• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Character boards as Cards

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Character boards as Cards

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 25th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Since I'm making custom cards for equipment, spells, etc., I thought it would be easier to include custom characters cards in this similar format.

This saves room on the table, room in your storage box, and also the lack of a picture allows the player to assume their own identity as each Hero.

Image


Image


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby QorDaq » July 26th, 2015, 8:26 am

Good call. It also gives players the option, by drawing a card, of selecting random characters to play if they so desire. Especially if you have a lot of the expanded universe (Fan created) classes in the mix.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
User avatar
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 616
Joined: March 4th, 2014, 6:09 am
Location: U.S.
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby cornixt » July 27th, 2015, 10:04 am

I don't know why more people haven't done that. I guess they like to match the originals. I like it.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 27th, 2015, 11:00 am

Thanks cornixt, thanks QorDaq! |_P |_P

I have some more Hero cards like this for custom character classes and I will share them here too when I get to my home computer.

I've taken a page from Heroquest Prime, and removed any race-specific titles from the characters, now Dwarf = Rogue, Elf = Ranger, so the players are free to choose their character's race, gender, etc.

For sake of simplicity, it has no in-game effect, however, if they wish to use their character's race/gender as part of the storytelling or roleplaying, they are more than welcome to do so. It is encouraged :D


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby cornixt » July 27th, 2015, 2:28 pm

That's what I did too, although I went even more extreme and replaced all of the weapons and armour with fighting skills so that any vaguely suitable model would work - gets rid of the weirdness of an armoured barbarian with an axe being represented by a near-naked man with a sword.

On a similar aspect, I'd make it clear that the attack/defend dice on the card represents their unarmed values, since any equipment will alter it.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 27th, 2015, 2:39 pm

cornixt wrote: On a similar aspect, I'd make it clear that the attack/defend dice on the card represents their unarmed values, since any equipment will alter it.


This is a good idea! Even my players who have played several games will forget this.

How did you word it, and where did you place it on the card?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby The Road Warrior » July 27th, 2015, 3:29 pm

I like these. I've been planning on doing something similar for quite a long time, but using them as a card sleeve. That way, between sessions each player could gather up their cards and keep them safe in their hero card sleeve ready for the next session. Not really relevant to NA players that don't have equipment cards, but an idea you may be interested in.

Of course if you HQ with more than one group then it's a bit of a crap idea.
Image
Join in the community project.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 639
Joined: November 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby slev » August 14th, 2015, 7:02 am

Already doing it, I'm using double sized "tarot" sized cards for this (3.5"x5").

My HQR have the stats on one side, and the flavour on the back. The advanced versions have novice stats on one side and Champion stats on the other.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby StratosVX » August 14th, 2015, 9:53 am

I think this is a great idea. Do you by any chance have a template file that you'd be willing to share?


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Character boards as Cards

Postby GimmeYerGold » August 14th, 2015, 10:39 am

StratosVX wrote:I think this is a great idea. Do you by any chance have a template file that you'd be willing to share?


Thank you! yes! Let me get to my computer and I'll upload them as Photoshop layer Templates



UPDATE: Here's a link to the 10 custom cards I put together, plus the template: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zGYN ... sp=sharing


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Cards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest