• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New shield idea

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

New shield idea

Postby Templar » June 7th, 2012, 10:49 am

As some of you may know, I have had loads of new weapons ideas for Hero Quest...some bad, some good, most all right. But ideas on the armour from my brain have been very, very scarce. :|

But I recently read an idea from someone, somewhere on this forum that popped into my head a few days later, which resulted in the spiked buckler. If anyone recognizes the mechanic and can point me to which person to thank, please do so ;)

Side note: I really want this to be a 500 gold item, so I'm prepared to modify it to make it so...

Anyway, here it is. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New shield idea

Postby Nerrad72 » June 7th, 2012, 11:27 am

Love the card image templar, I shall be using it. I think you need to thank Daria, sounds like the Swordman Barbarian Specialization she suggested.
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 7th, 2012, 11:29 am

"for every white shield rolled above the needed amount to save an attack, you may roll an out of turn battle dice against the attacker."

Question: can the initial attacker defend normally against this "shield riposte"?
* If yes, I think the card and the 500 gold coins are alright.
* If not, the abundant white shields could be added your next attack by the corresponding number of battle dice; the initial attacker defends normally.

Either way, I think the second option is easier and faster to be played out.
I think, 500 gold are ok if the extra defend dice is added against ranged attacks as well, but not against magical attacks.

Example: :orc: attacks :barbarian: 1 skull
:barbarian: defends: 3 white shields

:barbarian: attacks (with broadsword worth 3 AD) with 5 battle dice
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » June 7th, 2012, 11:38 am

good point knightkrawler, looks like I shall have more playtesting to do before I can decide. I do like both options
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 7th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I think it's good the way it is now.

:orc: attacks :barbarian: and rolls :skull: :whiteshield:

:barbarian: defends with :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

:barbarian: may roll 1 die to counter attack with his pointy shield, and rolls :skull:

:orc: dies.

The thing is: the chance of rolling more :whiteshield: than needed is pretty low. After that, you only have a 50% chance of rolling a :skull: for each die you may roll. So that's half of a low chance. I think that's mild enough for a bonus to the shield. And 500g is a good price for that. You might want to change the roll for the pointy shield counter attack from :skull: to :whiteshield: or even :blackshield: if you need slimmer odds, but I wouldn't let the enemy defend.
The mechanic is like this: :orc: attacks in melee, close combat, but the :barbarian: is cunning enough to employ his dangerously spiked shield, not only to ward off the attack, but thrust the shield into the attacker, causing a potential killing blow if :skull: (or :whiteshield: or :blackshield: ) is rolled. You can't defend against a defense ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 7th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Sjeng, you have a point.

It's a matter of taste, really... in my scenario, the attack is returned, the Barbarian attacks in a really fast action with both shield and sword, which is why I would combine those two into one roll and only let the opponent attack normally.

I don't know... Templar has to decide :D
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » June 7th, 2012, 5:00 pm

I like the idea of a shield spike.
Hows about this twist, the shield defends as normal but every black shield rolled, a point of damage on the attacker is scored.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Templar » June 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I don't know... Templar has to decide :D

Man...the pressure... :P
All ideas posted above can work! My basic thought was to roll the dice immideately and allow for defense, but I have to run a few simulations to decide on the most functional/my favourite option... :mrgreen:
Nerrad72 wrote:Love the card image templar, I shall be using it. I think you need to thank Daria, sounds like the Swordman Barbarian Specialization she suggested.

I think it is a persian shield. At least, that's what the page I googled said ;)
Indeed, I read the mechanic under Darias Swordsman Barbarian, but she in turn credited it to Thrawn.
Lots of interesting ideas on both pages! 8-)
Last edited by Templar on June 10th, 2012, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daria » June 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm

I was reading this and thought that was a really cool piece of equipment. Didn't even occur to me that it was based on my skill set. :P
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm

I like it. I do have to say, though, that the price is too high, in my opinion.
The regular shield only costs 125 gold, and allows defense against ranged attacks.
After reading through the sjeng's scenario on how low the possibility to actually
cause any damage during the hero's defense, I would have to say that a better
price might be...let's say, around 275 or 300. That gives double plus some extra
the price of a normal shield. That would more than cover the bonus ability to
attack during a defense, but also takes into account the non-ability to defend
against ranged attacks.

my :2cents:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Cards