• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I would...

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Goblin-King » November 5th, 2014, 9:25 am

My experience from game making...

* combat tables sucks. Looking attack 4 vs defense 5 up gets tedious. Use simple HQ like mechanic
* Lots of cards for equipment is fun
* Doing bookkeeping and math homework to manage exp is anti-fun
* Levels and power creeping makes it a bitch to balance

That's really my greatest discovery... In the perfect game I would aim to make even the weakest goblin-tier monsters viable during the "end game".
Of course goblins should be easier to kill for champions, but they should never become obsolete.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Schmidt » November 6th, 2014, 1:33 pm

There should be different dice. :skull: :whiteshield: and :blackshield: should be present at least once on every die, giving the following combinations:
:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: white

:skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: red

:skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: yellow

:skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: green

:skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: blue

:skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: brown

:skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: pink

:skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: orange

:skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: grey

:skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: black

Did I get them all?
Last edited by Schmidt on November 6th, 2014, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 328
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby cynthialee » November 6th, 2014, 2:01 pm

I have some dice I ordered from Germany that has some faces with 2 skulls and 2 shields. Work great for spice. I occasionally allow the Heroes 1 roll per game session with "The Dice of Greatness" as I like to refer to them to reflect the favor of the gods. {Ragnar be praised} Sometimes they find a weapon that is temporary enchanted and it has X amount of uses of the special dice. I have potions (not cards, in the game notes only) that can be found that if drank allow the imbiber to use the dice for a handful of times.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby torilen » November 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I helped out a kickstarter for Custom Game Labs...they're making custom game dice.
I plan to order specialty dice similar to that just for HQ. My coloring is different, but
much like those you shown, schmidt.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby mitchiemasha » November 6th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Goblin-King wrote:In the perfect game I would aim to make even the weakest goblin-tier monsters viable during the "end game".
Of course goblins should be easier to kill for champions, but they should never become obsolete.


That's why MAM for them by default is so much fun. I chased a Goblin who kept getting sly digs in for a good few turns once. All because I got low movement rolls, I was like you lil *lemony goodness*. Now i love em!

Giving each monster a special ability keeps them in good standing as Heroes advance. The EWP needs to learn how to take advantage of the skills just like the Heroes need to learn how to use each other.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: August 14th, 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby mitchiemasha » November 6th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Those modular tiles reduce combinations. I like how the AHQ tiles work, they always fit. The inventory idea, that is great. The armory then would be those tokens. Sitting various things inside would be a mini game initself.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: August 14th, 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Anderas » November 7th, 2014, 4:39 pm

@Schmidt;

Do you know these?
Several dices for several weapon strengths & abilities apart from "one dice more or less"

http://www.shopping-guru.de/index.php?m ... Path=94_98

The modular tiles can have any form they like. They can overlap each other later, and it is no problem. You could for example change the layout of the main HQ Board by covering rooms with modular tiles.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Jafazo » November 7th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Goblin-King wrote:That's really my greatest discovery... In the perfect game I would aim to make even the weakest goblin-tier monsters viable during the "end game".
Of course goblins should be easier to kill for champions, but they should never become obsolete.


I feel that one of Hero Quests greatest qualities was simplicity. If that one element is preserved, your idea stays valid and I'm all for it. I totally agree with you on this statement. I'm reading through all these ideas shaking my head and smiling. I went through practically ALL the ideas listed here when I tinkered around with my Hero Quest game. There's just something special about watching folks run the same race.

Good Gaming folks, I'm enjoying the read
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
User avatar
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 199
Joined: September 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby knightkrawler » November 7th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Jafazo wrote:I feel that one of Hero Quests greatest qualities was simplicity. If that one element is preserved, your idea stays valid and I'm all for it. I totally agree with you on this statement. I'm reading through all these ideas shaking my head and smiling. I went through practically ALL the ideas listed here when I tinkered around with my Hero Quest game. There's just something special about watching folks run the same race.

Good Gaming folks, I'm enjoying the read


I also prefer a good read instead of posting anything creative in this thread, because I can't help but think you're all so very close but yet so astray.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Big Bene » November 18th, 2014, 8:09 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Those modular tiles reduce combinations. I like how the AHQ tiles work, they always fit.

Let me put an answer to this. Not to rebuff your critic - I know that my concept is all but perfct - but to make my reasons clear so to help us find the perfect synthesis for the "perfect" Dungeoncrawler.
I like the system of AHQ a lot, too, but it also makes the tiles "always fit" by reducing possible combinations. It is based on corridor segments of 5 squares length and rooms of 5 by five squares size. The dungeons are quite uniform. When they grow large they resemble a square pattern of corridors with the rooms set in the fields of this pattern. I thought that my system is both simpler (you only have one size of tiles in a pure square pattern) and more diverse, as every tile can contain anything, from corridors to rooms, to complete labyrinths. Of course I may be totally misleaded here, as it was a quick shot, and I never tried to lay out a test dongeon, not even on paper.
The inventory idea, that is great. The armory then would be those tokens. Sitting various things inside would be a mini game initself.
Thanks a lot.
Thinking about the "perfect" dungeon crawler, the question comes to my mind what are the real strenghs of a dungeon boarde game, what distinguishes it from everyday board games, but also from classic pen-and-paper rpgs. With the latter, they have obviousely much in common, but part of what makes them different and much of what makes their charme, is their "haptic" quality with real figures and furniture. So whatever adds to this "material" experience (of course, you have to keep the right measure here, too) adds to the game.
In this sense, I found the "heroes' base camps" of Dark World a really great idea. You could collect the actual minis of the monsters you slayed as counters for experience /advancement.
The inventory (computer game inspired as it may be) goes in the same direction.
Have a look ;)


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1401
Images: 11
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: Siebeldingen / Germany
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests