• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Treasure Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Treasure Deck

Postby arntisdale » July 11th, 2020, 12:54 am

Following up my expanded equipment deck, which you can check out here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1guVY39LWgeAHah2c9HrYOpNDGUES04oK?usp=sharing

I've created the treasure deck to match. Very little of this is new, but I've cleaned up some of the art, and re-formatted it to match NA-style with just a few changes.
Here's my overview:
Total card count is 54 cards.
14 Gold Cards of various types ranging from 10 to 300, generally exponential curve to the gold values on the cards. Flavor text on all.
9 Hazards, some classic, some not. Two have art that I found on the internet, but fit the HQ card style extremely well. I figure I'm not selling anything, so I should be safe.
13 Wandering Monsters, one of which is a double monster.
5 Special - just had to include some gems I found here at the Inn.
10 Draw a random potion card - each one with unique potion art and some flavor text - still need to make the potion deck.
3 Draw random scroll cards - same art for all 3, added flavor text - still need to make scroll deck.
So... here it is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1j3n8TviGGeYDzDdCp_eMn19GMuknYzMk?usp=sharing
Let me know if you catch anything that needs fixing, or have any other constructive feedback that I can use to improve.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Treasure Deck

Postby Gold Bearer » July 12th, 2020, 1:38 pm

arntisdale wrote:13 Wandering Monsters, one of which is a double monster.
Some of the official (and presumably home brew aswell) quests have multiple wandering monsters already listed, Wizards Of Morcar for example. I think one quest has three chaos wariors, so that would be SIX chaos warriors! :shock:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby arntisdale » July 12th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
arntisdale wrote:13 Wandering Monsters, one of which is a double monster.
Some of the official (and presumably home brew aswell) quests have multiple wandering monsters already listed, Wizards Of Morcar for example. I think one quest has three chaos wariors, so that would be SIX chaos warriors! :shock:

Six chaos warriors? I love it!
It is only one card out of the whole deck, but they'll have to think twice before deciding whether or not they want to search for treasure!

Right now I think my favorites are Rat Swarm and Chest of Snakes. I stumbled across the art somewhere, but it looks like it was made for a HQ card. It might've been for all I know... possibly created by one of our Inn patrons! I just don't know.

I think this deck is considerably more dangerous than the standard deck, but it also has the possibility to kick out more potions and gold than the average deck. And the Dazzling Gem, which I got here at the Inn (and modded a bit) is worth a whopping 600 gold, if the heroes can escape with it!
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby slev » July 12th, 2020, 1:55 pm

I'll mention that some players, especially experienced players, become risk averse. If there's too much risk, they won't care how good the rewards are.

However, if the risk is acceptable, they will not be too fussed at the rewards being poor.

The less they search, the less healing they'll find and the harder the quest becomes, so getting the right balance is tricky!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » July 14th, 2020, 7:40 am

Why you don't try to make some differences with some cards? I've seen you have different artworks for the same card, for example Wandering Monster or Potion. If there are no differences beetween them you could use the same art but since they are different you could make their effects different and more interesting too. In particulare there are a ghost and a wolf in your wandering monsters, why not to try something different?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby arntisdale » July 14th, 2020, 1:07 pm

My original intent was to vary the art while sticking to the classic HQ wandering monster mechanic. What I don't want to do is throw in non-HQ monsters (which I probably don't have, my mini collection isn't expansive) as a single random encounter. I definitely want to stick with the scripted quest monster however...
It would be possible to throw in little tweaks on the monster stats or behavior.
Ghost monster: first attack passes right through, no MP, one less HP than the standard (1 min of course)
wolf could be were-version (werewolf chaos warrior anyone?): perhaps add to attack or move

It sounds cool, but at the same time I don't want to sacrafice the beautiful simplicity the HQ has at its core.

As far as varying the potions, they'll be random draws, the difference is purely flavor text + art. One thing I went for was added the self identifying 'taste test' so drinking a bit of poison would make sense, as it is the only potion card anyone ever tastes up front under the original system.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm

For the ghost you could have an ethereal version of whatever the wandering monster is, can only be harmed by magic, or holy water. Maybe it gets one more attack after its intitial one before sodding off because if they don't have magic that would be a problem.

For the warewolf you could use the existing warewolf rules from Mage Of The Mirror but apply it to the wandering monster.

Just an idea. Variety = good. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby arntisdale » June 21st, 2021, 10:06 pm

arntisdale

Gargoyle