• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

So how do you use the wand at the end?

Discuss Running the Gauntlet, published in the second HeroQuest Novel, The Screaming Spectre by Dave Morris.

So how do you use the wand at the end?

Postby Fullork345 » November 14th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Do you let it enable the wizard to cast every spell twice? I know it gives +2 mind and resets the spells for the quests, but for those who have had the wizard keep the wand and defeat the other 4 wizards, what effects did you have the wand do?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: So how do you use the wand at the end?

Postby Sjeng » November 15th, 2013, 6:07 am

I view the effect as a 1 time only effect during the quest. The mind points stay as long as he carries the artefact.

Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 25th, 2013, 6:23 pm

I think Sjeng has it right. From the Quest: "Here, amid the clutter on the bench, lies the Wand of Galimatias. Immediately upon taking up this item, the adventurer recovers all the spells he has used so far in his quest through the labyrinth. The Wand also gives a bonus of 2 Mind Points."

The recovered spells are only for those used in the quest through the labyrinth. It isn't mentioned that other spells may be recovered in a new location or later time. The 2 Mind Points transfer nicely into later Quests, however. I'd say it's worth the fight if Munzak is along and the Wand of Magic was gotten. The Cabiri lords are jerks anyway for making you do their dirty work.

I might make it necessary to actually hold the wand to gain the benefit of 2 bonus Mind Points, as they were gained by taking up the item, not simply possessing it. That means fighting with a staff prevents its use.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » November 26th, 2013, 9:35 pm

That was another thought, wouldn't it be useless since you'd rather use the wand of magic anyfor the two two spells? Or use the staff?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 27th, 2013, 7:58 am

I'd just give it to the wizard as an accessory. Like the amulet of the north. 1 accessory slot for each hero allowed. (or maybe 2 tops).
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 19th, 2014, 2:00 am

Fullork345 wrote:That was another thought, wouldn't it be useless since you'd rather use the wand of magic anyfor the two two spells? Or use the staff?

It certainly would greatly restrict its benefits. It still would be useful for resisting spells that required dice to be rolled, especially the AtOH spells Mind Lock, Mind Blast, and Dominate. Switching items isn't prohibited, so as a free action the wand could be equipped and used.

My houserule sets a limit of one equipping/stowing free action per turn, so any two-handed item already in hand must be dropped or can't be used if a Hero wishes to equip another item as a free action that turn. A Hero could instead stow a staff and then use a wand on his next turn.

Now that I think about it, it should be possible to hold the staff in one hand and use a wand in the other. A wand would have to be equipped and stowed as a free action when using a staff. Another combination is to have two wands held and possibly used, each held in one hand.

My houserule limits a staff/wand combo to half effectiveness for the wand, but still retains some of it's usefulness. A staff may be used to attack, and then a wand may be equipped as the equip/stow free action in the same turn. This would allow the +2 MP benefit to take effect. To continue attacking with the staff on the Wizard's next turn, the wand must be stowed as the single equip/stow free action that turn. Every other turn the Wand of Galamatius could be equipped for use while continuously attacking with a staff in this manner. Otherwise, the staff could be held, stowed, or dropped, and the wand could be retained for continuous use.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » January 19th, 2014, 10:44 am

Probably a noob question, but where do you get this artifact? I have never played the EU only expansions but have glanced over them. Did I miss it in one of them?
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » January 19th, 2014, 11:55 am

Running the Gauntlet
A solo Quest for the Wizard, published in the Dave Morris Novel, HeroQuest: The Screaming Spectre.

The clue is in the location of the topic at the top of the page ;)
Board index ‹ HeroQuest ‹ Published Quest Releases ‹ Running the Gauntlet
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » January 19th, 2014, 11:56 am

JasonMCM wrote:Probably a noob question, but where do you get this artifact? I have never played the EU only expansions but have glanced over them. Did I miss it in one of them?

This is in "Running the Gauntlet" section ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » January 19th, 2014, 4:56 pm

I so totally fail. Is there a rock around here that I can crawl under?
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Running the Gauntlet