• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Warlock theme change (houserules)

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Warlock theme change (houserules)

Postby Cheretep » March 25th, 2024, 4:31 am

I rarely make any changes to HeroQuest as I really want to keep it simple and most house rules cause unintended consequences. However this is something that has bothered me: I wanted to like the new Warlock hero but playing it felt wrong. After some googling and thinking I decided to share my solution. None of this is original; all ideas came from someone else, I just collected the parts I wanted. If I could remember who to give credit for each idea, I would.

Problem: Warlock hero is mechanically solid, but it feels thematically wrong.
Instead of someone who messes with demonic powers and can transform into a demon, it feels more like you are playing a demon that transforms into a gnome when slapped. Casting Demonform costs an action, so it's usually bad thing to do in combat. Instead you first transform and then wander around the dungeon in Demonform, looking for trouble. Form is regained on any kill so there is no actual cost to not use it as soon and often as possible (other than time spend casting). Even if you lose it to a spear trap or something, you are not likely to cast it after a combat starts and will propably regain it in said combat anyway.

Goals:
:blueorb: Hero's normal form should be default mode that is used to explore the dungeon, while Demonform should be preferred option when there is real danger.
:blueorb: There should be some cost to using Demonform to represent demonic bargains and struggle for the caster's soul.
:blueorb: Instead of a demon that transforms into gnome form in the middle of most difficult fights, Warlock should be a gnome who transforms into a demon at the beginning of most difficult fights.

Solution:
Casting Demonform costs 1 MP and is free action.

Optional ideas:
:blueorb: Demonform ends after any turn when the Warlock did not attack or cast a spell.
This would encourage Warlock to stay in the fight and maybe go to the next room more speedily. It might be good for theme if the demon-posessed Warlock would be rewarded for bloodlust.
:blueorb: When Demonform breaks because of damage, it could also prevent 1 BP of damage.
This is a compensation for the Mind point cost. I'm not sure if the warlock needs this buff, but it would give Demonform some more defensive value.

For my own game, I decided to tie these to an item that the Warlock can buy. I also delayed the MP cost to happen when Demonform ends, so that Warlock can make a meaningful choice whether or not to using last MP is worth it.

Clarifications:
Full text for houseruled Demonform card:
This spell may only be cast on yourself. You can make one attack immediately when you cast this spell. For the duration of the spell, roll 1 additional Attack die and ignore all pit traps. The spell ends when you suffer any Amount of damage. When the spell ends for any reason you lose 1 Mind Point. This spell is restored when you reduce a monster's Body Points to 0.

Full text of the new item:
Demon amulet:
Your Demonform spell now also ends at the end of any turn when you did not attack or cast a spell. If your Demonform spell ends because you suffer damage, this amulet prevents 1 damage done to you.
200 gold. Usable only by Warlock.

I know some people have different intepretations, and this might change how Demonform works for you, but this is how I have intepreted the original rules:
:blueorb: Wand can attack adjacent creatures in melee, since it does not specifically say otherwise.
:blueorb: Demonform allows use of wand (and any other equipment Warlock can normally use), since it does not specifically say otherwise.
:blueorb: Demonform can be regained (by killing a monster) after it is used, even if it's still on, since spell cards are discarded the moment they are cast, not when the spell ends.
:blueorb: Demonform does not stack on itself, for the same reason that using 2 shortswords does not stack.
:blueorb: Ignoring pit traps is full immunity: they are not revealed when moving into one, do not damage Warlock in Demonform and can't Warlock disarm a trap that is ignored.
:blueorb: Warlock can choose to NOT ignore pit trap(s), for various reasons:
:greenorb: to deliberately walk around and face-check traps to protect a weakened hero from surprises in chase scenarios.
:greenorb: to disarm a trap. If disarming fails, Warlock will take damage as normally since this trap was obviously not ignored.
Cheretep

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Warlock theme change (houserules)

Postby Markus Darwath » March 25th, 2024, 9:13 am

Biggest question I have is how does the warlock then regain MP? The means for doing so are pretty limited if you're not adding any new mechanic for this instance.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby Cheretep » March 25th, 2024, 9:23 am

Between missions. This change will limit the amount of transformations if not using some potions. It is a slight nerf.

The change will also be problematic if the Warlock is the talisman bearer in PoT so it's far from perfect solution. It's just the best one I got so far.
Cheretep

Postby Cheretep » April 25th, 2024, 4:41 am

Update: after starting a new campaign with a party that contains Warlock, we have come to some conclusions after 7 quests.
:blueorb: Overall the change was better but original goals were not met if the Warlock didn't take any damage.
:blueorb: Mind point cost was a bit of a drag and it was definitely not fun if the Warlock was getting hit more often.
:blueorb: It was not wise to use the amulet at all if the party can protect the warlock.

We discussed this and made following changes:
:blueorb: Demonform does not cost mind point, but breaks if Warlock does not attack or cast a spell (casting Demonform is still a free action).
:blueorb: Removed the amulet from game and refunded the gold.

Current full text of our Demonform spell:
This spell may only be cast on yourself. You can make one attack immediately when you cast this spell. For the duration of the spell, roll 1 additional Attack die and ignore all pit traps. The spell ends when you suffer any Amount of damage, or at the end of any turn when you did not attack or cast a spell. This spell is restored when you reduce a monster's Body Points to 0.

We are debating if we should re-introduce the amulet in some form. If we ever do, we have agreed that it should allow spending Mind Points and be defensive in nature but not as good as getting Bracers. Currently the most popular suggestion is to allow Warlock to choose to spend 1MP when casting demonform to charge the amulet. Amulet charge could then be spent to prevent 1BP damage when Demonform spell breaks and maybe allow spending an action to "cast a spell that does nothing" just to keep spell from breaking for 1 turn. Price would need to be adjusted, depending on where we end up with.
Cheretep

Return to Heroes