• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Game board for this quest?

Discuss Inn of Chaos, published in Adventures Unlimited Magazine #5.

Re: Game board for this quest?

Postby Nlinindoll » April 18th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:To make it look above ground, you could paint grass textures outside the walls I suppose. The blood, bones and stones could still be there in a inn that has been trashed and corrupted as much as the one in that quest has...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Grass on the outside. Wood floor like the "Inn" tiles for the inn. Straw or dirt for the shed and stables. Maybe something a little prettier (rows of flowers along the lines of the squares) for the walled garden. I don't think it will reveal too much. There are still doors, furniture, and Dread monsters to place when the heroes explore the board.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cornixt » April 18th, 2022, 3:56 pm

If I was doing a completely new board for the quest, I'd move the rooms about as much as possible just to make it very different to the original board.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » April 18th, 2022, 8:31 pm

If it was a basic board and you revealed buildings/rooms as the Heroes entered (like the original) then it could be useful. Instead of hallways it would be outside area. I wouldn’t make it custom to fit just the one quest though. Can always have the gray areas still (locked buildings and garden walls blocking outside area off).
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Nlinindoll » April 18th, 2022, 8:43 pm

j_dean80 wrote:If it was a basic board and you revealed buildings/rooms as the Heroes entered (like the original) then it could be useful. Instead of hallways it would be outside area. I wouldn’t make it custom to fit just the one quest though. Can always have the gray areas still (locked buildings and garden walls blocking outside area off).

I agree. All of the outdoor maps in this forum’s gallery are TOO CUSTOMIZED. I’m looking for something a little of the middle of the road…. Outdoors, customized for this quest but still generic enough that it could be used for other outdoor quests as well.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » April 18th, 2022, 10:01 pm

Nlinindoll wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:If it was a basic board and you revealed buildings/rooms as the Heroes entered (like the original) then it could be useful. Instead of hallways it would be outside area. I wouldn’t make it custom to fit just the one quest though. Can always have the gray areas still (locked buildings and garden walls blocking outside area off).

I agree. All of the outdoor maps in this forum’s gallery are TOO CUSTOMIZED. I’m looking for something a little of the middle of the road…. Outdoors, customized for this quest but still generic enough that it could be used for other outdoor quests as well.

I wouldn’t put the pond in the middle. I would leave that as a tile. That would make the board more versatile.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 19th, 2022, 10:15 am

Green felt table cover + modular outdoor tiles... presto! I guess if you want it all to be enclosed in one building then maybe not.

Perhaps a big transparent overlay with layers added...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » April 19th, 2022, 11:09 am

If you know someone with a Blood Bowl pitch, you get a mostly grassy field with squares marked on it already.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 19th, 2022, 12:03 pm

Does it use squares or little white crosses to indicate edges of squares? Maybe that was a homebrew I saw...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » April 19th, 2022, 6:08 pm

The official pitches use black crosses, but so many homemade ones I'm sure a few use white crosses.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nlinindoll » April 19th, 2022, 9:11 pm

I think I've found my solution... pretty much what I was looking for. There's a "Rural Board" that will work well here: http://north-american.yeoldeinn.com/tiles-big-bene.php
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Inn of Chaos