• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Fool: a wildcard character

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: The Fool: a wildcard character

Postby knightkrawler » February 14th, 2016, 2:25 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:You could rule that after rolling for MP/BP, the highest die reult has to be assigned to MP.
Yea that is nice. It creates variance in the BP/MP instead of a max 1 point difference. |_P

I like this idea, too!

Can you run me through an example of it in practice?

Would it work like this?:

I roll a 1, a 6 and a 3.

I must assign the 6 to Mind Points since it is the greatest, but the remaining 1 and 3 can be assigned to Body Points, making a 4 Body Points/6 Mind Points character.

Question: If this rule is the case, do you think it's assumed the "any time your roll any number of dice" forced reroll rule would come into play during character generation, and the player could reroll the 1 if they wished?

Q2: Would the requirement of assigning the highest roll to Mind Points help offset the boon of subsequent forced rerolls?

note: in a previous draft of this character, his special ability was that once per round, the Fool could reroll any one die, even a die not belonging to him. I still like the idea, but saw how it might be hard to keep track of, since it could act as an interrupt, unless it depleted Mind Points or the like.

Re-roll only DURING a quest, not in character creation or between quests, I'd say.
If you roll a 1, a 3, and a 6, the 6 has to be assigned to the Mind point, with the rest you can do what you want.
Wanna start a game with 3 or even 1 Body point? Go ahead. 0 BP, 10 MP? OK, just be aware that you're dead before you can move or take an action even once.

Your first draft I actually like. It also wouldn't be difficult to keep track of, he just has to do it instantly before any roll effect for the other character's or monster's roll takes effect. The re-roll result has to be taken, and something, like a two-faced coin would be turned over to mark that the fool has used the Force Majeure. Of course, adjacency is a must (to not overpower this use in monster attack rolls).

I like it because it actually conveys what a fool is: someone who is supposed to entertain you, but other times just gets your balls in a tangle.
I would do it this way.

Also, you could write up a special rule for immunity against control spells. Specify which these are and specify a number of current mind points a hero needs to be immune. Then write or modify quests by giving one or any number of monsters these spells or some other ability that somehow can diminish mind points.
My Wraith, for example, takes mind instead of body points from a hero on a successful attack. That would be a way to make an immune hero (let's say 7 mind points) susceptible to control spells again.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 16th, 2016, 9:01 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
I like it because it actually conveys what a fool is: someone who is supposed to entertain you, but other times just gets your balls in a tangle.
I would do it this way.

This is partly what I was going for. Also I really like the idea of the Shakespearian fool, a person who operates outside the norm of society, and appears on the surface to be someone of minor consequence, but hold some special knowledge or ability above the main player.

The imagery of the tarot fool is especially on point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_(Tarot_card)

This is someone with great potential, but how they use it is yet to be determined. Perhaps a "jack of all trades, master of none," a drifter, a wanderer. If the Paladin and Cleric have overlapping traits, but are distinctive enough to warrant individual classes, I feel the Bard and the Fool could have an analogous relationship, too. It's because the Fool hasn't chosen a path, that's what gives him his power, albeit, that power can be quite capricious!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 20th, 2016, 12:47 am

Here's a revision taking into account the helpful comments here:

This version keeps the "reroll any one die, even one not belonging to you" effect, but with a means to keep that power in check, via Mind Points.

Also, it encourages the player to not put all of their starting roll into Body Points, if they want to make ample use of their special reroll power.

To note, the "any time" use of the reroll is powerful, but to exploit it fully, (say, if the player wished to spend 2 or more Mind Points at once) the player would have to invest more points into Mind, and be more careful throughout the Quest, since it's likely their Body Points would be starting low.

If this is still too powerful, I would revise it by limiting the reroll to his own dice, and that of his fellow Heroes, not monsters' dice roll.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » February 20th, 2016, 1:14 am

Brilliant solution, right there, methinks.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 20th, 2016, 2:59 am

I think now it's perfect. poor guy who wants to test it and rolls a triple one. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 20th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Anderas wrote:I think now it's perfect. poor guy who wants to test it and rolls a triple one. :D

knightkrawler wrote:Brilliant solution, right there, methinks.

thanks fellas! |_P |_P

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Showdown35 » February 20th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Ya I like this version much better! Seems like it would be a riot to play with. Some quests he will be your beast, and some he'll just lay back and hide.
It's like a new pair of underwear; at first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you. I have to go...

My HeroQuest Homebrew project site: http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest
Showdown35

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 21st, 2016, 3:33 am

There's one point, though...
i think the whole group should agree to use this guy.

If the owner of it rolls a 3, the quest might become super-difficult not only for him but for the entire group as they are effectively playing with one less hero;
same the other way round, if he rolls a 18, the entire quest might become easy for the entire group as they have the perfect doorblocker there.
As this is affecting the other heroes too, i think they all would have to agree.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » February 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am

Seems a bit too much like adding Jar Jar Binks to the game.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 10th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Creative submission!

I wonder what happens when the last Mind Point is thoghtlessly spent. Does the Fool tragically meet his end, wander off for no reason until the next Quest, or does the dolt instead meander half aware in shock (1 movement die, 1 AD, 2DD)? Maybe a die roll should decide.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes