• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Character Special Abilities for the New Heroes

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Character Special Abilities for the New Heroes

Postby WiseOne » July 3rd, 2022, 4:08 pm

Hello Everyone!

So we have played the new Druid, Bard and Warlock and have created some advanced abilities for them. We now also have a more formal system for leveling up. While no gold is required there is a required number of quests to be completed.
Depending on how long the quest packs the number can be adjusted. The new system is as follows:

0 Quests - Receive any modifications to the base hero. For example alternative spell sets, equipment, etc.
7 Quests - Receive the first ability.
3 Quest Packs - Receive the second ability. Following the normal route this would be after Base, Kellar's Keep, and Return of the Witch Lord.
5 Quest Packs - Receive the third ability. Following the normal route, this would be after Base, Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, and Against the Ogre Horde.
8 Quest Packs - Receive the fourth ability.
9 Quest Packs - If using the rule for 2 Legendary Abilities such as from Phoenix, receive the final one.
100 Quests - Character at Max Level. Time to start anew!

In regards to our playtests. We found by purchasing a more classic bard figure and thinking of the character more like Bard's Tale he fit very well in the theme of the game. Many of the abilities I chose came from a Dragon Magazine Dungeon! bard which is even more of a dungeon crawl. The druid also played well and I used some of my old abilities I had used for druids and some new ones. The warlock was a challenge. We replaced the wizard and he never really fit in. Everything about him screamed he should not be with the party. We purchased a classic necromancer/warlock type figure but even still, he was out of place. I tried to give some abilities to make him a little more party friendly. I've also created some abilities for the Knight though we never played it.

Bard
Entrancement Song – Once per quest may ignore a wandering monster drawn by you or another hero in the same room
Counter Song – Resists spells on one additional number (4, 5, and 6 if 5/6) or (5 and 6 if just a 6)
Combat Song – Once per quest, until you can no longer see a monster, all heroes attack and defend with the highest number of combat dice between them
Lute Hero – If you roll two white shields on Defend Dice, gain back one of your Bard Spells. Each spell may only be gotten back once in this way per quest.

Warlock
Pentangle – Once per quest you create a magical pentangle that covers one square. Heroes may freely move through and onto the square. If any hero is attacked by a monster or damaging spell while standing on the square, the pentangle is attacked first. It defends with 6 defense dice and has 2 body points (as a Wall of Stone). Any excess skulls carry over to the hero. You may regain this spell once at the cost of a Mind Point.
Terror – Once per quest may cast the Fear spell from the Necromancer list (WOZ/WOM)
Power of the Pit - +1 Attack Die When in Demonform (2 total)
Sinister Curse – Once per quest may redirect a Chaos spell or attack from a monster at any other figure, including itself. It cannot defend.

Druid
Warp Wood – Once per quest may move one piece of furniture anywhere in the same room.
Faerie Glade – Once per quest my regain Pixie by spending one turn alone in a room
Adaptability – You may climb over furniture when moving while in Shapeshift form.
Life Guardian – Allies in line of sight may roll twice and take the better result when dodging traps or avoiding the effects of spells or reducing damage from spells.

Knight
I Got Your Back – You may use Shield Block a second time.
Inspiring Challenge – When you use Knight’s Challenge – the original treasure seeker can take another action.
In Shining Armor - +1 DD in Metal Armor
Chivalry Isn't Dead: You may use Stalwart an additional time and it restores Heroes to 2 BP instead of 1.

Enjoy your day everyone!
-WiseOne
WiseOne

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Character Special Abilities for the New Heroes

Postby Kurgan » July 3rd, 2022, 4:47 pm

Interesting stuff! Playing a lot of quests with the same group is a challenge these days, but I am always intrigued to hear ideas like this. Thanks for sharing...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Heroes