• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby RemyT » November 21st, 2013, 4:43 am

This cover is absolutly not in HQ spirit. Well world of warcraft is a good comparison, every fantasy *lemony goodness* for actual teens is another. Too generic, very bland too. I must says that HQ without handpainted stuff is an error. This look like a new video game cover not a board game fill with miniatures. I don't says that aggressivly (week that's not the intent) but it's spanish fantasy not 80's british one. I mean it's enigma miniatures, avatar of war... Not this dark twisted but funny fantasy, tohing bring lord of the ring, elric and willow. It's just WoW, Fable, even Rayman...
My point is heroquest does'nt need so much, new graphic lines (but old illustration), Baldur's gates comes to my mind, so clarification of the rules. And most of all the true campaign mode with story and good quest. But really... Even that won't change the fact that we have fun with the ancient HQ and we will. Repeating all over isn't of any use. In fact thats useless to a point comparable to the new Conan film... So I'll continue to play HQ with every bit of 80's GW in it. And sorry for the probably passionnate guys from spain. We don't need another heroquest, just a cool dungeon crawling game with simples rules, a lot of EXPLORATION,easy roleplay and campaign mode.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
RemyT

Zombie
Zombie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: October 18th, 2012, 8:33 am
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby Sinned » November 21st, 2013, 7:11 am

Ok, my view on this:

I remember when it came out, when I first played it (at a friends house) and when I bought it. (in fact, I bought the base set and RotWL and KK at the same day....at the V&D warehouse in Eindhoven :mrgreen: ).
The day I bought it was early 1991, I was 15, and it inspired my to start reading LotR, the Hobbit, and 6 months later I bought AHQ, and in 1992 (or was it 1993?) WoM. (I got AotH many years later from eBay since it wasn't released here).

Regarding HQ and loads of other things: I'm a purist. I said here earlier that I only want to play with official releases and only with the HQ/AHQ minis (and the minis that were shown in the AHQ rulebook; the Troll, the Undead Champion, the Daemonette etc etc). I'd love to add MotM and FH to the collection as well, but NOT for the insane prices people ask on eBay.

For me, this means that I 'can't' add new stuff. Yes, some homebrew stuff looks great, but unless it's exact the same material/quality of the originals I won't play with it.
Is this a problem? Not really, since I don't play HQ a lot.

Also, the original HQ has a certain 'feeling' and 'style'. Hard to describe, but let me try with a few words: British, oldskool, vintage GW.

The best thing that could happen would be a re-release of the 'old' HQ and it's expansions. Same titles, slightly better board, same minis, more cards......and new expansions (the Dwarf and Wizard set for example).

Now, the new HQ (I'll call it HQ25) does offer the chance of having new expansions, more cards, a better board etc.
But for me the question is: how will it look? Will it have the same 'feel'. As someone posted here: it kinda looks a bit spanish and yes: it has that WoW/Batman animated style (which I really don't like).
Still: it's all a WIP so I'll have to wait for the final result.
(and then there's a the legal stuff, price, etc....)

IF I buy it it will be mostly for collecting reasons.....and for the future (when my kid is old enough to play) (unless it looks fantastic and I instantly love it of course!)

A friend of mine (one of my regular players) said this week: "it has bootleg written all over it. There are many people who made homebrew expansions and just because these people have secured (?) the rights it's suddenly the new HQ...even though it has a new logo and none of the artwork is the same as the original. What if we had the rights and made our own version; it would never be the official version".

He has a point with this.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
User avatar
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 271
Images: 11
Joined: February 21st, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby knightkrawler » November 21st, 2013, 7:36 am

RemyT wrote:HQ without handpainted stuff is an error.


Exactly.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby Sjeng » November 21st, 2013, 7:44 am

You know, the whole artstyle thing is really a good observation. I knew about it, but it never really occured to me that nowadays, just about everything is the same art style!

WoW of course, and Batman animated.
Orcs Must Die!
Mark of the Ninja
Zombicide

Thankfully, Mice and Mystics is handpainted (or at least a different style, drawn on a PC), and so is MYTH.

Oh and Munchkin, don't forget Munchkin. That's different too. :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby chaoticprime » November 21st, 2013, 7:59 am

RemyT wrote:This cover is absolutly not in HQ spirit. Well world of warcraft is a good comparison, every fantasy *lemony goodness* for actual teens is another. Too generic, very bland too. I must says that HQ without handpainted stuff is an error. This look like a new video game cover not a board game fill with miniatures. I don't says that aggressivly (week that's not the intent) but it's spanish fantasy not 80's british one. I mean it's enigma miniatures, avatar of war... Not this dark twisted but funny fantasy, tohing bring lord of the ring, elric and willow. It's just WoW, Fable, even Rayman...
My point is heroquest does'nt need so much, new graphic lines (but old illustration), Baldur's gates comes to my mind, so clarification of the rules. And most of all the true campaign mode with story and good quest. But really... Even that won't change the fact that we have fun with the ancient HQ and we will. Repeating all over isn't of any use. In fact thats useless to a point comparable to the new Conan film... So I'll continue to play HQ with every bit of 80's GW in it. And sorry for the probably passionnate guys from spain. We don't need another heroquest, just a cool dungeon crawling game with simples rules, a lot of EXPLORATION,easy roleplay and campaign mode.


You get em', Boo! Go for the eyes!

Also, Wayne Reynolds' art is the biggest influence on gaming in keeping that design style going. He's a cool guy--his historical art is tits.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby torilen » November 21st, 2013, 9:47 am

Yeah, WoW is exactly what that looks like. Guess they're doing like everyone else (cough - wizards of the coast),
and trying to attract the video gamers (think someone already mentioned this?).

I honestly don't have a problem with modern fantasy artwork, as long as it doesn't look like a computer game.
Todd Lockwood is good for this - a lot of his stuff is computer art, and it looks like a computer game - he, though
is able to do artwork that looks "real".

Why can't we get back to the artists in the quality of Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Keith Parkinson, Clyde Caldwell,
and Frank Frazetta? They did modern fantasy art, changing with the times as needed, but it was still real art.

And whatever happened to black and white?


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby chaoticprime » November 21st, 2013, 10:18 am

Brom should do a Heroquest painting.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby Patroclus » November 21st, 2013, 11:52 am

knightkrawler wrote:
Hi,

Here the new cover of front box!!!! :) (in WIP of course)

Image

I hope that you like and enjoy it

It’s a boardgame, the art is so important as the graphics to the video games. And I can say that this is too f**ing far from being HQ. I know even Gary Chalk on the front cover of AHQ was very cartoonish, but it was Gary. THIS is nickelodeon… Now, I don’t want to buy it… I don’t want to play a cartoon game on my table, and I don’t want to see the new kids playing a HQ like that. If it was a magazine no problem, but we are talking for HQ godd@mned…

I prefer to stick with the original version here, sharing ideas and other stuff with people who really love this game…


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby knightkrawler » November 21st, 2013, 11:58 am

Are you following this, GameZone? Spanish instigators? Anyone?

Know what I would have known from the very start if I would have initiated a project like that? I would have known that art like this would be VERY unpopular. VERY.
The nerve you guys seem to have is beyond me.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: News: Gamezone plans a Heroquest reboot

Postby Patroclus » November 21st, 2013, 12:43 pm

I will give two examples of remakes… the first is the talisman. The new version from fantasy flight has a very good artwork and keeps the feeling from the old times. The old version from GW was very retro but I can’t say it is better than the new one.
Image
The second is the space hulk… the new version from GW looks like a video game, and I prefer the old one, but the modern looking is still very nice.
Image
I want to say that the modern look is not so bad if you respect the main feeling and the history of each game…

I don’t think this happens here:
Image


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest