• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ahh SDE. The game that got me back into board games.

Topics related to Super Dungeon Explore

Ahh SDE. The game that got me back into board games.

Postby defttitan » May 24th, 2019, 2:41 pm

I think an artist friend of mine was telling me one night about how he and his son bonded over several hours while putting together the minis in this new Super Dungeon Explore.

That was enough for me to bite, and I ordered it.

I was hoping for a dungeon crawler like Hero Quest, I certainly liked the minis and the monsters. This game is not at all that though. As mentioned elsewhere, it's a board game trying to be a video game (gauntlet from arcade/NES) , and trying to do so with cute chibi-style over-the-top characters. The heroes battle through the dungeon as fast as possible trying to take out the spawn machines, and the DM uses his spawn machines to keep the dungeon full of monsters and take out the heroes. If too much blood is shed, or all the spawn machines are taken out, the boss pops.

The rules are complex as hell, and some mechanics are vague enough that there are many many versions of official Errata that came out from the game designers to address the various interpretations.
The minis, made by Cool Mini or Not, are fantastic. Assembly required for the core game early versions, but they are just so damn cute.

All in all though, fun game. I ended up buying a lot of the expansions and cut my teeth on painting minis with this game.

A theme like this, with rules as simple as HeroQuest, would go a long way!
defttitan

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ahh SDE. The game that got me back into board games.

Postby Goblin-King » May 24th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I played a heck of a lot of the very excellent 1st edition
Got bored with 2nd edition's rule bloat
Died when 3rd edition's kickstarter failed to deliver... :cry:

I think using the SDE components to make a HeroQuest-esque dungeon crawler would be relatively simple.
The SDE combat system is really nice and clean.
There's a high diversity of both monsters and heroes.

The only issue I see, is that the heroes explode with power with just a few pieces of loot.
Loot would need to be really really rare - or a system where the heroes were forced to discard loot occasionally.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby defttitan » May 25th, 2019, 12:13 am

healing and potion abilities seemed to be a make or break mechanic also. The right heroes could exploit dice probability, . Likewise the wrong heroes without healing were doomed.
defttitan

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Goblin-King » May 25th, 2019, 2:49 am

with ~50 unique heroes to pick from, some are certain to be better and worse than others.
Even among the original 8 heroes, the Ember Mage and Royal Paladin were obvious strong picks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby defttitan » May 25th, 2019, 9:21 am

For sure! I really liked this game. I would like to bring it to the table more. Arcadia Quest, Sword & Sorcery, and Descent 2e took over, but I will always love the painted minis.
defttitan

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Return to Super Dungeon Explore Room