• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New shield idea

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: New shield idea

Postby drathe » June 7th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Sjeng wrote:I think it's good the way it is now.

:orc: attacks :barbarian: and rolls :skull: :whiteshield:

:barbarian: defends with :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

:barbarian: may roll 1 die to counter attack with his pointy shield, and rolls :skull:

:orc: dies.

The thing is: the chance of rolling more :whiteshield: than needed is pretty low. After that, you only have a 50% chance of rolling a :skull: for each die you may roll. So that's half of a low chance. I think that's mild enough for a bonus to the shield. And 500g is a good price for that. You might want to change the roll for the pointy shield counter attack from :skull: to :whiteshield: or even :blackshield: if you need slimmer odds, but I wouldn't let the enemy defend.
The mechanic is like this: :orc: attacks in melee, close combat, but the :barbarian: is cunning enough to employ his dangerously spiked shield, not only to ward off the attack, but thrust the shield into the attacker, causing a potential killing blow if :skull: (or :whiteshield: or :blackshield: ) is rolled. You can't defend against a defense ;)

Nice use of the new dice smilies. They're intended for posts just like this. Reading this thread inspired their addition to the forum.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby el_flesh » June 7th, 2012, 11:15 pm

To represent a dynamic fight with counters and defenses over several actions, Beernut made a simple rule: if you defend with double or more the required shields, you can make a counter-attack. And yes, if you roll double defense or more, you can counter the counter. Of course, it takes a good DM to describe the action.

Something to think about in terms of representing an epic fight...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » June 7th, 2012, 11:36 pm

el_flesh wrote:To represent a dynamic fight with counters and defenses over several actions, Beernut made a simple rule: if you defend with double or more the required shields, you can make a counter-attack. And yes, if you roll double defense or more, you can counter the counter. Of course, it takes a good DM to describe the action.

Something to think about in terms of representing an epic fight...

:shock: I like that idea. It has a simplicity that fits well as an addition to HeroQuest. 8-)

An epic round could play out like this:
  1. :chaoswarrior: attacks :barbarian: rolling :skull: :blackshield: :whiteshield: :skull:
  2. :barbarian: , fully equipped, defends amazingly with :whiteshield: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
  3. :barbarian: counter attacks with :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
  4. :chaoswarrior: defends counter attack and somehow pulls off :blackshield: :blackshield: :skull: :skull:
  5. :chaoswarrior: counters the barbarian's counter attack with :skull: :whiteshield: :skull: :skull:
  6. :barbarian: defends counter attack but only rolls :skull: :whiteshield: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: and takes a hit.
  7. Players wipe sweat from their palms and continue breathing.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 8th, 2012, 2:45 am

torilen wrote:I do have to say, though, that the price is too high, in my opinion.
The regular shield only costs 125 gold, and allows defense against ranged attacks.

To make the spiked buckler really worth the price of 500 gold - as this seems to be Templar's goal -
let one white shield in the initial defense roll count double (not every white shield in the roll, but only one! - otherwise the buckler is way too powerful. I.e. using the spiked buckler you need x-1 :whiteshield: to block x :skull: ).

Example:
:orc: attacks :barbarian: with :skull: :whiteshield: :skull:
:barbarian: defends with :whiteshield: :skull: :blackshield: :whiteshield: :skull:

One of those :whiteshield: is enough to block both :skull: :skull:
The second :whiteshield: , in addition, can be used for the counter-attack, whichever way you want to play that out, then.

I think, this is worth 500 gold corresponding to the simple shield's 125.
And this is the version that can be taken into my houserules and armory.
Yay!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » June 10th, 2012, 4:03 am

Go for it knightkrawler! though it fits less well with my house rules, so I'll have to keep pondering...

torilen wrote:I like it. I do have to say, though, that the price is too high, in my opinion.
The regular shield only costs 125 gold, and allows defense against ranged attacks. After reading through the sjeng's scenario on how low the possibility to actually cause any damage during the hero's defense, I would have to say that a better price might be...let's say, around 275 or 300. That gives double plus some extra the price of a normal shield. That would more than cover the bonus ability to attack during a defense, but also takes into account the non-ability to defend against ranged attacks.

my :2cents:

All right, how about this?
For every surplus :whiteshield: rolled, the player inflicts an automatic hit on the enemy (instead of having to roll a battle dice). The monster can only defend using any :blackshield: it had in the attack roll.

This means that monsters whith a higher attack value is A) more difficult for you to roll additional :whiteshield: against, and B) if you succeed, the monster has a higher chance of scoring a :blackshield: on the attack that might save it. Also no additional dice roll has to be made.

So :gargoyle: rolls :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield:
:dwarf: with chainmail, helmet, and the spiked buckler defends with :whiteshield: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield:
:gargoyle: immideately suffers one hit. However, since it rolled one :blackshield: while attacking, it is unharmed and will survive to the heroes turn.

Now, if a :fimir: rolls :skull: :skull: :whiteshield:
and :dwarf: defends and again rolls :whiteshield: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield:
:fimir: Is stone dead.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 10th, 2012, 4:37 am

Now, that's a good rule. Also, worth 500 gold.

I like the mechanics as they are realistic. A monster attack with 3 skulls on 3 dice can be considered ruthless now without looking out for tactics and defense, so the hero can put the monster in its place by defending well. I like it.

Do you have enough dice, 4 to 6 for each player so that nobody can cheat? :D
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 11th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Actually, I liked the original rule you had come up with. My issue with it was simply the
cost of the spiked shield.
This new rule looks like it would work well, also, though I think it would be harder to make
the spiked shield "special" using the old rule over the new rule. The new rule does cut back on
extraneous dice rolling, as well, which we all know leads to longer game play without greater
rewards of fun. (i.e. just drags it the hell out).

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Templar » June 12th, 2012, 2:20 am

knightkrawler wrote:Now, that's a good rule. Also, worth 500 gold.

I like the mechanics as they are realistic. A monster attack with 3 skulls on 3 dice can be considered ruthless now without looking out for tactics and defense, so the hero can put the monster in its place by defending well. I like it.

Do you have enough dice, 4 to 6 for each player so that nobody can cheat? :D

I use normal dice as replacements if I need to. :P Though I'm thinking of buying some normal ones from that german website someone talked about...
And I find the mechanics appealing as the best defense against the shield is a godd attack value, rather than a good defense value. Pretty 8-)
torilen wrote:Actually, I liked the original rule you had come up with. My issue with it was simply the
cost of the spiked shield.
This new rule looks like it would work well, also, though I think it would be harder to make
the spiked shield "special" using the old rule over the new rule. The new rule does cut back on
extraneous dice rolling, as well, which we all know leads to longer game play without greater
rewards of fun. (i.e. just drags it the hell out).

I see pros and cons with both mechanics. The thing is, I have a hard time seeing the buckler being used against arrows and such. It really is designed for close combat, and I don't think it is big enough for effective missile-blocking. This, of course brings the price down...but the thing about 500 gold is in conjuction with another idea I have, so maybe I can work around it..

Anyway, thanks to all who have commented on this thread, you have helped me a lot. :D
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 12th, 2012, 5:32 am

Here is a clip from SATURDAY NIGHT DUNGEON; Beernut narrarates the action:

Mardoux attax Zebs! 3 defense shields STILL gets 2 damage! On his next swing 2 def allows a counter attack, but Zebs 2 skulls are defended by Mardoux, CLANG!

Lord Boner is attacked, and he makes a full counterattak on the Ogre, slicing deep into its Quadriceps.

Georgeous narrowly avoids the horses legs while rolling his tiny armor covered body, and is so enraged, he counter attax our own cavalry man, cutting the horse from chest to crotch!

Now Korisu is attacked. His excellent defense lets him get what the DM calls a "4 spank-bottom counter" on the Orc foolish enough to try and harm him.

The following physical attack of the Mage misses entirely, allowing such a counter, that Zebs saves the day again, taking its head off.

When the Orc attacks Georgeous, he counters it – but he is still drunk from the party and his axe whips thru the air where the Orc’s arm was; a total miss.

he has managed to cut the arm off the Orc he initially missed. But they attack him again. This time, his counter on the second Orc gets him another arm! There are now two uni-arm Orcs!

his excellent defense allows a counter - it splits open the Fimir's belly, its guts coiling out onto the floor, along with some green Fimir *lemony goodness*. OK. Imagine the pain you feel when part of your upper interior ASS falls out. His bladder loses all control from the pain and lets go at the same time, and you slip in it.

We love the DMs grafic descriptions of battle ultra-violence; none of those are mine!
It really livens things up, especially the encounter #1!
There really is no sub for Beernut. His descriptions alone make the game worth playing!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Cards