• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Have you read through it?

Discuss HeroQuest: The Fellowship of Four, the first HeroQuest novel by Dave Morris.

Have you read through it?

Postby drathe » April 11th, 2009, 7:00 pm

I just sat down with the book for the first time last night and this afternoon. It's quite short and easy to get through. Obviously this was a commissioned book to reap the rewards of the hype that is HeroQuest. Other than the four heroes' race, some weapon types and a few spells, HeroQuest it really is not. Just your average fantasy adventure story, geared toward boys around the age of 10. A decent little story never-the-less as fantasy goes. A bit of action, magic and some smiting of Orcs. All a fantasy fan trying to kill a bit of time could ask for. Not exciting enough for me to jump into the next book right away, but perhaps on some lazy afternoon in the future, I might pick it up.

The last third of the book is filled with a little DnD/Choose-Your-Own style adventure. Meant to be played either solo or with friends. I took one trip through it, but it wasn't thrilling enough to venture a second time, even though the adventure differs depending on your choices and chances. I believe I will stick to the board game for my gaming fix, thank you very much.

Has anyone else dared to dwell within the pages of this book? If so, what are your thoughts and impressions?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Have you read through it?

Postby zep » May 23rd, 2009, 9:17 am

Nope. Never had a chance to get my hands on a copy.
Rosemary baby, I got the thyme
zep

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » November 1st, 2010, 12:47 pm

i have a very loved copy of it.
as it goes the story is a nice little piece of pulp fantasy, but no conan. i did the page turn adventure and your right its nothing to write home about but i remember there also being a wizards quest map at the back of the book! i'll have to dig out my copy to make sure- that's assuming my nephew hasn't stolen it!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ancalagon » March 23rd, 2011, 10:45 am

I got the book yesterday. sadly the first four pages are missing. could anyone please tell me what is on these pages? or even scan them for me? and what is teh last page? in my copy it is the soloquest nr 135, is this the last page??
"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows. Neither do I...."
"It's skill not a blade that ensures victory!"
Ancalagon

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member

Postby Skulmar » February 3rd, 2012, 6:10 pm

I read the Fellowship of the Four the novel part recently... The last few days I have been working on a quest map based on the novel i posted it on the Hero Quest Addition Quest and Quest Pack sections...I haven't had the chance to read the adventure game at the back of the book... I wonder if that would even be possible to make a quest map based adventure part of the book. Guess I would have to read it to find out if it could be done...

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog.
Skulmar

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » February 3rd, 2012, 6:46 pm

Ancalagon wrote:I got the book yesterday. sadly the first four pages are missing. could anyone please tell me what is on these pages? or even scan them for me? and what is teh last page? in my copy it is the soloquest nr 135, is this the last page??

Nearly a year old and I totally missed this post.

The final page of the book is In the Night Season adventure note #135 (with the picture of gold on it).
The story itself begins on page 5. But there is an excerpt near the beginning.
Excerpt (Page 1) wrote:'A soft but ominous noise broke in on Fortunato's thoughts - a dragging footstep, followed by a ghastly groan. it came from close behind.

Asgrim, though at the front, was the first to react, whirling like a tiger, a snarl already forming on his lips as he raised his sword to confront a new foe. Then he froze, and for an instant his face went blank with horror. "By all the gods..." he said.

The others turned to see what sight could have dismayed even the mighty barbarian. All of them gave a shudder of sick fear. Advancing down the steps towards them were the two orc cadavers from the chamber above. Animated by noxious sorcery, their mouths hung slackly to reveal swollen tongues, and their rolling eyes were rimmed with gore. Howling horribly, they swung their mattocks and bore down upon the four adventurers...'

Follow the tale of four adventurers - a wizard, an elf, a barbarian and a dwarf - as they join forces to prevent the reawakening of a terrible demon whose power would destroy the world. Read carefully for a quest awaits you too, In the Night Season. Accept the challenge, choose your role and set forth as an adventurer and, possibly, a hero...
HeroQuest: The Fellowship of Four is based on the bestselling fantasy board game, HeroQuest.

From there, Page 2 is blank. Page 3 is the title page and Page 4 contains all the copyright information. Pages 1-4 are not numbered.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 17th, 2013, 7:53 pm

I found this at a game store, but it was not for sale and nobody knew who owned it. I read through it. I will stop laughing some day.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » November 18th, 2013, 12:48 am

I have all three novels, and I liked those. Maybe a little blank, but I think their worth reading. My :2cents:
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » November 19th, 2013, 9:46 pm

They were certainly simplistic, but I still read them, and it does seem like there could be a tiny bit of potential for a quest or two among the three books. I see one person is already working on it or thinking about it. Good luck.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » February 27th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Read this recently. Nice little story. If nothing else, it justifies Fire of Wrath being used on monsters not in the Wizard's LOS.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Novel: The Fellowship of Four