• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Should there be other races?

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Should there be other races?

Postby Templar » June 3rd, 2012, 3:39 am

I feel that the simplicity of the game is the most important thing. On the other hand I love to have lots of choices for all players. Thats why, when I for some reason made all of my new heroes human, wanted to create even more heroes...to include more non-humans, as it were.

I also think they should be only from the warhammer universe. My heroes goes like this:
Human Males: Barbarian, Wizard, Knight, Druid.
Human Females: Assassin, Temple Guard.
Dwarves: Dwarf (I guess "treasure hunter" or something...), Runesmith
Elves: Elf (again no class...I would go with "battlemage"), Priest
Lizardman Saurus: Gladiator
Halfling: Ranger
Big Bene wrote: A fantasy story that is not set in middle earth but includes halflings shows a distinct lack of orginality, at least in the choose of it's races, and more often than not, you find the same lacking in plot and style.
There are several perfectly "classic" fantasy books without halflings, and of the true classics, meaning the books from which the modern fantasy genre developed, namely Conan the Barbarian, The Lord of the Rings, and Elric of Melnibone, only the Lord of the Rings has halflings, and this was the book (well, actually the sequel of the book) that introduced them for the first time (same with orcs, by the way).

I agree with you here. But the Halflings are a part of the warhammer world, and they were the only "good" race left I could think of... and I did't want to repeat anyone I allready had. What ya gonna do :P
Daedalus wrote:Just one request...please, no Dragonborn Warriors in Hero Quest. I wanna fight lizards :fimir: , not join them!
Actually, a thought has just reoccured to me. Has anyone ever tried or heard about a reverse-dungeon type of Quest or Quest series? I'm thinking a party of Orcs and Goblins (maybe even a Fimir) going on a raid or something of that sort. A Goblin Sneak, Goblin Witch-doctor, Orc Warrior and Orc Shaman could be lots of fun, I think.

I hope a Saurus Gladiator would be ok for you to play, even though he's a Lizard. :D
I completely agree with the Dragonborns, though...
Last edited by Templar on June 3rd, 2012, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » June 3rd, 2012, 4:27 am

Templar wrote:But the Halflings are a part of the warhammer world, and they were the only "good" race left I could think of... and I did't want to repeat anyone I allready had. What ya gonna do :P

Found a couple:

Technically ogres also fight for the Empire, soo... Ogre hero? I don't think so Tim!

Wood Elves also have dryads, which can appear as Elves, so I guess that's a little boring too.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » June 5th, 2012, 4:39 am

Goblin-King wrote:Found a couple:

Technically ogres also fight for the Empire, soo... Ogre hero? I don't think so Tim!

Wood Elves also have dryads, which can appear as Elves, so I guess that's a little boring too.

Not boring per se, just a litle unfitting for the classes I'm envisioning. I did however first have a Ogre: Mercenary instead of a Saurus: Gladiator as a third warrior class, but I think a saurus is both more in line with the other heroes and needs less work to balance.

Maybe an individual from the "evil" forces has become an outcast and are convinced to work for the other side? Perhaps for sake of revenge? Maybe a Skaven: Ranger/Scout would work...I also thought about including a Tomb Prince: (insert class here), since they are at least neutral, but I imagine there to be a lot of issues to make it thematically sound.

Perhaps I should just give upp and accept the Halfling: Ranger...
...but maybe a Skink: Hunter would work :P
Man, you have got me started again now. DAMN YOU GOBLIN-KING! :D
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 5th, 2012, 7:05 am

I'm all for more races from the various fantasy worlds.
Certainly halflings. Perhaps lizardmen too. Giants, Cat-people, Merfolk (amphibious obviously), frog-people, centaurs, Satirs, etc. throw em all in there, as heroes or enemies. The more the merrier :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » July 15th, 2012, 9:48 am

I think finding a good motive for the non-human races to fight alongside the humans would be important (at least the more unusual ones like Lizardmen).

Just thinking about the Warhammer world for starters, one idea might be to look at Warhammer Quest (the later Games Workshop 'evolution' of HeroQuest). They had quite a few player characters in expansions and so on. Mostly humans, but there was a Chaos Warrior as I recall. (I think his stats were randomly decided each game... very Chaotic!)

Another could be to look at the old Regiments of Renown from the Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War supplement. There were all kinds of odd characters with interesting backstories in there, and in the extra regiments published in White Dwarf, including a band of Lizardmen wandering all over the place in search of their ancestors' stolen treasures, a group of Halfling Archers with a leader by the name of Lumpin Croop, a bunch of Hobgoblins from across the mountains ("you payz, we slayz!")... even a pair of Giants from the misty isle of Albion who liked to throw rocks at people ("BOLOGS!!!"). All with motives to fight alongside humans--usually for pay of course.

I love the idea of 'reverse HeroQuest', with a band of evil adventurers taking on a fortress full of Men-At-Arms (or whatever). Reminds me of that old Dungeon Keeper game... :mrgreen:

Oh, and regarding Tolkien and halflings: *steps up on soapbox, clears throat*

It's always bugged me that halflings show up in so many fantasy settings (D&D, Warhammer, etc). It's as if the creators think "ooh, hobbits were in Lord of the Rings and that's really popular, therefore people must want to read about / play as short furry-footed people, we'd better include them!" It's understandable in game settings, but less so for stories.

I think hobbits worked in the Lord of the Rings not because of what they were, but what they represented. Firstly, because they were short, they were a bit like children (and The Hobbit was written for children). Also, they were deliberate anachronisms. They were like early-twentieth-century British people--they even had a postal service! :lol: This allowed them to go on adventures into the wider world and experience it as one of Tolkein's readers might. They thought and acted differently to all the heroic-fantasy characters they met. That's why they were interesting. But the writers who came afterwards just took the 'look' of halflings and not the meaning of halflings, if you see what I mean.

Same with elves / dwarves / etc. (Although I like the Eldar in Warhammer 40,000 - basically elves in space - because they don't seem to be based on Tolkein's elves, but rather on old-school traditional elves, the Sidhe or Fair Folk, beautiful and wise but amoral and capricious. Much more interesting, in my opinion.)

OK, switching rant off now... ahem... :|
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 15th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Zenithfleet wrote:The writers who came afterwards just took the 'look' of halflings and not the meaning of halflings, if you see what I mean.

You're so right about that.

I'm trying to incorporate many races and monsters from different settings, but to give them a backstory that seems interesting to me, not just one from the setting I borrow them from.
Even the races' names I change, at least some day I will.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 15th, 2012, 4:23 pm

to me, halflings will always be like hobbits. complete with meaning.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm

I am never one to be stuck in tradition or mired by conventional wisdom.

Halflings, Hobbits, Hillmen, the little people in Willow, they are cool. Tolkien doesn't get to keep them for himself, besides he is dead anyways.

Little folks who abhore adventure but get sucked into them regardless of their desires to stay home, make for awesome hero characters. Besides folks route for the underdog, so halflings are perfect for the job.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » July 15th, 2012, 10:38 pm

cynthialee wrote:I am never one to be stuck in tradition or mired by conventional wisdom.

Halflings, Hobbits, Hillmen, the little people in Willow, they are cool. Tolkien doesn't get to keep them for himself, besides he is dead anyways.

Little folks who abhore adventure but get sucked into them regardless of their desires to stay home, make for awesome hero characters. Besides folks route for the underdog, so halflings are perfect for the job.

Oh yeah... Willow... :?

Saw it only once a looong time ago, so may be remembering it wrong... but I felt like the little folk only existed in that movie because the filmmakers thought "obviously we have to start with a race of short people to be our heroes, because that's what Tolkein did."

If they'd thought "let's have little folks be our heroes because that makes them vulnerable underdogs", that would be reasonable, as you say. I just don't think they thought about it that much.

...Though there was a bit of prejudice and discrimination towards them at least, now that I think about it. (Wasn't there some insult-word the guy from the gallows kept throwing at them?)
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ken » July 16th, 2012, 2:34 am

Daedalus wrote:Just one request...please, no Dragonborn Warriors in Hero Quest. I wanna fight lizards :fimir: , not join them!

Actually, a thought has just reoccured to me. Has anyone ever tried or heard about a reverse-dungeon type of Quest or Quest series? I'm thinking a party of Orcs and Goblins (maybe even a Fimir) going on a raid or something of that sort. A Goblin Sneak, Goblin Witch-doctor, Orc Warrior and Orc Shaman could be lots of fun, I think.

We played a Quest many years ago, where the Spirit Blade had been stolen by Undead, one player handled the four Heroes, another a group of greenskins? (what a terrible word). Both parties searching through the dungeon, fighting the undead along the way, until a glorious finale' when they all met up to fight for the 'Blade. Trouble was, the Orcs & Firmirs got to the 'Blade first, and got away with it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes