• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

German box scan

Topics related to Battle Masters

German box scan

Postby Laserschwert » December 9th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Back when I was young, the one thing that absolutely convinced me to get "Battle Masters" (or "Die Claymore Saga" as it was called here in Germany) was the massive box the game came in. And to this day the fantastic cover artwork by Chris "Fangorn" Baker still brings back those fond memories of a game, which by today's standards isn't even that great. Anyway, I took some effort to "scan" the German box front, alhough "scan" isn't the right term here. I actually took a bunch of close-up photos, stacking them (for noise reduction and to increase detail - "super resolution" is the magic word) and stichting them together into a 300dpi version of the too-big-for-any-scanner cardboard lid.

Here's a shrunk down view of it:

And here you can download the full-size image (TIFF, 58 x 38.36cm, 300dpi, 68.1 MB)

Granted, there are still some smaller scratches and blemishes I could paint out, but for something that has no real use, I guess it's good enough. Ideally I would like to get rid of all the logos, text and blurbs (to make some different version out of it for poster printing), but for that I'd need a very big, clean version of the artwork. Games Workshop's "White Dwarf" magazine printed a full version of the (textless) artwork in issue 156, and I've already ordered a copy of it to scan it. We'll see if the quality is sufficient to paint out some stuff (and possibly even extend the artwork).
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: German box scan

Postby clmckay » December 9th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Wow! Amazing quality. I'm speechless at the dedication and attention to detail that went into this. Thank you.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » December 10th, 2018, 1:37 am

This look fantastic! What did you do to keep a glare off the box when you took the pictures?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Laserschwert » December 10th, 2018, 4:23 am

StratosVX wrote:This look fantastic! What did you do to keep a glare off the box when you took the pictures?

I just lit the box from the sides. I did it at night, when there was no daylight coming in, so I could easily place my lights (just two bright LED desk lamps) where I needed them. Also no flash photography, since that most of the times creates reflections on the box.
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Anderas » December 10th, 2018, 4:34 am

It also makes for some nice card art :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Laserschwert » December 10th, 2018, 4:41 am

Anderas wrote:It also makes for some nice card art :-)

Those aren't made from my image, right? Because the flag on the axe card is different :D
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Anderas » December 10th, 2018, 4:44 am

Yes they are :D Can't just keep the Battle Masters Flag, I had to play a bit of course :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Laserschwert » December 19th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Well, here's the magazine scan:

Not as sharp as I hoped it would be.
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby lestodante » December 19th, 2018, 6:30 pm

You do some amazing scans!! If you are searching for ideas, you could scan the HeroQuest metal prototypes from the box or from White Dwarf magazine n. 113.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » December 19th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Thanks for your service to the community.

HeroQuest is what got me into DnD. Battle Masters is what got me into Warhammer. And I still play both to this day!

I didn't know the German title. That is badass.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Battle Masters Room