• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Makeplayingcards.com - Best Settings

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Makeplayingcards.com - Best Settings

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » November 10th, 2021, 7:21 pm

If I wanted to make cards to add to the 2021 edition of HeroQuest, what card stock / print type / finish I should choose on makeplayingcards.com?

The objective is for the cards I add to blend in with the existing ones as closely as possible.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Makeplayingcards.com - Best Settings

Postby iKarith » November 10th, 2021, 11:36 pm

Thus far they sound like the same size as MTG cards: Poker size. I'm not sure how to measure the corner round and I don't have them to measure.

If the cards that you generally want to make fit a particular common style, I suggest making them in layers: A background at the appropriate resolution (with a bleed), in a template with snap guides for inserting artwork and text in the appropriate places. If things like the monster cards share the same background, you might either make a copy of the template background before adding snap guides or whatever seems appropriate to you.

A background image in, say, png format might also be useful along with notes about the size and position of boxes (basically a tool-independent template that might be used by sayyyy php function that can generate a png file of a card given a background image, an art image, and a couple text screens.

Why would I be thinking about a php function that can generate a 300 DPI png file of a particular card given the background, some metrics, and a couple arbitrary utf8 text strings in any language you feed it? … no reason in particular. :mrgreen:
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 10th, 2021, 11:46 pm

For the classic cards I used US Game Deck Size which is just 1 mm shorter on top (thus if you scale the graphics the same a tiny portion will be cut off on the top) and I like superior smooth even if they are smoother than the originals (the originals are probably the most basic smoothness offered). For these I would agree, Poker Size and LINEN finish (not the fanciest linen though, these are pretty light).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » November 10th, 2021, 11:46 pm

ah hello. Yea I knew they were Poker size, and I think I've got the image making thing down; I'm trying to decide on Card Stock, Print Type, and Finish. One suggestion I got was to go for a premium card stock and a gloss or semi-gloss finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » November 10th, 2021, 11:49 pm

Kurgan wrote:For the classic cards I used US Game Deck Size which is just 1 mm shorter on top (thus if you scale the graphics the same a tiny portion will be cut off on the top) and I like superior smooth even if they are smoother than the originals (the originals are probably the most basic smoothness offered). For these I would agree, Poker Size and LINEN finish (not the fanciest linen though, these are pretty light).

Ey!

I'm currently thinking Poker Size, Superior Smooth stock, Full color Print, and Gloss Finish. Think that'd work? I think its new Treasure Deck, Equipment, and Monster cards where its most important to match up to the officials.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » December 5th, 2021, 7:50 am

Now that the AH game is out and actual cards are available for comparison, I imagine an update for card finish (and size?) is in order.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 5th, 2021, 9:13 am

If you're trying to match rather than exceed quality... the type of linen finish used by MPC seems different from what AH used. Gloss is like shiny, leave finger prints (but easily wipe off) type cards (recommended for games handled by children for example). BETA finish they say is designed more for "cardistry" (magic tricks, etc) and may be too slippery for playing... especially a game like HQ where you are mostly just keeping your cards on the table as opposed to flashing them around in your hands.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Cards