Big Bene wrote:I like the design. If I like the approach, I still have to decide.
Seems a bit flawed at first glance to me. I'll put my problems here, not to discourage you or put down your work, but for you to explain. IN fact, I would rather prefer to stand corrected, as I like the looks of it and would like it to work.
My problem is that the system seems to add nothing to actual gameplay. Other than the settlement sequence of Warhammer Quest, which is sort of a mini-game in it's own right, here you just threw a card. I'm all for simplicity, and if you could add some between-quests effects by one card thraw, it would be a good thing. But then, to make it interesting, it would have to make an effect on the main game that is different from what the heroes could archive in the dungeons. The result mostly just adds some money into the "real" game without effort on the players' side, wich only serves to bring it faster to the point where developement comes to a halt.
So I would either elaborate the settlement game, or put more diversity into the cards.
These are excellent critiques Big Bene, thanks for offering them up! I agree with you, that adding something that adds nothing is excessive, and bogs down gameplay. I would rather not include the deck if it truly adds nothing.
My initial goals with the settlement deck were thus:
1) to create a gold sink for the heroes to diminish the rate at which they accumulate large sums of gold. Gold loss hazards, the gambling games, and the opportunity to purchase quest treasures for variable prices attempted to address this.
2) I did not want to create anything extra for heroes to keep track of other than what already exists in-game. Any lasting effects I considered that existed outside of items proved difficult to note or keep track of, or at least didn't fit the "simple" goal i was going for.
3) I was on the fence about adding new items via the settlement deck, as the content of the custom treasure deck and custom equipment deck are ample to fill up a character sheet.
Considering your points, I think I could do a few things:
A) go back and addressed #2 above. I could do something simple, maybe a mystery potion purchase that could be good, worthless, or poison. Also an effect like the hero starts the quest with one less mind point or one less body point. That could be 2 different cards. 2 perk cards, could be that they could even start with one extra perhaps, but it's a temporary extra that cannot be recovered with spells or potions. Something that's not too complicated, that could be easily noted on the character sheet.
B) Reevaluate the loss-to-gain ratio of the gold in the settlement deck. If the settlement deck is to meet the goal of #1 above, being a true gold sink, then the loss should be slightly higher than the gain for the heroes.