• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I would...

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Big Bene » November 20th, 2014, 3:39 pm

whitebeard wrote:Perhaps the wizard could recover one spell for every 3 rooms he participates in clearing?

Waaay to complicated.
Well, I don't really see why the wizard should not safe his spells/mana/arsenal for the boss if this is the way the player wants to play. :?
Have a look ;)


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1401
Images: 11
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: Siebeldingen / Germany
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Goblin-King » November 20th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Because a lot of people think the wiz is the worst character because the only thing that makes him good is a limited resource.
The other characters can use powerful attacks every single turn, getting into the fray and the fun. Wizboy just lingers behind trying not to die.
Cynth's story is pretty typical. Either the wiz is wasting his spells, or he risks having unused spells at the end of the quest.

I'm not saying the spell system in HQ is terrible, but it's definitely flawed.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby knightkrawler » November 20th, 2014, 4:08 pm

cynthialee wrote:I can not agree that a shield should be needed. I have done a little sword play in my day and counter attacks are a matter of skill and preparation, you get a proper counter attack with well executed fencing skills.


Did you do a little two-handed battleaxe play, too?
It's more about the AD restriction than about the shield. I didn't put that into the idea explicitly, but it restricts the counterattack possibility to 3 attack dice with simple wording.
Plus, it differentiates shield from helmet other than that they are stackable.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Goblin-King » November 20th, 2014, 4:17 pm

If you play as a big breasted female hero, can you wear three helmets?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby cynthialee » November 20th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Goblin-King wrote:If you play as a big breasted female hero, can you wear three helmets?

Misogyny laden comment made me laugh.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Schmidt » November 20th, 2014, 5:42 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
cynthialee wrote:I can not agree that a shield should be needed. I have done a little sword play in my day and counter attacks are a matter of skill and preparation, you get a proper counter attack with well executed fencing skills.


Did you do a little two-handed battleaxe play, too?
It's more about the AD restriction than about the shield. I didn't put that into the idea explicitly, but it restricts the counterattack possibility to 3 attack dice with simple wording.
Plus, it differentiates shield from helmet other than that they are stackable.


Are you talking about HQ or The Awesomest Dungeon Krawler Ever Imagined?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 328
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby knightkrawler » November 20th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Schmidt wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:
cynthialee wrote:I can not agree that a shield should be needed. I have done a little sword play in my day and counter attacks are a matter of skill and preparation, you get a proper counter attack with well executed fencing skills.


Did you do a little two-handed battleaxe play, too?
It's more about the AD restriction than about the shield. I didn't put that into the idea explicitly, but it restricts the counterattack possibility to 3 attack dice with simple wording.
Plus, it differentiates shield from helmet other than that they are stackable.


Are you talking about HQ or The Awesomest Dungeon Krawler Ever Imagined?


knightkrawler wrote:
cynthialee wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:
Schmidt wrote:Barbarian Defensive Skill: Counterattack
If the adjacent monster attacking you does not roll any skulls you can counterattack it with 1 less C.D. than normal.


Waaayy O.P.! It means two attacks per turn for the barbarian in the sense of attack, waiting for his turn, move, attack, or finish off the monster with a second attack and then move.

I could see allowing a counter attack but I would have the Barbarian only get to roll those dice the bad guy rolled that came up as White Shields. (Also, if I allowed this mechanic I would insist that Firmir, boss Orks and Chaos Warriors may also take advantage of this rule.)


Maybe also only if equipped with a shield.


You had to make this a mess, didn't you? |_P
And I did notice that spelling of Dungeon Krawler. Awesome indeed.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby slev » November 20th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Goblin-King wrote:How easy is it to counter attack using only a sword compared to using a shield + sword?


Assuming both equally skilled sides are armed with equivalent arming swords and one also has a shield, the shielded fighter has more options and I'd expect them to win.

If I'm teaching newbies to fight, I can easily counter-attack no matter the arms on each side. Against experienced people, it's still possible, but it's mostly down to manoeuvrability.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Big Bene » November 21st, 2014, 8:53 am

Big Bene wrote:Well, I don't really see why the wizard should not safe his spells/mana/arsenal for the boss if this is the way the player wants to play.
Goblin-King wrote:Because a lot of people think the wiz is the worst character because the only thing that makes him good is a limited resource.
The other characters can use powerful attacks every single turn, getting into the fray and the fun. Wizboy just lingers behind trying not to die.
Cynth's story is pretty typical. Either the wiz is wasting his spells, or he risks having unused spells at the end of the quest.

As I see it, you try to help the wizard with his limited resource by limiting him even further.
The problem is not to prevent him "wasting" his spells (if he wants to) or to spare them for the boss (if this is what he wants), but to provide him with enough useful spells which are not overly powerful (and not overly expensive), but good enough to make him an active team member.
I think a mana system would go in this direction, as it makes the mage more flexible - he can choose to use the same not-so-powerful-not-so-expensive spell more than once if he finds it useful, OR keep the mana for a more powerful killer spell.

Thinking more theoretically, to really solve this problem, there would have to be a special rule-relevant task for wich the mage is specialized, as is meele combat for the barbarian and disarming traps for the dwarf.

But this goes back directly to our core problem: We are talking about the Heroquest wizard and the weaknesses he has in the Heroquest rules, compared to other Heroquest characters. In the perfect Dungeoncrawler, perhaps there should not even be fixed charcter classes.
Have a look ;)


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1401
Images: 11
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: Siebeldingen / Germany
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Schmidt » November 21st, 2014, 10:11 am

you mean like a Barzard or a Wizarian?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 328
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests