• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

buffing the wizard

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: buffing the wizard

Postby alyndavies » August 10th, 2015, 2:34 pm

The issues with the Wizards as I see them:

Wizard only attacks with 1 dice = my fix, in the Uk version I let the wizard have a staff card at the start, the Barbarian gets a broadsword card, the dwarf a hand axe and the elf a short sword, I pretty much have 5-6 of every equipment card so it's not a problem. Wizard can melee now at the start along with the other characters.

Wizards defense - with the shield and helmet only costing 100 and 120 gold coins, it's a bit silly that the Wizards cloak and bracers cost 350? and 200? gold coins each! So generally I drop the prices to those of the shield and helmet, thats just being fair to the wizard.
Additionally in the Uk rules the wizard can equip borins armor and the spirit blade, so they are pretty good items for him.

I also printed out the extra artifact cards off this website so the Magisters hood comes in useful, giving the Wizard 6 body points.

The basic issue is most of us still playing have introduced our children to the game, and being so young they take bloody ages looking at the wizards spells, and not being sure what to do, which leads to the other kids shouting at them. I've always felt the wizard can be fixed with a little common sense in the uk version but most people simply prefer to over power morcars enemies rather than out strategize them.

I have heard the wizard described as a glass cannon, but in reality he's not, the genie is a decent offensive spell in the uk version as he can attack ANY mob anywhere on the board whether the wizard can see him or not, I noticed this is changed in the US version. Aside from that the fire spells are decent enough but they dont add enough to compare to what the other 3 characters can use as standard.

Finally I can add that as the wizard your only ever 1 chaos warrior away from death, one lucky roll for him and an unlucky one from you and the game is over.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby slev » August 13th, 2015, 7:27 am

Shield and Helmet and Bracers are vulnerable to Rust, unlike the Cloak.
She Shieldld is subject to Thieving Wind, unlike the Cloak.
The Shield prevents the use of two-handed weapons, while the Helm, Bracers and Cloak do not.

Demonsterably, the Cloak is better than Bracers/Helm, is better than the Shield. If anything, the Helmet & Shield, in fact armours in general, are under-priced!

This thread has lots of interesting ideas: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2706

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 14th, 2015, 5:10 am

slev wrote:Shield and Helmet and Bracers are vulnerable to Rust, unlike the Cloak.
She Shieldld is subject to Thieving Wind, unlike the Cloak.
The Shield prevents the use of two-handed weapons, while the Helm, Bracers and Cloak do not.

Demonsterably, the Cloak is better than Bracers/Helm, is better than the Shield. If anything, the Helmet & Shield, in fact armours in general, are under-priced!

This thread has lots of interesting ideas: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2706

Rust and Thieving wind are only spells in wizards of morcar at least in the uk version, so it only counts as one expansion. I dont think the wizard actually has the option to use a 2 handed weapon, which is basically the battle axe?
I'm not even sure the 2 handed argument could be used because in my experience everyone uses borins armor, sword and shield and spirit blade. The family members I play with simply dont use the battle axe.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » August 14th, 2015, 6:21 am

That's why the pricing difference is smaller than the difference between two weapons.

The argument is that the Cloak should cost more than the Bracers/helm, how much more is the question.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 18th, 2015, 5:02 am

slev wrote:That's why the pricing difference is smaller than the difference between two weapons.

The argument is that the Cloak should cost more than the Bracers/helm, how much more is the question.

My reasoning is it should be the same price, if for no other reason than the wizard nearly always dies and is always the first targeted by Zargon anyway.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 18th, 2015, 7:42 pm

I think I may have it figured out!

Give the wizard all the spell cards except the Elf spells and Chaos spells. And I mean all of them. Make it hard for him to decide which spell to cast.
Give the wizard 12 Manna Tokens.
Every spell regardless of effect costs 1 Manna Token to cast, win loose or draw. The Wizard may not 'back to back cast' the same school of magic and he can not cast the same spell from a school until he has cast a different spell. Basically you can't cast the same spell over and over and you must use the lower power spells to regain access to the higher power ones.
The Wizard is a student/apprentice of Mentor and he expects his students to cast spells to perfect their powers. Thus any time the wizard finishes a dungeon with 4 or more tokens, Mentor fines the Wizard 100 Gold Coins.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 18th, 2015, 11:55 pm

That's quite bold, but why not!
The 12 Mana tokens, are they equal to "cast 12 times"?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 19th, 2015, 9:44 am

?
a spell requires energy, the tokens represent the amount of energy a wizard can use in a day, each time a spell is cast it requires the same amount of energy regardless of power invoked
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby slev » August 19th, 2015, 10:14 am

Slight twist to make things easier to track:
Give each Spell a value (say 1-3), depending on how useful/powerful it is. Increase the number of Mana Tokens to match this (about 30-36, given the original 12).
When cast, the Wizard places onto that card a number of Energy equal to that number, plus the number of tokens already on it.
Yes, it's a bit "Eurogame" a mechanism, but it's easy to count, and it makes chain casting powerful spells very exhausting.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 19th, 2015, 4:03 pm

I once had the idea to give any hero the theoretical chance to cast spells.
You get MPx3 "Mana" points at the beginning of each quest, spells are assigned 1, 2, or 3 points of cost. A hero who may now cast spells picks one from the complete deck. They are not picked before the quest, and only the ones with 3 points are discarded after being cast. This part of the rule isn't necessary, of course, but it was part of what I came up with.
Only at at least 5 Mind points (current!) can a hero cast a spell. At 3 current Mind points they can use scrolls.
That takes into account the amulet thingy and a scroll inventory which I wanted to utilize Slev's or Flint's for.
Did away with it for simplicity reasons, but I still find it a rather good idea.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes