• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Extra Monsters from White Dwarf

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

The Extra Monsters from White Dwarf

Postby Patroclus » March 16th, 2013, 4:49 am

We’ve seen many variations of enemy status. Even between the original packs, e.x. the ogre warrior in elven pack has the outrageous 10 body while the maximum number of body points in ogres hoard is 5. Though it is not bad to make changes in our own quests, it is good to have somewhere the original additional monsters of games workshop at least as a reference.
In warhammer’s world there are not so many monster races, and I think with these, from white dwarf (145) and marvel winter special, the list is almost complete.

By checking the two ogre’s status we could see that they are keeping the same scores for movement/attack/defense/mind and the only change from ogres hoard is the body points, which are variable in ogre’s pack with the known body point track.

About the Troll, the body points are different between the two pages, and in my opinion the 1 body of the second page is very low. The same for Rat Ogre, the 1 body point should be counted as 4 at least, as troll.

So, the work for these additional monsters, except maybe the body points, seems to be accurate and we should pay some attention.
Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Extra Monsters from White Dwarf

Postby Sjeng » March 16th, 2013, 5:11 am

These are my remakes of these monsters: (for ogres I used the existing ogre horde cards). I believe Trolls are huge and dangerous, and should attack with more than three dice. They're bigger and badder than chaos warriors, but not as smart. I did add a regeneration rule, so they can skip an attack and heal themselves.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 16th, 2013, 5:24 am

Yes. Definitely use the 4 BP for the troll. No way a troll is that easy to kill. Though it's stats ARE pretty weak!
In fact it's totally useless! It doesn't fill any spot. It's just like a mummy! okay so it has intelligence, kinda...
They should have given him regeneration or something... meh... what a waste...

It gives me a bad taste to tweak official stats, but yeah, the rat ogre should really have more BPs. Same as the troll as they are rather similar. Or at least three. IF you really want to tweak it!
But again... which role is this creature supposed to fill? It's rust a reskinned fimir!

At least the skaven warrior (skeleton) and White Seer (another fimir) both have special rules to set them apart.
Why does a seer and an ogre have the same attack and defense stats?
These weren't really well thought out!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » March 16th, 2013, 8:37 am

I don't remember off the top of my head the BP and MP for my troll, but I give it
AD 3/3 - two attacks at three a piece. And, as a special, if both cause at least 1
point of damage, it can pick up its target and toss it a certain number of
spaces.
I also give it regeneration...1 point per turn, I think...but this is automatic. No
regen for fire damage.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thrawn » April 12th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Goblin-King wrote:It gives me a bad taste to tweak official stats, but yeah, the rat ogre should really have more BPs. Same as the troll as they are rather similar. Or at least three. IF you really want to tweak it!

I've gotten over that over the years. I used to be all about keeping official stats too, but now I modify even some of the core creatures in our gaming group. I try to keep rules simple, but I think having monsters have more variety in rules instead of just being a couple of numbers for attack/defense/body makes the game much more interesting.

In Waaagh! I statted trolls as follows:
Move 6, Attack 3, Defend 3, Body 4, Mind 1, Special Rule: Regeneration

Regeneration - When injured, but still above 0 body point, a regenerating creature roles 1 combat die for each missing body point at the beginning of their turn. For each shield (white or black) the creature regains 1 body point.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kaiyanwang » October 2nd, 2013, 5:02 am

In my opinion the troll should not ave multiple attacks, but a grab ability like the Yethi
Kaiyanwang

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 11th, 2017, 7:20 am

Sjeng wrote:These are my remakes of these monsters: (for ogres I used the existing ogre horde cards). I believe Trolls are huge and dangerous, and should attack with more than three dice. They're bigger and badder than chaos warriors, but not as smart. I did add a regeneration rule, so they can skip an attack and heal themselves.

Where does this regeneration come from? Is there some thing from Trolls folklore I do not know about?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 11th, 2017, 9:15 am

Body parts re-grow very quickly, like a lizard's tail.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 11th, 2017, 9:22 am

knightkrawler wrote:Body parts re-grow very quickly, like a lizard's tail.

That gave me a good idea for Lizardmen. If they do not lose all BP in one attack, they go back to full BP automatically. I would give a Lizardman 2 BP.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Where does this regeneration come from? Is there some thing from Trolls folklore I do not know about?

Perhaps this from the Wikipedia entry, Troll (Dungeons & Dragons):

While trolls can be found throughout folklores worldwide, the D&D troll has little in common with these. Instead it was inspired partly by myth, and partly by a regenerating troll that appears in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions.[1] This includes their appearance, as tall skinny humanoids with long noses and rubbery skin, their ability to regenerate, and their weakness to fire.[citation needed]
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Monsters