• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Gaming Table (Setups)

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby IvenBach » November 8th, 2013, 7:49 pm

My suggestion before you get going on it is to go to furniture stores and just look at the eye candy. Get ideas about what you like or think you may like. For me simplicity always trumps fancy. The bare minimum it should have an inset gaming area that can be covered by planks or some type of covering so you can keep it all set up and covered without having to take anything down. That's a big pet peve of mine setting up just to take it down. For any hinges or drawer handles/knobs go for the old dust-farting-librarian style handles. I have never heard of anything bad from them and when I was in school the handles had been there since 18## or so (joking) and they're still there (I'm guessing).

Image


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby IvenBach » March 18th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Gathering links to tables that I've thought had something I'd want in my own table. Now that I have a psuedo group coming together the idea of a gaming table is climbing my list of nice things I'd like to have. As much as I'd like something from geekchic I'd never dish out that much and would prefer a table I made myself (so long as it's done well).

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Game_Table_Plans - Side railing for dice seems a good idea.
http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/01/23/how-to-build-a-folding-warmachine-table/ - Simplest so far and yet elegant.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/913660/home-built-gaming-table - Cost effective.
http://www.ultimategamingtable.org/ - Plastic sheet on top of grid.

I'll go through several iterations but doing the research and whatifs right now.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby IvenBach » March 20th, 2014, 9:15 pm

http://foldinggametable.blogspot.com/ - This has got to be the most elegant solution I've come across for a table. The drawers are just the right size for everything you need. My :geek: senses are becoming elevated to those of :ugeek: and the urge to build is rising, and this time I have :2cents: I can do it with. YES!

Edit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1374073278/folding-gaming-table-for-rpg-and-miniatures - I keep finding good stuff. This one's an active Kickstarter too!
Edit2: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/894415/finally-finished-the-family-game-table - I need to stop looking...


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby Redav » January 11th, 2015, 11:01 pm

IvenBach wrote:My suggestion before you get going on it is to go to furniture stores and just look at the eye candy. Get ideas about what you like or think you may like.

Yup, that's the plan. We've started looking into this as a concept but we're still not sure whether we'll have a go at it or not. I've found a mob on the other side of our city who started building gaming tables a few years ago; http://www.grottogaming.com.au/ I have no idea how good they actually are and while they they're no Geek Chic, they're still not cheap.

IvenBach wrote:For me simplicity always trumps fancy.

Agreed. We'd probably try and style it to match our dinner table which is fairly a simple table (this unit is from the same line of furniture) with a chocolate stain finish.

IvenBach wrote:The bare minimum it should have an inset gaming area that can be covered by planks or some type of covering so you can keep it all set up and covered without having to take anything down. That's a big pet peve of mine setting up just to take it down. For any hinges or drawer handles/knobs go for the old dust-farting-librarian style handles. I have never heard of anything bad from them and when I was in school the handles had been there since 18## or so (joking) and they're still there (I'm guessing).

I think our current idea is;
• square table (maybe 1500 mm x 1500 mm - I still need to check the size of the largest board / tile game we play which is possibly Rivers, Roads and Rails and I should check the largest Axis & Allies game I have - not that it's ever been played! I should also decide what size HQ board I'll print out too)
• sits eight players
• removable legs for transporting home / moving house
• recessed playing area
• felt or similar playing area
• rail system on the side for extras
• one slide out desk for a dungeon master
• cover

At the moment the only extras for the rail system we'd go for are;
• card / piece tray
• cup / mug holder
• small desk (maybe)

What are peoples thoughts on a table size? We're still living in a townhouse so we'd consider this when we move into a real house but this size might be driven by space availability. We sat at our table last night and pretended it was 1500 mm wide and it felt okay but that was without taking into account anything that might be sitting in the rail system. Also, if we had a 100 mm wide border to the recessed playing area, that makes that area 1300 mm x 1300 mm which I think might be fine as we're used to 900 mm x 1800 mm with our existing table which is too long for players sitting at the end to get involved so we just play down one end.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master
 
Posts: 486
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby Goblin-King » January 12th, 2015, 5:18 am

Size depends a lot on what you plan to be playing.

If you play Warhammer, 40k or basically any other wargame you'll need 4' x 6'
If it's only for boardgaming I suggest you pick the one who requires the most space; spread it out on the floor in what you consider the optimal setup.
The board, cards, sheets, box for minis, snack bowls, drinks etc. etc.

Measure how much space that takes up. That'll be your minimum size.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby IvenBach » January 14th, 2015, 1:54 am

If you have the chance to play at different locations then you can take measurements at each place you try. Work with what you'll be doing the most and go from there. I'll one day at meself a gaming table but I'll bide my time dreaming about them for now. Keep us informed as to how it goes.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby Jafazo » January 14th, 2015, 2:41 am

My idea of the PERFECT gaming table/area is simpmy this...

A plastic folding table or two ($40each), 4 stools or comfortable folding chairs ($20each).

If you don't want to put anything away, just leave it all set up, otherwise, it saves TONS of space for alternative use. Throw in cheap $8 folding side tables for misc use and you have an easy to pack, effective and highly customizable gaming area for CHEAP.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
User avatar
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 199
Joined: September 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby Anderas » January 14th, 2015, 3:20 am

Cheap it is, but wobbly too. This is what refrains me from buying a foldable table.

I am thinking about 1200x1800, but already with 1200 mm i fear that it is difficult to reach the far end. If i read here that it should be even more... i don't know.
For me this is important right now. I will buy a table extra for gaming during the next month.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby knightkrawler » January 14th, 2015, 10:40 am

Anderas wrote:I am thinking about 1200x1800, but already with 1200 mm i fear that it is difficult to reach the far end.


If you consider that for a boardgame, the gameboard will sit centrally, leaving space to the sides for the players' "personal stuff" (sheets, cards, beer - all three are none of your business!9 then you can reach the opposite end of the gameboard without too much effort. We tend to stand up to do hardly reachable stuff and some of us have the "hold your shirt against your belly with one hand"-move down to science.
1,20m x 1,80m is what GK dubbed 4'x6' and should be near perfect gaming table size for the reasons he gave.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Gaming Table (Setups)

Postby Anderas » January 15th, 2015, 3:46 am

40k is the reason why i am thinking about a table with that size.

The problem is the market: I don't find a table of this size. Maybe I have to build it myself.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests