• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

10 Custom Characters: Are they *mostly* balanced?

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: 10 Custom Characters: Are they *mostly* balanced?

Postby Count Mohawk » December 16th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Among other things, diagonal movement lets you neatly sidestep those obnoxious traps right in front of the doors, as well as slip in between monster formations for a cleaner shot at the bosses. I would think these two powers alone make the Monk very useful.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » December 17th, 2015, 5:38 am

I thought about letting everything move diagonally at a cost of 1.5 movement. The reachable range would make a lot more sense. In heroquest it creates a diamond shape, in space crusade (that allows diagonal movement) it creates a square. If you can move diagonally at a cost of 1.5 it creates a circle.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 17th, 2015, 7:57 am

Now you have the digital movement discussion like elsewhere the diagonal line of sight discussion.

Can you move diagonally between two fields occupied by monsters? Or one field by wall and the other field by a Monster?

Sorry!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » December 17th, 2015, 10:44 am

I have diagonal movement in my version as a racial feature of an Elf. He/she can step into any adjacent square that they have normal line-of-sight to, which in my version does include diagonally between two creatures/objects.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 17th, 2015, 11:30 am

cornixt wrote:I have diagonal movement in my version as a racial feature of an Elf. He/she can step into any adjacent square that they have normal line-of-sight to, which in my version does include diagonally between two creatures/objects.

I would rule it like this too for the monk. As far as that squeezing between objects, flavor-wise, the player can just imagine their monk character using acrobatics to flip over or sliding between the obstacles or monsters.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 30th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Updated the Barbarian, the Ranger, and the Wizard with some unique abilities, hoping for a *mostly* balanced feel here too:

I thought this skill for the Barbarian would be more useful and strategic fun for the player to use, more so than just a static bonus to attack, etc.:

This one for the Ranger is an improvement on a new thrown weapon recovery action. See the actions below for clarification.

The Wizard's ability is the most unique, but I thought it would be a nice tactical/utility infinite-use spell that could be relied on even when the wizard has exhausted all the rest.

Also, here are the updated actions to include a general rule for recovering lost thrown weapons, which can be done when no monsters are in sight, making the ranger's skill useful:

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Dougy Destroyer » December 31st, 2015, 3:15 am

Great characters, diversity and a lot of good ideas.

Can the Monk use a shield and therefore increase his attack?

How does the attack and defense rotation work with the fighter's ability to dual wield? Does he attack twice (combing his total from both weapons) and then the monster defends or does the monster get to defend against each weapon?
Dougy Destroyer

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 31st, 2015, 11:35 am

Dougy Destroyer wrote:Great characters, diversity and a lot of good ideas.

Thanks Doug!

Dougy Destroyer wrote:Can the Monk use a shield and therefore increase his attack?

He has wizard restrictions on armor, so he cannot equip a shield, but there is a headband and a cloak he can purchase that will up his attack to 4 dice.

Dougy Destroyer wrote:How does the attack and defense rotation work with the fighter's ability to dual wield? Does he attack twice (combing his total from both weapons) and then the monster defends or does the monster get to defend against each weapon?

The fighter would attack once, the monster defends, and then the fighter would attack again, and the monster defends. I have an auto-retaliation mechanic for when a figure is attacked, and only after both attacks and defenses could the monster retaliate (that is, if they survive!)

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Heroes