And of course they would all have this ability

Rock Solid

A character with this ability can only be pushed back if the attackers roll shows at least two Black Shields rather than the usual one.

Toyed with the idea of giving them ‘Regeneration’ special ability that my Troll has, but figured these are hard enough to put down as it is …
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Previous

Return to Monsters