• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Problems Galore

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Goblin-King » March 23rd, 2013, 2:59 pm

I've tried painting minis using only ~8 base colors and I've tried using 20+ colors. Both have it's charm, but I'd recommend having lots of colors.
If you only paint a few minis or rarely find the time I'd say pick 8 base colors, as they have a tendency to dry out if you are too long to use it up.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Problems Galore

Postby drathe » March 23rd, 2013, 4:39 pm

wolfie907 wrote:mini wargaming is going out of business in thier vault for free you can download like 90 tutorial videos for free you can find them on youtube

It's sad. :( Matt, Dave and Dan are great people who have done a lot for my local gaming community. A lot for the online community too. The only positive from their situation is Dave might have more time to play some HeroQuest with my group. He plays a great Wizard. :D But it's not enough of a positive. We will only have one place left in the Niagara Region to buy and play miniature games. :(
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: August 16th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » March 23rd, 2013, 6:06 pm

bruenor wrote:Sadly if you continue to use budget paints, you'll continue to get budget results, sorry.

No need to be sorry. The ones that I've gotten have been good, well except for yellow. I realize that I'll need better paints to progress to a lot better results, and I'll make the transition as I can afford it.

Thanks for the heads up on that video notice. Those will really come in handy. I look forward to watching them. As for the miniwargaming store anything I've seen from them was good and seems like they were good guys. I've not bought anything from GW but from reviews and apparent past history it doesn't paint a pretty picture of the company. I'll get some painting in with spring break as I tear out and redo the bathroom. I can dream about any money left over will go to my mini buying budget.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » April 6th, 2013, 12:48 am

drathe wrote:
wolfie907 wrote:mini wargaming is going out of business in thier vault for free you can download like 90 tutorial videos for free you can find them on youtube

It's sad. :( Matt, Dave and Dan are great people who have done a lot for my local gaming community. A lot for the online community too. The only positive from their situation is Dave might have more time to play some HeroQuest with my group. He plays a great Wizard. :D But it's not enough of a positive. We will only have one place left in the Niagara Region to buy and play miniature games. :(

I got in on one of the video grabs and downloaded everything that interested me. I finally had time to watch through a couple and it's great stuff. Looking forward to finishing the remodel project I have going in favor of spending that time on my minis. I'll be sure to watch them all and try what I learn on my next mini I'll start on.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » July 13th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Now that I have some more free time with summer I can think about using it on some Heroquest. Has anyone printed out the cards that are available on the site? I'd like to have them fascimilate (is that even a word?) actual cards and not just print them out on standard paper. Any suggestions on they type or paper that is best suited for this and or the style of printer that would be best? I've thought about taking it to a Kinko's or similar copy place If an initial trial doesn't come out as well as I'd like.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Sjeng » July 14th, 2013, 2:22 am

well, search for the printing topic. Several tips there ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Daedalus » July 14th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Here's a link to the card printing topic in case you don't know where to search.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5329
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » July 14th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Thanks, so much more than I could have expected. This site and members are so helpful, timely, and nice.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » July 18th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Just did some more painting after a hiatus. I am having a troublesome time with following the same type of highlighting that Sjeng did in the photo below of his :chaoswarrior:. I wanted only a faint highlight but would either get a highlight that was too bold (too much color) or after watering it down the color could run too much and not leave straight lines. They ended up coming out bad and looking much worse that if they weren't there. Is there a method or trick to getting better highlights and having them stay where you want them to? I'm trying to do the same as what I did for my other Chaos Warrior but with orange for the rivets/skull and then use a faint purple to do the raised parts on the armor.

Sjeng: Image

Mine:
Image


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Sjeng » July 19th, 2013, 2:45 am

I simply use the same paint as the rest of the armour, and add a bit of white, trade all raised lines/areas broadly, then add more white, and do the same, much thinner. Some highlights may be a bit extreme (like the blue one, he's almost TRON like) but on the table, it looks fine to me. Remember, the minis are small, so you want the highlights to be seen. On a large photograph, you see much much more than in real life on the board.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests