• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Translating German StarQuest + PC game extras

Topics related to Space Crusade

Re: English Translation of German Star Quest [Partial]

Postby Gold Bearer » February 7th, 2022, 10:08 am

Space ogres replace gretchin and are basically androids, only difference is they shoot with 1 red + 1 white insead of with 3 white, same average score (1.5) but gives them a slightly better chance of beating marine armour. They're affected by diffent event cards of course, and the gretchin bomber event card is replaced with ork bomber.

Parasites aren't really monsters, they're more like traps and you can't kill them. They attack on the alien turn if you're standing next to one of their squares, using 1 red dice I think.

There's also a Mother Sucker (yes really), soulsucker queen. Can't really remember what she does except it's different depending on which side of her you are.I don't think she can move.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » February 7th, 2022, 11:08 am

Thanks Gold Bearer, very interesting! So sounds like they went again with the "Gene Stealers are xenomorphs" inspiration line (to me they are space fimirs).

I was looking for screenshots of these creatures but haven't found any yet. I guess I will have to learn the game and play my way through hoping to find some, unless anyone else has any screen grabs to share! I'd love to incorporate any new material into the board game if possible for the sake of variety.

I see the maps can be converted by mostly just looking at the little game "radar" and arranging the boards (hopefully) as close as possible to that.

And each of the two expansions adds its own piece of board...

Found some screen caps from the Atari ST version of "Space Crusade: Voyage Beyond"... (pictures of the Alien player varies by edition too I see).

Edit: the "Soul Sucker" identity is confirmed!

Hmm... so maybe I was wrong, I thought the little green skinned guys were gretchens but if they're not in the game those must be the Orcs and the bigger guys with yellowish skin must be the Space Ogres... ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on February 7th, 2022, 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 7th, 2022, 1:46 pm

More shots... any help is appreciated in identifying these characters.

Okay found a front shot of the Soul Sucker (from the Amiga version). Kind of a Xenomorph with blades for hands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Translating German StarQuest + PC game extras

Postby Kurgan » February 7th, 2022, 1:58 pm

Other pics. Fancy paintjobs! The game uses bright colors for the Dreadnought and Ork Armor (to be fair, matching painted figures I've seen).

That the Space Ogres kind of remind me of the HeroQuest Ogres makes a certain amount of sense. Cool to see the names these characters were given. I've seen pages that even give personal names to each of the monsters. I guess nothing stopping you from doing that in the game, similar to HeroQuest once again. :mrgreen:

Added shot of the DOS version with Gretchen.
Last edited by Kurgan on February 7th, 2022, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » February 7th, 2022, 5:56 pm

Yea that's what those enemies are. The unknown one I think is a mission objective, it moves but doesn't attack if I'm remembering right, long time ago.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 7th, 2022, 6:28 pm

Nice, and thanks. It seems in the video games, the objectives are a little more varied than just kill everyone.

I like the look of the Alien Player in the DOS version. "The Voyage Beyond" (either as a stand alone game or as a data disk for the main Space Crusade game) was released on Atari ST and Amiga only it appears.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 7th, 2022, 7:21 pm

Is this the "parasite"? It seems to be some kind of grabby thing that emerges out of a nearby obstacle.

My package delivery for Space Crusade is well and truly delayed, not sure when I'll be getting it now... :(

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » February 7th, 2022, 7:36 pm

Please, Kurgan.... stop uploading awesome screenshots of Space Crusade's videogame or I will be forced to start playing!! hahaha

I am not as fan of Space Crusade as of HeroQuest but I recognize SC's game mechanics had withstood quite well the pass of time. I think it was a really good and interesting product.

The only big problem I remember has SC is its difficulty, which I remember so hard, but maybe because I did not know how to play well without killing all my legionaries...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 8th, 2022, 10:16 am

Haha... ;)

I was thinking with a 3d printer one could design new "arms" for the HeroQuest Ogre (since the arms are removable) to give them a sci fi weapon, and make it fit with Space Crusade as the Space Ogre.

There is also this Reaper Mini (Space Henchman) I found that looks kind of appropriate, even if he's handsomer and slimmer than the 1990's version.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » February 8th, 2022, 11:01 am

Yea that looks like a parasite, I think that's the Amiga version. I had the ST version so it looks slightly different, they both have annoying bugs. Looks like the parasite attacks with 1 red + 1 white, just don't stand next to one.

HispaZargon wrote:The only big problem I remember has SC is its difficulty, which I remember so hard, but maybe because I did not know how to play well without killing all my legionaries...
It's not that hard once you get used to it, you just need to get used to the order and equipment cards. Imperial Fists can struggle a bit with dreadnoughts but the other two can take them out with a melta bomb, Blood Angels can use photon grenades at the same time which will usually kill it.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Space Crusade Room