• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

new hero class: Priest

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: new hero class: Priest

Postby el_flesh » June 25th, 2010, 7:08 am

When I do use the wizard, he can be also be employed quite effectively vs goblins - taking the turns required off the other heros hands and letting them handle the bigger stuff.
Furthermore, it doesn't take long for FOUR heros to come across some wizard gear and/or throwing daggers. I think the wizard was balanced perfectly fine.

And I still just can't imagine priests fighting....
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby torilen » June 25th, 2010, 2:49 pm

tott - I still agree with you on one point (if I didn't make it clear before, here it is) - I agree that the magic
system of HQ is a bit underpowered, and as you put it, weak compared to the combat system.

Phoenix - great ideas - love the prayer thought, and then draw a card to see what you god decided to do.
Hillarious.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Tott » June 28th, 2010, 12:44 pm

thanks torilen, i was always concerned about the wizards viability in certain quests (the dark company!) the elf became pretty much a pure melee fighter and the wizard was just a joke,(9 spells over 13 dungeons!)
soooo, ive been toying with the mechanincs of it and had an idea:

Alternative Magic System

All cards remain the same (with the exception of Water of Healing, see below) however there are now 4 copies of each card.
The Wizard draws 1 set, the elf draws 1 set and the wizard takes the two remaining sets.

The wizard shuffles his 36 cards and places them face down next to him, he draws the top 9 cards for his hand.
The elf shuffles his 12 cards and places them face down next to him, he draws the top 3 cards into his hand.
After casting a spell the wizard and elf place that card at the bottom of their deck and then draw a new card.

All fire and earth spells cost 1 mind point to cast. All air and water spells restore 1 lost mind point when cast.

Water of Healing.
Should be changed to read
‘This spell may be cast on any one player. It will restore up four body points OR four mind points that have been lost. The spell is then discarded’

although, this could make it a bit too overpowered, im not sure, what do you think?
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 28th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Sounds pretty good as far as I can tell - I like the idea of using the spell cards as sort of a
spell bank - he won't know what spell will come next, but basically has an unlimited amount
of spells to cast.

This actually kind of simulates a D&D magic system, where spell casting was based on waiting
a number of turns before casting a spell again. Works very well for D&D, and would probably
work for HQ too.

Not sure what exactly you mean about the spells using Mind Points - only problem I would see
with that, if I understand it correctly - at what rate do you regain the lost Mind Points? You would
need to regain them through the game, or else you really underpower the magic system you've set
in place. I also assume that this is only temporary Mind Points - you know that, in HQ, if you lose
all your Mind Points, your body goes into shock and you fall to the ground helpless, right?

I would really go with one or the other - use the spell card bank system, or use the idea that
spells take temporary Mind Points to cast. Either way, the casters have use of spells throughout
the entire quest/game/whatever, AND there is some means of restricting their casting to some
extent so they don't appear to be gods in the world. Using both, I think, would be too much of a
restriction, though.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Tott » June 28th, 2010, 5:01 pm

casting a fire or earth spell costs a mind point BUT using an air or water spell restores a mind point, yes im aware that a character with zero mind points falls unconcious, but with half your spells restoring mind points, that shouldnt be too much of an issue. in fact, balancing the use of your spells would be an important aspect of the mage and elf's game. the game gets harder for the elf, if he chooses fire or earth, then he's reliant on the elf for water of healing. however, id imagine potions and artifacts being in the game that could restore mind points as well.
e.g
Brainbiter
1h axe, allows the use of 2 dice in attack, any damage done effects the attackers mind pool instead. every time you do damage with brainbiter, restore 1 lost mind point. cannot be used by wizard.

Mentors Dice
roll 2 combt die, every white shield rolled will restore 1 lost mind point. may be used instead of any action.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mo123813 » July 28th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Hmm, I thought about using a priest, and this is well thought out. Who makes those minis? And do you mind if I use the Priest for myself?
Check out my new character: Halfling! I promise you will consider using it!
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
Remember, if you run out of dice,
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Tott » July 29th, 2010, 7:36 am

you can get the priests here:http://www.fenryll.com/product.php?id_product=53. Fenryll does some nice stuff, they are a slightly larger scale that HQ but not drastically so. by all means use him, just let me know how it went! :D
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » July 29th, 2010, 11:42 am

58/60 D&D for me thanx!

...and that ain't no priest....
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 5th, 2018, 5:36 pm

I'm almost a decade late, but this Priest idea is pretty great! Plus Phoenix's additional equipment.

I've currently got a Paladin character who has a few turn undead type spells, so I'm not sure how well this would work without being kind of similar, but I might save it for some one-time use characters for later Quests.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby tallyho » February 10th, 2018, 9:46 am

I rely like this Priest, Miniature ordered on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401250815862
Think i remove the knife and put a scroll in his left hand

Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TakeAway
tallyho

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Heroes