• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Named Characters - The Goblin Shop

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Named Characters - The Goblin Shop

Postby torilen » May 28th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Look, I wasn't trying to upset anyone, really.
Quite honestly, I was tempted to have the comments turned off
after Goblin-Kings comment...and that was nothing offensive or
scary at all.

It's become one of my hot buttons lately, though. I follow several
of my favorite authors on Twitter...and most of them are quite political
in their posts. One guy...you cannot even comment on something, making
a mere joke referencing his own writing, without someone coming back
and trying to make it as if you were making some sort of statement.

And don't even get started on the social justice warriors out there trying
to turn the gaming community into their own battlefield. It's just ridiculous
how everybody seems to want to turn everything into a statement of some
sort these days. Everyone has a purpose and something they stand for, and
heaven forbid if you accidentally write the wrong thing...you get skewered
for sure.

I don't make statements...I make crap up and write it down. To be honest,
I probably write stuff that is offensive to a lot of people these days...sexist,
racist, what have you...I write stuff that might seem like I am making a
statement. I'm not. I come up with an idea and I run with it. I have no agendas,
no statements, no goals in what I want readers to think.

So...I apologize, knightcrawler and j_dean80, if I come off as touchy and
hotheaded about it. j_dean80 - you are correct, of course, it is part of the
beauty of the forum...and folks here are great. I've seen a few threads descend
into complete chaos and anarchy, though.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Apology accepted??

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » May 28th, 2018, 6:31 pm

I hope things are smoothed over. I just lost my soapbox post to the abyss of Internet-connection loss. The short of it is:

I back knightkrawler's original post as supportive.Good characterizations sometimes provide player insight, another good thing.

I said it years ago and this necromanced thread bears it out--Torelin has got some great characterizations.

Though the thread bore unintended responses, role-playing can do that. Torelin's writing stands well on its own, regardless of the perceived notions regarding the title of this topic.

We don't have to always agree, but we do need to respect each other to stay a community. And now for a cheap gesture . . .

|_P |_P |_P |_P |_P |_P |_P |_P |_P |_P
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » May 28th, 2018, 7:00 pm

I just thought it to be ironically funny. The Goblin doesn't like it to be called The Goblin Shop yet that's what the creator called the post.

Goblins aren't even real. Nothing to be read into it. Just a simple observation.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 29th, 2018, 12:23 am

I accept that apology. |_P
Never underestimate my own hatred of political correctness and trying to silence free speech.
Do you know what we don't have in Germany? Free speech.

I wrote a quest pack with the underlying theme of let's call it fourth wave feminism gone out of hand, Eternal Kingdom.
I hate people crying "hate speech" at criticism towards them, however harsh it is.
I hate people crying "I'm offended" at jokes or even serious comments.
It's words.

I think the title The Goblin Shop is the utmost creative title for the themes and the character in place EVEN THOUGH but also BECAUSE Tenewick doesn't wanna have his store called that way, although it might not look creative. This is fantasy and literature. If anyone cringes "Oooooh, someone might be offended by the racism in the title", then they are out of place with their own identity politics in their own heads and need to go away from the reading of creative writing and take to the streets to call Caitlin Jenner a hero or something.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » May 29th, 2018, 9:50 am

I hate people complaining about it when it hasn't even happened. It's a pre-emptive attack to shut down any argument, writing off any complaints as being from someone not worth listening to.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 29th, 2018, 10:57 am

cornixt wrote:I hate people complaining about it when it hasn't even happened. It's a pre-emptive attack to shut down any argument, writing off any complaints as being from someone not worth listening to.

If you're in any disadvantaged group, you get very sensible over time.
However, this is a goblin. Born to be pushed around.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 29th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Shouldn't it be called the Goblin's shop. The shop owned by a Goblin. The Goblin shop makes it sound like they sell goblins. I'l take two please. Can you bag them up for me. OUT!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 29th, 2018, 2:05 pm

The Admiral wrote:The Goblin shop makes it sound like they sell goblins. I'l take two please. Can you bag them up for me. OUT!

"Well, do you have a Goblin bag with you?"
"Which kind? The one that holds Goblins or the one that was made by one or more Goblins?"
"... well, hand me that rucksack. That's gonna be 50 moneys!"
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » May 29th, 2018, 4:19 pm

A shop selling goblins? And you all think I'm messed up... :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » September 9th, 2018, 9:18 am

I think it is a brilliant addition to the game, and wonderfully characterful. Of COURSE as a goblin, Tenewick wants to escape from the stereotypes and assumptions that his average customer, an adventurer, is going to make about him and his shop. And of COURSE everyone would just call it the Goblin Shop, because it's a simple shorthand that is an exact descriptor. I can imagine his nervous sweating as he tries to figure out how to gently correct a customer without offending them to the point of losing a sale, haha. And isn't that what a good quest prompt should do? Stoke the imagination?

Sorry to hear that you've had some bad experiences in the past with the PC police, torilen. All I can say is that your work on HeroQuest background has been consistently inspirational to me, and that if I ever write my HeroQuest novel, I'll credit your work as being foundational to my own!

I love this site! :)
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes