• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Some code perhaps?

Discuss Running the Gauntlet, published in the second HeroQuest Novel, The Screaming Spectre by Dave Morris.

Some code perhaps?

Postby Daedalus » July 6th, 2011, 1:51 pm

So, what's with the mysterious inscriptions in room A ? ( West wall: VXU , South wall: VJSII , East wall: UPI ) Some code perhaps?
What about the chiseled inscription found in the south corridor:
. . . . .PORT . PUX
STARBOARD . MEVIS
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Some code perhaps?

Postby Big Bene » July 7th, 2011, 2:45 am

you probably have to have read the novel to understand this.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » July 7th, 2011, 2:46 pm

It's either a Red Herring, or something the quest designer forgot to develop further. There's no mention of the code in the rest of the book.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » July 8th, 2011, 6:08 am

Wow, I'm ogre! |_P
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 11th, 2011, 3:43 pm

drathe wrote:It's either a Red Herring, or something the quest designer forgot to develop further. There's no mention of the code in the rest of the book.

Thanks for the clarification. If it's a Red Herring, the author is cruelly narcissistic to publish it for so many young readers to dwell on. After all, if a red herring is included, then another correct option should be present to justify it. If the author instead forgot to develop it further, well then he was at the least unprofessional. Don't throw in a role-playing puzzle and then not bother to finish it! Nobody I've read has done that with their Quest notes.

Unfortunately, I made a real attempt to solve it with my amateurish code-breaking skills. That amounts to a Wikipedia search for port (lar) and starboard (steorboard), thinking they might provide the key... goose-eggs. Left and Right certainly don't fit, and that would have been more in line with the younger audience. I also tried a general substitution of all alphabet letters for the 3-letter 'coded' words, and then the 5-letter 'coded' word if the first two looked at all possible. Goose-eggs again.

Would have been cool if 20 minutes or less of code breaking would have provided useful Quest information, such as S door Galimatius. Sadly, this book deserves obscurity.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » October 2nd, 2012, 11:24 pm

Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » October 3rd, 2012, 1:19 am

:smack:

Simple once it's spelled out for you. I'd like to take my group through this quest once they're finished their current pack.

Thanks for posting your find!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm

@Nephew of Mentor-

Thanks a heap for that link to the explanation of the code. I'm still of the opinion that it was too tough for the projected audience (non-code breakers). It seems simple, but guessing the key subtitution words was a leap beyond everybody that was reported on. At least Dave Morris provided the answer to the fans in the end.

If I ever play this, I'll throw in an extra clue--maybe as the key words on a piece of paper, written as a numbered list. To make it even easier, add the comment "The answer is simple...", but the paper is torn. It could be placed with either of the Chaos Warriors, or as two torn pieces, one clue on each Chaos Warrior.

Dave Morris wrote:Not that it's going to kill anybody if they didn't crack the code--it's just there for flavor, and the Cabiri didn't design their underworld to be fair, after all!

The second part of this statement is obvious enough, but I disagree with the first part about not killing anybody. A lone Wizard is only as powerful as his arsenal of spells. As the first room has 3 choices, there is only a 1 in 3 chance that 1 to 6 monsters ( :goblin: :goblin: :mummy: :fimir: :fimir: :chaoswarrior: ) and maybe a trap won't be encountered before the left or right choice of the code is possible. That means the Wizard is probably weakened. If he locates the secret door (easy to do, there's even an inscription nearby to mark it), then there's a 50/50 chance he's going to run into the Gargoyle with perhaps half his spells. If the Wizard attacks, he's probably a goner. I think that killed quite a few sans-artifacts, offensive Wizards who didn't crack the code and take things in the optimal order. Hell, even if he did go the right way first, it's a tough march to the artifact. I think the Wizard should definitely have some goodies before he undertakes this Quest.

:wizard: + :gargoyle: = :skeleton:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » October 22nd, 2012, 7:21 am

Wow!

I actually put in some time to "solve" this. Extracted roman numerals, added them, subtracted them, counted traps, doors, monsters, rooms... :smack:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » November 7th, 2012, 7:06 am

I know the answer :p
Of course, only now I noticed it's in Nephew of Mentor's link.
Thought I'd come up with news here.
Last edited by knightkrawler on November 7th, 2012, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Running the Gauntlet