• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Treasure Deck Ideas

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Treasure Deck Ideas

Postby Phoenix » October 8th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Okay, so I'm about ready to reprint all of my cards. I got to thinking about the Treasure Deck. As of right now, I have two decks that I keep separate. One US deck and one UK deck. I swap out the decks for each Quest. I find the player's getting excited when it is time for the UK deck (as it has more treasure). I was always unsure about combining the decks (I felt that it would be way too much treasure).

There are a few new cards I plan on adding Hazards/treasure/etc. However, I still don't want to over-load the deck with either beneficial or hazardous items.

So, here's my new idea. I'm going to attach a number to each card (1-6) with equal distribution. At the beginning of each Quest, I will secretly roll 1d6 and remove all cards with that number. Thereby making it (in my opinion) the perfect deck. The player's will get to be suprised and perhaps hesitant to search for tresure. I've also thought about having a secondary set of cards. Sort of a "special treasure" deck. A couple of extra special cards (armor/weapon/magic/scrolls, etc) with a random die roll from time to time, to spice things up.

Any suggestions/comments?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Treasure Deck Ideas

Postby zep » October 10th, 2008, 2:15 am

Interesting...I say lets give it a trial run next game. Sounds like a cool idea.
Rosemary baby, I got the thyme
zep

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » October 10th, 2008, 10:29 pm

I'd like to know the results of that trial run. It sounds like it could add a cool twist to the game.

What I've been doing lately is using the North American treasure deck for the game system, and since the WoM, Elf and Barbarian packs add new treasure cards, I decided to take the unique treasure cards from the European deck and split them between KK, RotWL and AtOH (adding a trap or Wandering Monster to keep the deck balanced). That way the Heroes start seeing some new additions in the early expansions which keep them searching for treasure often. The Holy Water is a great card to add into the RotWL (I just reworded the card to say 'regular' skeleton, zombie or mummy).

Hmmm, perhaps I should start adding special treasure cards to my quest packs...

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Phoenix » October 14th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Ok, this is what I've come up with, so far..........

I would enjoy feedback (positive or negative)

Card Count

Keep in mind that the "Good / Bad" Ratio for the US Deck is "58% / 42%" and for the UK Deck is "67% / 33%"

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:

Postby Phoenix » October 14th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Oh, and here are the standard cards I plan on adding....

Small Gem
Hidden among some rags is a small precious gem. Roll 1d6 times 5 to determine it’s worth. Do not return this card to the deck.

Gem!
Hidden inside an old discarded shoe is a precious gem. Roll 1d6 times 10 to determine its worth. Do not return this card to the deck.

Sapphire!
Wrapped in an old leather pouch is a large sapphire. Roll 1d6 times 20 to determine it’s worth. Do not return this card to the deck.

Danger!
While searching for treasure, you accidentally dislodge a portion of the ceiling. You take 2 Body Points of damage from the falling debris. This can be reduced to 1 Body Point if you are wearing a helmet. Return this card to the bottom of the deck.

Spirit Darts
Behind a loose stone in the wall, you discover 2 Spirit Darts. These require the Blow Gun to use. Don’t forget to add these to your character sheet. Do not return this card to the deck.

Magical Throwing Dagger
Hidden among some rat droppings is a Magical Throwing Dagger! Add this weapon to your character sheet. Do not return this card to the deck.

Ambush!
Entranced by your greed, you fail to notice 2 Wandering Monsters surround you. Zargon will place 2 of the listed Wandering Monsters adjacent to your Hero. Return this card to the deck.

Slip & Fall
In your haste to search for treasure, you slip on some loose gravel and hit your head. This will cause 1 Body Point of damage if you are not wearing a helmet. Being dazed and confused, you will also miss your next turn (and will defend with 2 fewer Defend Dice).

Spell Scroll
Amongst some discarded papers, you find a Spell Scroll! Zargon will shuffle the Spell Scrolls and you may draw 1 random Spell Scroll to add to your inventory. Add this scroll to your character sheet. Do not return this card to the deck.

Refreshing Mead
You find a flagon of refreshing mead. You find yourself immensely thirsty and enjoy quaff the whole thing. When drinking this refreshing mead, your physical and mental worries just seem to melt away. The Hero gains 1 Body Point and loses 1 Mind Point. If a Hero drinks another one (this Quest) he gains another Body Point, but loses 2 Mind Points, and so on... Return this card to the deck.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » October 14th, 2008, 11:56 pm

I like how you've kept the balance pretty close to the standard deck with a chance of a little more good or a little more hazard. No matter how you cut it, that's a big deck of cards! I think it looks well thought out. How's the ratio of gold/potions/monsters/hazards compare?

I really like the list of new cards you've come up with. I do have a question about ambush though. How does that work with quests where the wandering monster is say... 3 Chaos Warriors, or 2 Yeti? Does that mean there'll be 6 Chaos Warriors, or 4 Yeti? Which brings be to an unrelated question. What if a Hero is locked in a Yeti hug, and gets attacked by another Yeti and locked into another hug? Are they double hugged?

Back on topic, this treasure idea of yours is panning out really well. I'm looking forward to the final results and some of those cards in printable form.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Phoenix » October 15th, 2008, 12:08 am

drathe wrote:I like how you've kept the balance pretty close to the standard deck with a chance of a little more good or a little more hazard. No matter how you cut it, that's a big deck of cards! I think it looks well thought out. How's the ratio of gold/potions/monsters/hazards compare?

Well, if you look at it, you'll see how it compares... Unless you're talking raw numbers (i.e. damage, gold amount, etc.)

his most bastiferous wrote:I really like the list of new cards you've come up with. I do have a question about ambush though. How does that work with quests where the wandering monster is say... 3 Chaos Warriors, or 2 Yeti? Does that mean there'll be 6 Chaos Warriors, or 4 Yeti?

Well, it basically just doubles the amount of Wandering Monster(s) listed for that particular Quest. But each Zargon may do as he/she pleases.

mon ami administrator wrote:Which brings be to an unrelated question. What if a Hero is locked in a Yeti hug, and gets attacked by another Yeti and locked into another hug? Are they double hugged?

Well, unless they're having an orgy, only one hug at a time. I would surmise that it would simply do damage in the event of a successful attack on a 'hugged' character.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » October 15th, 2008, 12:29 am

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney wrote:Well, unless they're having an orgy, only one hug at a time.

That's something I'd expect to read on Old El Scratch's... I burst out laughing! :lol:

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Phoenix » October 15th, 2008, 12:43 am

Prometheus, god of Fire wrote:Well, if you look at it, you'll see how it compares... Unless you're talking raw numbers (i.e. damage, gold amount, etc.)

A Group
Gold= 120-170
Trap Damage= 1
Item Count= 2
Potion Count= 1
Wandering Monsters= 2

B Group
Gold= 160-185
Trap Damage= 1
Item Count= 0
Potion Count= 2
Wandering Monsters= 4

C Group
Gold= 90-140
Trap Damage= 2
Item Count= 0
Potion Count= 2
Wandering Monsters= 4

D Group
Gold= 105-205
Trap Damage= 2
Item Count= 0
Potion Count= 3
Wandering Monsters= 2

E Group
Gold= 40
Trap Damage= 3
Item Count= 0
Potion Count= 3
Wandering Monsters= 2

F Group
Gold= 140
Trap Damage= 1
Item Count= 1
Potion Count= 2
Wandering Monsters= 2

Original US Group
Gold= 250
Trap Damage= 4
Item Count= 0
Potion Count= 6
Wandering Monsters= 6

Original UK Group
Gold= 340-390
Trap Damage= 3
Item Count= 0
Potion Count= 6
Wandering Monsters= 4

==========

This is just to give a rough idea of the breakdown. Now that I've been staring at if for an hour; I might just have to roll 2d6 and take out two sets of cards. That would leave a minimum of 44 cards in the deck (making it truly random) and if I should roll the same number twice, well, better for the heroes as I can only take one set out once (i.e. roll two 4's, I can only remove the #4's once) and there will be no re-roll.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:

Postby Phoenix » October 15th, 2008, 4:32 pm

and here's a preview of what i've got so far...

Treasure Card Preview

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards